Thanks Guys

  • William Coyne
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 30, 2003

      Brain_Solenoid

      Maryland USA.  I just returned this month from living one year abroad.  I too am worried about the clandestine activities that may be required to test my apparatus and recipes.  I am hoping BATF will have a license for those operating a still for strictly educational purposes.  As an individual, not a school, I have a feeling this is going to be a problem.  I have operated a successful small business before and know a bit about the hassles of paperwork at the state, local, and federal levels.  I am fairly certain the zoning in my area prohibits alcohol manufacturing in a residential area.  If that is true, and I legally test the product/still here, I will be forced to spending a ridiculous amount of money on R&D.

      I am not stuck on a reflux still design, but what it could produce did seem to be the ideal product for my customers.  Everclear is a good panty remover.  I think its illegal to sell in some areas of the US now.  Everclear is easily mixed, flavored, and diluted with water.  It is the later qualities of Everclear I find most useful.  I was not planning on selling 190+ proof alcohol.  I did consider selling a 100 proof mixed with water (if its legal) along with some other potent fruit flavored beverages.  I will be receiving legal advice from the embassies involved and have already, through other unrelated issues, befriended some of the ranking National Police in the country.

      Chris

      Exactly.  Advertising and transportation costs will be minimal or non-existent.  Individuals and businesses able to sell liquor will come to you.  Mexico is a bit developed for my tastes, compared to its Central American cousins, but it does have the advantage of a large and comparatively affluent community.   Undeveloped markets have special needs if you are going to succeed.  Attempting to apply �1st world� business models, marketing, and ideals without addressing the other issues is why so many businesses, big and small, fail in developing countries.  It is also why experienced charities squander millions of dollars, in the same communities, without effect.   This lack of understanding of the locals needs is a good thing for the savvy entrepreneur.  See you on the beach!

      Tony

      No, I have not finished computing the entire cost of production yet.  Once I have determined if the project is reasonably profitable, which at first glance it appears to be.  I may try distilling on a small scale in the US if its possible (legal).  If not, I will probably collect the information and materials needed to jump into it head first when I move.  Licensing issues, taxes, and such are much more forgiving in developing countries.  I am fairly certain the same will be true of waste disposal.  However, I do have to admit I overlooked waste disposal problems and my conscience would not allow me to damage the ecosystem there.  The distillery would not be my primary source of income so I have some room to make mistakes while learning. If it were to become my primary source of income I would not be unhappy.  :)

      Mike

       I had considered all the costs you mentioned but one, �branding�.   Who do you contact for information about branding?  That is like a patent on your recipe or company name?  Is this something that is necessary if you are not exporting?  If so, that will be an added cost.

      To Randy, Peter, Zoran, ConfederateRebel, and the rest of the guys who were helpful.

      Thanks for the info and links.

      Lastly, Bokakob

      I am new to the distillery groups but I have already seen where you have made valuable contributions. So I found your feeble troll-like response quite a surprise.  Please try to remember what your mother should have taught you.  �If you don�t have anything constructive to say, keep your mouth shut.�

      Bill

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • bokakob
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 30, 2003
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, William Coyne
        <coynefamilia@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        learning. If it were to become my primary source of income I would
        not be unhappy. :)

        > Mike
        >
        > I had considered all the costs you mentioned but
        one, "branding". Who do you contact for information about
        branding? That is like a patent on your recipe or company name? Is
        this something that is necessary if you are not exporting? If so,
        that will be an added cost.

        > To Randy, Peter, Zoran, ConfederateRebel, and the rest of the guys
        who were helpful.

        > Thanks for the info and links.
        >

        > Lastly, Bokakob
        > I am new to the distillery groups but I have already seen where you
        have made valuable contributions. So I found your feeble troll-like
        response quite a surprise. Please try to remember what your mother
        should have taught you. "If you don't have anything constructive to
        Thank you Billy! Now by using my mental powers and materializing it
        in physical form I am taking away my last phrase in my reply to your
        initial inquiry!

