Greetings from a Newbie

  • William Coyne
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
      Hello,

      I am new to the group.  My name is William Coyne.  I am a wannabe moonshiner who is currently masquerade as a computer technician.  :)

      I don't know much about the alcohol manufacturing process.  I just started educated myself on the subject, via the internet, this week.

      My goal in joining your discussion boards is to learn how to manufacture a reflux still and the feasibility of a business idea I have been entertaining.

      I want to distill alcohol for profit, outside the US, legally.  The still plans I have seen on the internet tend to be half-keg size or smaller.  Small professionally made reflux stills of 100-600 gallons are available on some internet sites but appear to cost 10s of thousands of dollars.  To this prospective moonshiner these stills look like a piece of fine dining room furniture or silverware.  I am not furniture shopping, I need a working tool.  The true beauty of any tool is measured in its value on the job.

      That said, does anyone have any suggestions where I could buy stainless steel, or copper, equipment that could be used in the creation of a 300+ gallon reflux still? or know of an economic alternative for sale? (I would prefer the boiler be made of stainless steel for safety and cleanliness.)

      Does anyone have plans for a still heads that size?  Could you take smaller still plans and just scale them up?

      Also, I have read a little at the different sites about output and such.  One still company wrote me that I could expect, "Our 100 gallon still will produce about 25 to 30 gallons of 140 proof alcohol a run, at an estimated run time of 3 to 4 hours, counting heat up time."

      I asked for output figures with either potatoes or corn as the mash ingredient.  Do these numbers sound realistic?   Since that email I learned you can use table sugar to make your liquor.  (assuming tasteless ethenol is your goal)  If the company based their output on potatoes or corn and I switched to table sugar does that mean I could double those output figures?

      Do you think gas is a safe and economical way to heat the boiler?

      Besides labor is there any other significant costs involved in the production of liquor?  IE.  Any costly equipment I am overlooking?

      Thanks,
      Bill

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
        Billy, it is difficult to answer to all of these questions. You are asking a recepie for a successful business in a nut shell. It is possible, it is do-able, however I wonder who is going to provide a free lunch? A few minor questions of understanding is a pleasure to answer, but providing a curriculum in business of liquor production is outside of my scope. Why don't you gather info, digest it, understand the process and then get required licenses. I doubt that other countries allow free production of alcohol. Besides I am sure all countries have taxation on imported alcohol products as well unless you are going to be the real moonshiner (in which case you have cheers from the local mob). I am myself a "wannabe" but at least I know the scale of things involved in this area. I am interested to follow up on this thread myself. In any case -- good luck.

        William Coyne <coynefamilia@...> wrote:
        Hello,

        I am new to the group.  My name is William Coyne.  I am a wannabe moonshiner who is currently masquerade as a computer technician.  :)

        I don't know much about the alcohol manufacturing process.  I just started educated myself on the subject, via the internet, this week.  (snip) bhla bhla bhla

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
          Hi Bill

          first off go to www.homedistiller.org and read everything.

          some issues will be heat supply and cooling supply. multiple columns
          will be something to consider too. your boiler material is not very
          important. i would use a new plastic oil tank myself if i went large
          scale.

          you will bouble the output figures but not the output time if you
          double the % of the wash.

          if you are planning on selling it as drinking alcohol i am sure you
          will have to pass many legal regulations which tend to cost a fortune.

          Peter

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, William Coyne
          <coynefamilia@y...> wrote:
          > Hello, I am new to the group. My name is William Coyne. I am a
          wannabe moonshiner who is currently masquerade as a computer
          technician. :) I don't know much about the alcohol manufacturing
          process. I just started educated myself on the subject, via the
          internet, this week. My goal in joining your discussion boards is
          to learn how to manufacture a reflux still and the feasibility of a
          business idea I have been entertaining. I want to distill alcohol for
          profit, outside the US, legally. The still plans I have seen on the
          internet tend to be half-keg size or smaller. Small professionally
          made reflux stills of 100-600 gallons are available on some internet
          sites but appear to cost 10s of thousands of dollars. To this
          prospective moonshiner these stills look like a piece of fine dining
          room furniture or silverware. I am not furniture shopping, I need a
          working tool. The true beauty of any tool is measured in its value
          on the job. That said, does anyone have any suggestions where I could
          buy stainless steel, or copper, equipment that could be used in the
          creation of a 300+ gallon reflux still? or know of an economic
          alternative for sale? (I would prefer the boiler be made of stainless
          steel for safety and cleanliness.) Does anyone have plans for a still
          heads that size? Could you take smaller still plans and just scale
          them up? Also, I have read a little at the different sites about
          output and such. One still company wrote me that I could
          expect, "Our 100 gallon still will produce about 25 to 30 gallons of
          140 proof alcohol a run, at an estimated run time of 3 to 4 hours,
          counting heat up time." I asked for output figures with either
          potatoes or corn as the mash ingredient. Do these numbers sound
          realistic? Since that email I learned you can use table sugar to
          make your liquor. (assuming tasteless ethenol is your goal) If the
          company based their output on potatoes or corn and I switched to
          table sugar does that mean I could double those output figures? Do
          you think gas is a safe and economical way to heat the boiler?
          Besides labor is there any other significant costs involved in the
          production of liquor? IE. Any costly equipment I am overlooking?
          Thanks,Bill coynefamilia@y...

