Re: [new_distillers] Greetings from a Newbie

  • Darryl Ward
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
      That's weird.... I just tried again and my browser settings are all fine.

      I will try again tomorrow.

      In the mean time, what I was wanting to look up is what is the average percentage of sugar in apples?... as I have just started a batch of calvados (apples brandy.

      I seem to recall it was somewhere between 10% and 20 - could someone please enlighten me.

      Many Thanks

      Darryl
      Date: Wednesday, 30 April 2003 8:43:59 AM

      I have found the http://homedistiller.org/ site to be down when I have tried to go there overthe past few days.

      Has anybody else run into this problem?

      Darryl
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
        corn......check yer farms that are goin bust.......dairy farms are great for stainless holding tanks from 300 gal +.....look up local auctions. last farm i worked on had a 500 gal tank. has a pour valve on bottom and a manhole up top with flip lid and seal. would have to modify i'm sure.
      • CornFed (Randy)
        Message 3 of 16 , May 4 3:04 PM
          http://www.distill.com/specs.html this webpage lists specific
          requirements of ethanol producers in various countries.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, William Coyne
          <coynefamilia@y...> wrote:
          > Hello, I am new to the group. My name is William Coyne. I am a
          wannabe moonshiner who is currently masquerade as a computer
          technician. :) I don't know much about the alcohol manufacturing
          process. I just started educated myself on the subject, via the
          internet, this week. My goal in joining your discussion boards is
          to learn how to manufacture a reflux still and the feasibility of a
          business idea I have been entertaining. I want to distill alcohol for
          profit, outside the US, legally. The still plans I have seen on the
          internet tend to be half-keg size or smaller. Small professionally
          made reflux stills of 100-600 gallons are available on some internet
          sites but appear to cost 10s of thousands of dollars. To this
          prospective moonshiner these stills look like a piece of fine dining
          room furniture or silverware. I am not furniture shopping, I need a
          working tool. The true beauty of any tool is measured in its value
          on the job. That said, does anyone have any suggestions where I could
          buy stainless steel, or copper, equipment that could be used in the
          creation of a 300+ gallon reflux still? or know of an economic
          alternative for sale? (I would prefer the boiler be made of stainless
          steel for safety and cleanliness.) Does anyone have plans for a still
          heads that size? Could you take smaller still plans and just scale
          them up? Also, I have read a little at the different sites about
          output and such. One still company wrote me that I could
          expect, "Our 100 gallon still will produce about 25 to 30 gallons of
          140 proof alcohol a run, at an estimated run time of 3 to 4 hours,
          counting heat up time." I asked for output figures with either
          potatoes or corn as the mash ingredient. Do these numbers sound
          realistic? Since that email I learned you can use table sugar to
          make your liquor. (assuming tasteless ethenol is your goal) If the
          company based their output on potatoes or corn and I switched to
          table sugar does that mean I could double those output figures? Do
          you think gas is a safe and economical way to heat the boiler?
          Besides labor is there any other significant costs involved in the
          production of liquor? IE. Any costly equipment I am overlooking?
          Thanks,Bill coynefamilia@y...

        • Brandon Lee
          Message 4 of 16 , May 4 3:16 PM
            William-- i recently ran across a man who had constructe a s.s. still operation for fuel purposes-- he has a license to produce 10,000 gals. per year-- he is selling out his sheet metal business and this is part of it-- the unit  if i am not mistaken is about 300 gal. capacity-- it is professionally built and it fired with propane fuel--i am of no need of such but would be happy to inquire as to the asking price of this setup-- he has a large farm and used it to produce fuel for his tractors-among other things--
            your brother in the spirits
            Blueflame456

            <coynefamilia@y...> wrote:
            > Hello,  I am new to the group.  My name is William Coyne.  I am a
            wannabe moonshiner who is currently masquerade as a computer
            technician.  :) I don't know much about the alcohol manufacturing
            process.  I just started educated myself on the subject, via the
            internet, this week.   My goal in joining your discussion boards is
            to learn how to manufacture a reflux still and the feasibility of a
            business idea I have been entertaining. I want to distill alcohol for
            profit, outside the US, legally.  The still plans I have seen on the
            internet tend to be half-keg size or smaller.  Small professionally
            made reflux stills of 100-600 gallons are available on some internet
            sites but appear to cost 10s of thousands of dollars.  To this
            prospective moonshiner these stills look like a piece of fine dining
            room furniture or silverware.  I am not furniture shopping, I need a
            working tool.  The true beauty of any tool is measured in its value
            on the job. That said, does anyone have any suggestions where I could
            buy stainless steel, or copper, equipment that could be used in the
            creation of a 300+ gallon reflux still? or know of an economic
            alternative for sale? (I would prefer the boiler be made of stainless
            steel for safety and cleanliness.) Does anyone have plans for a still
            heads that size?  Could you take smaller still plans and just scale
            them up? Also, I have read a little at the different sites about
            output and such.  One still company wrote me that I could
            expect, "Our 100 gallon still will produce about 25 to 30 gallons of
            140 proof alcohol a run, at an estimated run time of 3 to 4 hours,
            counting heat up time." I asked for output figures with either
            potatoes or corn as the mash ingredient.  Do these numbers sound
            realistic?   Since that email I learned you can use table sugar to
            make your liquor.  (assuming tasteless ethenol is your goal)  If the
            company based their output on potatoes or corn and I switched to
            table sugar does that mean I could double those output figures? Do
            you think gas is a safe and economical way to heat the boiler?
            Besides labor is there any other significant costs involved in the
            production of liquor?  IE.  Any costly equipment I am overlooking?
            Thanks,Bill coynefamilia@y...

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • William Coyne