Re: [new_distillers] Irrigatoin pipe and ethanol

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2003
      where have you been before?!!!! i already made my still!!!

      vector180 <Vector180W@...> wrote:
      Just a follow up on irrigation pipe v ethanol debate
      From what I can tel both Moss and Toro/Pope use polypropylene(PP) Pipe
      and fittings. I then did a search on polypropylene  and this is what
      http://www.orionfittings.com/J/j14.htm
      had to say.
      "Generally speaking, the chemical resistance of polypropylene and
      polyethylene is considered superior to that of metals. They are
      unaffected by most inorganic acids, alkalis, and aqueous solutions which
      rapidly corrode metals, although some concentrated acids and oxidizing
      agents can attack them, especially at elevated temperatures. "

      they then had a chemical resistance list and ethanol come out OK. Unless
      I have missed something somewhere the irrigation pipe that Im using
      might be ok. Im going to set up a little test vial with some 85% ethanol
      and a piece of plastic and see what it does.

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?