        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
            William,

            >I don't know much about the alcohol manufacturing process. I just started educated myself on the subject, via the internet, this week.

            Start small. Learn on a 25L still, and see if its really for you.

            >I want to distill alcohol for profit, outside the US, legally.

            No matter where you are, you will be required to meet the local regulations, and require licencing. Where were you planning on setting up ? Dont think about doing it illegaly - you will easily be identified from the bulk sugar purchases you make.

            >The still plans I have seen on the internet tend to be half-keg size or smaller.

            We're into it as a hobby, not a business. If you want to do it commercially, I'd recommend that you consult the experts, who have done this many times before. There is a lot more involved than just the simple scaling up of a hobby design. Have you thought through the details such as disposal of the by products ? Most councils would object to you simply dumping thousands of litres of spent wash straight into the drains untreated.

            >Small professionally made reflux stills of 100-600 gallons are available on some internet sites but appear to cost 10s of thousands of dollars. To this prospective moonshiner these stills look like a piece of fine dining room furniture or silverware. I am not furniture shopping, I need a working tool. The true beauty of any tool is measured in its value on the job.

            The people buying those stills will be like yourself - I'm sure that they dont have money to burn. You're paying for the quality of the materials & fabrication, as well as the interlectual value of a proven design.

            >That said, does anyone have any suggestions where I could buy stainless steel, or copper, equipment that could be used in the creation of a 300+ gallon reflux still? or know of an economic alternative for sale? (I would prefer the boiler be made of stainless steel for safety and cleanliness.)

            Try scrap metal yards, those supplying the dairy or food industries.

            >Does anyone have plans for a still heads that size? Could you take smaller still plans and just scale them up?

            The head is relatively straight forward. The problem is that of the column - deciding on a suitable packing to use that will stand up to continuous use & require minimal cleaning. You'll then need to size the height & diameter to your power input and desired purity.

            >Also, I have read a little at the different sites about output and such. One still company wrote me that I could expect, "Our 100 gallon still will produce about 25 to 30 gallons of 140 proof alcohol a run, at an estimated run time of 3 to 4 hours, counting heat up time."
            >I asked for output figures with either potatoes or corn as the mash ingredient. >Do these numbers sound realistic?

            Yes. Depending on the heat source, you can produce as fast as you like (within reason. But then its a matter of sizing the gear around it to suit.

            > Since that email I learned you can use table sugar to make your liquor. (assuming tasteless ethenol is your goal) If the company based their output on potatoes or corn and I switched to table sugar does that mean I could double those output figures?

            You should use what is an economical source of fermentable sugars. Increasing the sugar might increase the % alcohol present (if you use suitable yeasts), but it just means that you'll collect more at the end of the day - not that you will necessarily collect it any quicker. It takes a certain amount of energy to vapourise an ethanol molecule - if you dont supply any more heat, you wont get any more vapour out (to condense and collect)

            > Do you think gas is a safe and economical way to heat the boiler?

            Safe - yes it can be. Economical - depends on how effectively you can convert the heat content, and the price you're paying for it. Most industrial situations will still use steam.

            >Besides labor is there any other significant costs involved in the production of liquor? IE. Any costly equipment I am overlooking?