      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 30, 2003
          William Coyne wrote:
          Subject: [new_distillers] Thanks Guys

          Mike
          I had considered all the costs you mentioned but one, "branding". Who do
          you contact for information about branding? That is like a patent on your
          recipe or company name? Is this something that is necessary if you are not
          exporting? If so, that will be an added cost.
          ======================
          Hi Bill,
          Not a clue I'm sorry to say, particularly as we are continents apart.
          However, it will be no different to establishing a logo, and when I set out
          to do that for my little company a few years ago, it turned out to be a very
          expensive exercise, mainly due to the cost of the search needed to ensure
          that I wasn't using someone else's logo .. or something like it. There is
          the sad but true tale of a guy who ran a small dairy (corner shop) way up in
          Northland here in NZ, way out in the sticks. Mr Harrod had no trouble with
          calling his shop under the name of Harrods, until some bunch of clowns on
          the other side of the world sued him for using "their" name. It caused some
          mirth down here in the boondocks, until it became clear that the London
          store of that name was deadly serious.

          Good luck with your enterprise Bill ... but for goodness sake, don't call it
          "Harrod's Vodka"
          Mike N
        • Brian Bashford
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 30, 2003
            Stick to names no-ones ever used before. I suggest Smirnoff, Bacardi or Jack Daniels,  they sort of roll of the tongue.

            Brian B.
            Good luck with your enterprise Bill ... but for goodness sake, don't call it
            "Harrod's Vodka"
            Mike N

          • vector180
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 30, 2003
              and they tend to roll down the throat.
              BTW I beta test various software packages. I was wondering if you will
              be requiring beta testers for your endeavour:) hick

              Brian Bashford wrote:
              > Stick to names no-ones ever used before. I suggest Smirnoff, Bacardi or
              > Jack Daniels, they sort of roll of the tongue.
              >
              > Brian B.

            • Darryl Ward
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 30, 2003
                The "brand name" I use for my vodka is "Chyetirye Lapi" which is Russian for "Four Paws".

                It is called this because you need all four limbs to walk on if you drink enough of it!

                Cheers

                Darryl
                Stick to names no-ones ever used before. I suggest Smirnoff, Bacardi or Jack Daniels,  they sort of roll of the tongue.

                Brian B.
                Good luck with your enterprise Bill ... but for goodness sake, don't call it
                "Harrod's Vodka"
                Mike N

              • brain_solenoid
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 30, 2003
                  Bill, Mike,

                  > I had considered all the costs you mentioned but
                  one, "branding". Who do
                  > you contact for information about branding? That is like a patent
                  on your
                  > recipe or company name? Is this something that is necessary if you
                  are not
                  > exporting? If so, that will be an added cost.
                  > ======================
                  > Hi Bill,
                  > Not a clue I'm sorry to say, particularly as we are continents
                  apart.
                  > However, it will be no different to establishing a logo, and when I
                  set out
                  > to do that for my little company a few years ago, it turned out to
                  be a very
                  > expensive exercise, mainly due to the cost of the search needed to
                  ensure
                  > that I wasn't using someone else's logo .. or something like it.

                  In the U.S., depending on the state, you can "copyright" your company
                  name by applying for a business license. A copyright merely sets a
                  time as to when you first used the name in the greater public market,
                  so to speak. In the state I line in, you can call a 1-900 number
                  (that's how they get paid) and apply for a company name over the
                  phone. They also do a search to make sure you're not using the same
                  name as another company.
                  There is also an "implied copyright" for a product name, which
                  basically means that because you have been using it in the market so
                  long that you have legal right to it. Unfortunately, I had to come
                  down on a retail beer shop who wanted to use basically the same
                  product name for the same type of beer we had already established in
                  the market. I hated to do it, but there was definitely going to be
                  confusion, and we had sunk the money into developing / promoting the
                  name.

                  There is also a "trademark", which protects your logo and image from
                  use by another. A trademark for, say, "Coca-Cola", will protect that
                  red swirly lettering, but not the name "Cola". "Cola" is a type of
                  beverage and is general use. A copyright, as is my understanding,
                  will protect against the use of "Coca-Cola" in other advertising /
                  marketing for profit by another company.

