Measuring % Sugar in Wash

  • Matthew DeLacey
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10 6:17 AM
      I know this is very simple, but how is this done? I
      see references all the time to add water to 16% sugar
      or so, but can't figure how to measure that. I
      suppose there is some way with a hygrometer?

      Many Thanks.

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • harley_daschund
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10 11:51 AM
        If you are using a 'Turbo',the directions on the pkg will get you
        close enough...if you need to measure the SG of the wash use a
        Hydrometer...most of these ,sold for 'our' purposes,also include
        a 'Potential Alcohol' scale and a 'BRIX' scale..appx $6-$7 in the
        US.....:>)

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matthew DeLacey
        <leanmattie@y...> wrote:
        > I know this is very simple, but how is this done? I
        > see references all the time to add water to 16% sugar
        > or so, but can't figure how to measure that. I
        > suppose there is some way with a hygrometer?
        >

        > Many Thanks.

      • harley_daschund
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10 11:53 AM
          Sorry...the Turbo I use recommends a starting SG of appx 1.09...not
          sure what % sugar this translates to...:>)

          <leanmattie@y...> wrote:
          > I know this is very simple, but how is this done? I
          > see references all the time to add water to 16% sugar
          > or so, but can't figure how to measure that. I
          > suppose there is some way with a hygrometer?
          >

          > Many Thanks.

          > http://tax.yahoo.com
        • Wil
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2003
            go to www.homedistiller.org there is an excellent section on
            preparing sugar washes ther with convinient calculators to boot.
            Good luck!!