            Taxation is usually quite steep.
            The licensing costs. Many health regulations to satisfy.
            The packaging and distribution of the product.
            Quality assurance testing of the product quality.
            Cooling for the ferementer.
            Have you done the complete costing of the production ?
            Waste disposal costs.
            The column will be quite tall & wide (due to use of industrial packing) - will need a support structure.
            Power/gas costs

            Tony
          • CornFed (Randy)
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
              <coynefamilia@y...> wrote:
              ---- snip ----
              I don't know much about the alcohol manufacturing process. I just
              started educated myself on the subject, via the internet, this
              week.

              first let me say this: Approach this topic as a hobby on a small
              scale first, and then after you reach the successful level, ramp up
              to a commercial level.

              your first stop should be http://www.homedistiller.org and then you
              should start gathering books on the subject. The first one I would
              suggest is Ian Smiley's "Making Pure Corn Whiskey" (a professional
              guide for amateur and micro distillers) http://www.home-
              distilling.com He covers basic still construction and also particualr
              and detailed instructions on how to mash grains in order to ferment
              and also specific instructions on how to operate the still during a
              run along with the science of what is happening at the time. This is
              an excellant Primer book for any new hobbiest.

              then there are a pair of books by Mike Nixon and his partners
              called "The Compleat Distiller" and "The Distillation of Alcohol" (A
              Professional Guide for Amateur Distillers) from http://amphora-
              society.com These books take up where Ian Smiley leaves off. You
              will be able to learn the science behind the operations of many
              different styles of stills and also gain an insight as to how to ramp
              up production rates using the correct techniques.

              Then there are numerous books around that discuss
              fermenting "alternative' substrates" One of the most humorous and
              informative is "The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible" by Leon W. Kania. He
              lists 90 pages of recipes of common items that can be fermented and
              then distilled. The main premise is that to lower cost you have to
              search out the local low cost fermentables. Whether it is Milk or
              Corn or Avacado's, something in your area is abundant and contains
              fermentable sugar.

              I want to distill alcohol for profit, outside the US, legally. The
              still plans I have seen on the internet tend to be half-keg size or
              smaller. Small professionally made reflux stills of 100-600 gallons
              are available on some internet sites but appear to cost 10s of
              thousands of dollars.

              Up to a certain scale, you will be able to build your own still
              without spending many thousands of dollars. After a certain
              commercial scale size it would be a smart idea to hire a professional
              to design and build it. Especially if you are intending to be a
              legally licensed distillery for resale. Licensing and insurance
              agencies would treat you more favorably with a licensed professional
              presenting the design also.

              once you reach a certain size boiler also it becomes more economical
              to use steam for the heating requirements.

              That said, does anyone have any suggestions where I could buy
              stainless steel, or copper, equipment that could be used in the
              creation of a 300+ gallon reflux still? or know of an economic
              alternative for sale? (I would prefer the boiler be made of stainless
              steel for safety and cleanliness.) Does anyone have plans for a still
              heads that size? Could you take smaller still plans and just scale
              them up?

              the size of your boiler is less of a determining factor than the heat
              input and the preferred collection rate. The more wash you are trying
              to heat the more heat input you need to raise the temperature in a
              reasonable amount of time. The more heat you input, the larger the
              column has to be to avoid choking, and the larger the condensor has
              to be to manage the heat. Once you are required to go above about 6
              inches of column diameter, the better packing would probably be
              plates versus filled packing. There are alot of things that must work
              together in harmony for the entire process to work right.

              One still company wrote me that I could expect, "Our 100 gallon still
              will produce about 25 to 30 gallons of 140 proof alcohol a run, at an
              estimated run time of 3 to 4 hours, counting heat up time." I asked
              for output figures with either potatoes or corn as the mash
              ingredient. Do these numbers sound realistic?

              "25 to 30 gallons of 70 percent (140 proof) ethanol per 100 gallons"
              sounds like they are assuming a wash of 21 percent ABV to start with
              to use the 30 gallon number to do the math. That is an ideal output
              rate and a low ABV. A properly designed and operated compound still
              should produce in the 90 percent ABV range on a regular basis. Even
              when I run my compound still without packing wide open, with no
              reflux, I still get at least 80 percent.

              Since that email I learned you can use table sugar to make your
              liquor. (assuming tasteless ethenol is your goal) If the company
              based their output on potatoes or corn and I switched to table sugar
              does that mean I could double those output figures? >

              corn and potatoes do not have the starting brix (Sugar)levels to
              compete with table sugar. However table sugar does not have the
              flavor potential that corn and potatoes offer. With a lower brix
              (sugar) level, the ethanol content will be lower also unless you
              fortify the wash with another sugar source.
            • Mike Nixon
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                William Coyne wrote:
                Subject: [new_distillers] Greetings from a Newbie
                (Abridged)
                I want to distill alcohol for profit, outside the US, legally.
                (Thinking of) 300+ gallon reflux still
                Does anyone have plans for a still heads that size?
                The size of the column and head does not depend on the size of the boiler, but the rate at which you want to process.
                However, point taken, you want to process 300+ gallons quickly, so that's a large installation.
                Could you take smaller still plans and just scale them up?
                No
                Besides labor is there any other significant costs involved in the production of liquor?  IE.  Any costly equipment I am overlooking?
                Heaps!
                Licences
                Raw materials
                Branding (big bucks)
                Bottling equipment
                Distribution costs
                Marketing costs ... in a market already glutted, and driven by the established Big Boys
                Insurance (someone will try at some time to sue you for their hangover ... or worse)
                Etc etc etc

                I've left out costs associated with accommodation space for equipment, as you may have those facilities already.