                  In the U.S., as I mentioned, a copyright establishes when you came up
                  with the name and went to market with it........it does not mean you
                  were the first to use it.
                  A trademark does a very similar thing and includes logo / graphics.
                  It is customary to do extensive searches to ensure your not violating
                  someone elses trademark.

                  > There is
                  > the sad but true tale of a guy who ran a small dairy (corner shop)
                  way up in
                  > Northland here in NZ, way out in the sticks. Mr Harrod had no
                  trouble with
                  > calling his shop under the name of Harrods, until some bunch of
                  clowns on
                  > the other side of the world sued him for using "their" name. It
                  caused some
                  > mirth down here in the boondocks, until it became clear that the
                  London
                  > store of that name was deadly serious.

                  My Brewery has also been the recipient of a similar item as to your
                  poor Mr. Harrod, but with regards to a product name. We are such a
                  small business that when we recieved the letter from this BIG
                  regional Brewery I almost thought it was a joke as well. It was
                  perceived, by them, that we were using part of their product name in
                  our product name for one of our beers.

                  I called their attorney and made my case and we got off the phone
                  with an inconclusive result. A year goes by, I get another letter.
                  I call again, and this time iterate that the logic behind the
                  association between my product and theirs is in their minds only, not
                  the public's. In fact, our products are not even similar and my
                  usage of the word they were trying to protect was the root word in a
                  much larger word. Geez, talk about distilling.......I thought they
                  were really stretching it to show that we violated their copyright.

                  I also mentioned that we had market recognition and costs involved in
                  product placement. The attorney asked how much we had invested and
                  could I show reciepts for it for a possible name buy-out (I
                  couldn't). I was asked to swag a number and they'ld cut a check, but
                  my pride wouldn't allow me to do it since I felt we were right and
                  it's the principle, right?

                  Can you spell D*U*M*B*A*S*S......I thought you could!

                  Anyway, they dropped it, we have our product name, and I didn't get
                  any cash! Pride is great for quality standards and customer
                  satisfaction, but everything else is for sale.

                  Regards,
                  BS
                • vector180
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 30, 2003
                    I reckon it would take a fair few drinks just to say it.
                    ill stick to
                    "na zdarovja"

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 30, 2003
                      I use "Smuggler's Cove", after a local bootlegging drop off point on
                      the coast.

                      BS

                      > I reckon it would take a fair few drinks just to say it.
                      > ill stick to
                      > "na zdarovja"
                      >
                      > Darryl Ward wrote:
                      > > The "brand name" I use for my vodka is "Chyetirye Lapi" which is
                      Russian
                      > > for "Four Paws".
                      > >
                      > > It is called this because you need all four limbs to walk on if
                      you
                      > > drink enough of it!
                    • peter_vcb
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 1, 2003
                        i have named my various batches liver-killer, widowmaker and Imperial
                        Count Petrovsky (after myself!)

                        what does "na zdarovja" mean??

                        Peter
                      • waljaco
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 1, 2003
                          The Russian form for the toast 'Good Health' is "na zdorov'je"
                          (Cyrillic script), the Polish is "na zdrowie", the Ukrainian is "na
                          zdorovja" (Cyrillic script). The j is pronounces as the y in young or
                          j in jung.
                          Wal
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
                          <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
                          > i have named my various batches liver-killer, widowmaker and
                          Imperial
                          > Count Petrovsky (after myself!)
                          >
                          > what does "na zdarovja" mean??
                          >

                          > Peter
                        • Darryl Ward
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 1, 2003
                            Hello Wal

                            Are you by any chance a Polish Count?

                            The reason I am asking as I used to know one who lived in New Zealand for a
                            while, Count Geoffrey Potocki de Montalk.

                            He was a very fascinating and extremely eccentric individual.

                            Darryl

                            I do not suppose he is a relative?

