Re: Carbon filtering pure distillate

  • moutwijn
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003
      Hi Peter,
      I think that you are a very lucky by not setting your house on fire.
      Because the way you dry the carbon in your microwave coud cause a
      nice fire.
      Through the years I used hundreds kg's of carbon to purify a lot of
      different solvents.
      When I have to activate carbon (I use 10 kg/ batch) I put it into a
      electric oven, set the oven to 180 °C and leave there for 8 hours.
      Then I take it out of the oven and let it cool down in a surrounding
      where there are no organic vapours are present (I use a stainless
      steel box which is filled with nitrogen), after cooling it down to
      20°C I use it.
      Next time you want to dry carbon just scoop the wet carbon into a
      pyrex and put it into a ELECTRIC oven and set it to 180 °C.
      Leave the bowl in the oven for a few hours. Take the bowl out the
      oven, cover the bowl with aluminum foil and let it cool.
      Than use it.

      greetings
      Moutwijn

      Ne--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
      <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Ken
      > heres a copy of some posts i made a while back. i have since found
      > some of my carbon types will spark in the microwave. i put the
      > sparking carbon in the oven on full for an hour. i think it is
      worth
      > the effort since you should wash new carbon anyway. does anybody
      heat
      > their alcohol like Zoran suggests?
      >
      > hi Spoliatio.
      > before i go through it i will say microwaving charcoal can be VERY
      > DANGEROUS! i got the idea of microwaveing it after reading that
      > carbon can reach extremely high temperatures in a microwave. you
      can
      > get carbon crucibles for melting steel and silver. so it reaches
      well
      > above 1000C. i thought this would be ideal to burn off and
      residual
      > nasties stuck in the carbon and also to sterilise it.
      > i get my carbon in a plastic filer from work. i cut the filter
      open
      > with and dump the dirty carbon into a 40litre container and fill
      it
      > with hot water in my shower. i let it settle and decant the dirty
      > water. i repeat this until the water is clear, usually 4 times. i
      > then boil it up in a pressure cooker to really clean it and
      sterilise
      > it. i then drain it off rinse again and put it in a pyrex lasagne
      > type container. i microwave it on full for 5 mins at a time
      stirring
      > it after each 5 mins. after about 20 mins it is dry but keep a
      close
      > eye on it. i then microwave it for 40 seconds at a time stirring
      each
      > time. it looks dry but after a while it starts to gives off dry
      > vapours again. it gets extremely hot so a pyrex dish is essential.
      it