                Good luck!
                Mike N

              • Zoran Vujcic
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                  strat with these:

                  Chose starting material. Try to find some biochemist to use immobilized enzymes and yeasts. But first strat with those two sites.

                  Zoran
                • Darryl Ward
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                    I have found the http://homedistiller.org/ site to be down when I have tried to go there overthe past few days.

                    Has anybody else run into this problem?

                    Darryl
                    Chose starting material. Try to find some biochemist to use immobilized enzymes and yeasts. But first strat with those two sites.

                    Zoran

                  • Crankie
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                      Hey Darryl just gave the site a go and it works fine

                      Cheers

                      Crankie

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                        too many hots and it is BUSY

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                          That's weird.... I just tried again and my browser settings are all fine.

                          I will try again tomorrow.

                          In the mean time, what I was wanting to look up is what is the average percentage of sugar in apples?... as I have just started a batch of calvados (apples brandy.

                          I seem to recall it was somewhere between 10% and 20 - could someone please enlighten me.

                          Many Thanks

                          Darryl

                        • confederaterebel@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                            corn......check yer farms that are goin bust.......dairy farms are great for stainless holding tanks from 300 gal +.....look up local auctions. last farm i worked on had a 500 gal tank. has a pour valve on bottom and a manhole up top with flip lid and seal. would have to modify i'm sure.
                          • CornFed (Randy)
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 4, 2003
                              http://www.distill.com/specs.html this webpage lists specific
                              requirements of ethanol producers in various countries.

                              <coynefamilia@y...> wrote:
                              > Hello, I am new to the group. My name is William Coyne. I am a
                              wannabe moonshiner who is currently masquerade as a computer
                              technician. :) I don't know much about the alcohol manufacturing
                              process. I just started educated myself on the subject, via the
                              internet, this week. My goal in joining your discussion boards is
                              to learn how to manufacture a reflux still and the feasibility of a
                              business idea I have been entertaining. I want to distill alcohol for
                              profit, outside the US, legally. The still plans I have seen on the
                              internet tend to be half-keg size or smaller. Small professionally
                              made reflux stills of 100-600 gallons are available on some internet
                              sites but appear to cost 10s of thousands of dollars. To this
                              prospective moonshiner these stills look like a piece of fine dining
                              room furniture or silverware. I am not furniture shopping, I need a
                              working tool. The true beauty of any tool is measured in its value
                              on the job. That said, does anyone have any suggestions where I could
                              buy stainless steel, or copper, equipment that could be used in the
                              creation of a 300+ gallon reflux still? or know of an economic
                              alternative for sale? (I would prefer the boiler be made of stainless
                              steel for safety and cleanliness.) Does anyone have plans for a still
                              heads that size? Could you take smaller still plans and just scale
                              them up? Also, I have read a little at the different sites about
                              output and such. One still company wrote me that I could
                              expect, "Our 100 gallon still will produce about 25 to 30 gallons of
                              140 proof alcohol a run, at an estimated run time of 3 to 4 hours,
                              counting heat up time." I asked for output figures with either
                              potatoes or corn as the mash ingredient. Do these numbers sound
                              realistic? Since that email I learned you can use table sugar to
                              make your liquor. (assuming tasteless ethenol is your goal) If the
                              company based their output on potatoes or corn and I switched to
                              table sugar does that mean I could double those output figures? Do
                              you think gas is a safe and economical way to heat the boiler?
                              Besides labor is there any other significant costs involved in the
                              production of liquor? IE. Any costly equipment I am overlooking?
                              Thanks,Bill coynefamilia@y...

                            • Brandon Lee
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 4, 2003
                                William-- i recently ran across a man who had constructe a s.s. still operation for fuel purposes-- he has a license to produce 10,000 gals. per year-- he is selling out his sheet metal business and this is part of it-- the unit  if i am not mistaken is about 300 gal. capacity-- it is professionally built and it fired with propane fuel--i am of no need of such but would be happy to inquire as to the asking price of this setup-- he has a large farm and used it to produce fuel for his tractors-among other things--
                                your brother in the spirits
                                Blueflame456