                            > The Russian form for the toast 'Good Health' is "na zdorov'je"
                            > (Cyrillic script), the Polish is "na zdrowie", the Ukrainian is "na
                            > zdorovja" (Cyrillic script). The j is pronounces as the y in young or
                            > j in jung.
                            > Wal
                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
                            > <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
                            > > i have named my various batches liver-killer, widowmaker and
                            > Imperial
                            > > Count Petrovsky (after myself!)
                            > >
                            > > what does "na zdarovja" mean??
                            > >

                            > > Peter

                          • waljaco
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 1, 2003
                              A Polish Count? Nuh!
                              Eccentric? Maybe.
                              The Potocki family is well known in Polish history, but Geoffrey is
                              not a common Polish name and the de Montalk is a strange francized
                              form (My-talk?) - maybe appropriate for an eccentric individual.
                              Relative? I hope not.
                              Waldemar von Nordhausen
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Ward" <taliesin@p...>

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 1, 2003

                                    The attorney asked how much we had invested and
                                  could I show reciepts for it for a possible name buy-out (I
                                  couldn't).  I was asked to swag a number and they'ld cut a check, but
                                  my pride wouldn't allow me to do it since I felt we were right and
                                  it's the principle, right?

                                  If your happy, you did the right thing.  What was the name they wanted?

                                  Bill

                                  Do you Yahoo!?
                                • confederaterebel@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 1, 2003
                                    I know the names get old after awhile but my personal favorite is what the old timers called "squirrel liquer".  Ya drink enough "shine" and ya drop yer gun and climb the tree and get the squirrel with yer bare hands........lmao. I don't believe this is a copyright but check first.
                                  • Chris Alexander
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                                      Nobody has chased me down yet for using Regocijo de Burro. For you
                                      english speakers, it translates as Donkey's Delight, named for the
                                      famous Burro de la Roqueta, an alchoholic donkey who for twenty years
                                      earned a living for his owner chugging beers for tourists.

                                      cheers.............................................Gringo Chris
                                    • brain_solenoid
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                                        > .............Donkey's Delight, named for the
                                        > famous Burro de la Roqueta, an alchoholic donkey who for twenty
                                        > years earned a living for his owner chugging beers for tourists.

                                        Hahahahaha! I love it! A beer chuggin' donkey......sure beats the
                                        dog I had that would lap up all the spilled beer at parties.

                                        I guess you could say he made an "ass" of himself! Oh, man, I
                                        couldn't resist!

                                        Actually, this is a neat thread..........giving names denotes pride
                                        in our work.
                                        Anyone else have names that they use for their handcrafted home
                                        Distillery?

                                        Regards,
                                        BS
                                      • Jan Holten
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                                          brain_solenoid wrote:

                                          Actually, this is a neat thread..........giving names denotes pride in our work.
                                          Anyone else have names that they use for their handcrafted home Distillery?

                                          Yes; I call my booze 'Copperhead' -- it bites :-/ The attached label is my latest;
                                          'Kubanskaya', a flavored vodka.

                                          Jan.
                                        • Brian Rowe
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                                            I call my creations "Boot Licker"

                                            > Actually, this is a neat thread..........giving names denotes pride in our
                                            work.
                                            > Anyone else have names that they use for their handcrafted home
                                            Distillery?

                                            > Yes; I call my booze 'Copperhead' -- it bites :-/ The attached
                                            label is my latest;
                                            > 'Kubanskaya', a flavored vodka.
                                            >

                                            > Jan.
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                          • brain_solenoid
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 3, 2003
                                              How do you attach files to these posts? I was trying to upload my
                                              label, but can't seem to find the selectable to allow me to do
                                              that........

                                              Thanks!
                                              BS
                                            • William Coyne
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 3, 2003
                                                If you are using yahoo for email, look under subject for the "attach files" link.

                                                Let me know what email software you are using if your not writing from Yahoo's internet page.

                                                I am sending an attachment just to make sure I can do what I said.

                                                The attachment is nothing.

                                                Bill

                                                brain_solenoid <brain_solenoid@...> wrote:
                                                How do you attach files to these posts?  I was trying to upload my
                                                label, but can't seem to find the selectable to allow me to do
                                                that........

                                                Thanks!
                                                BS

                                                Do you Yahoo!?
                                              • spoliatio
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                                  Hi Brian
                                                  If you use Outlook Express for your " normal " mail just attach your
                                                  picture in the usual way, subject, Thanks Guys, and address the post
                                                  to new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                                  Look forward to seeing your label.
                                                  Spoliatio

                                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brain_solenoid"