Re: Fw: [new_distillers] Ian Smiley's "Dreaded Esters" and Fermentation Times

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 15, 2003
      I do on summers. It reaches that temperature sometimes. I did not notice much difference from other sugar fermentations. Again I use highly effective still to strip everything and get neutral spirit.

      peter_vcb <viciousblackout@...> wrote:
      does anybody here brew at 30C just to get a fast brew time? i
      understand Ian's point but i still like to brew at low temps and get
      better quality. maybe when i rebuild my still again i will be
      confident enough to put cogener laiden washes in...

      "I certainly agree with Peter re the fermentation temperatures and
      the ester formation concentrations that he mentions. However, when
      fermenting straight sugar-and-water with turbo yeast one is typically
      making grain neutral (i.e. vodka), and such congener production is
      not really relevant if using a high-separation still like a full-
      reflux fractionating still.  Virtually all such congeners are
      stripped out during a double distillation anyway, so the distiller
      need not worry about off flavours and is typically better off with
      the faster turnaround of a hotter fermentation."

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?