Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Carbon filtering pure distillate

Expand Messages
  • peter_vcb
    Hi Ken heres a copy of some posts i made a while back. i have since found some of my carbon types will spark in the microwave. i put the sparking carbon in the
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Ken
      heres a copy of some posts i made a while back. i have since found
      some of my carbon types will spark in the microwave. i put the
      sparking carbon in the oven on full for an hour. i think it is worth
      the effort since you should wash new carbon anyway. does anybody heat
      their alcohol like Zoran suggests?

      hi Spoliatio.
      before i go through it i will say microwaving charcoal can be VERY
      DANGEROUS! i got the idea of microwaveing it after reading that
      carbon can reach extremely high temperatures in a microwave. you can
      get carbon crucibles for melting steel and silver. so it reaches well
      above 1000C. i thought this would be ideal to burn off and residual
      nasties stuck in the carbon and also to sterilise it.
      i get my carbon in a plastic filer from work. i cut the filter open
      with and dump the dirty carbon into a 40litre container and fill it
      with hot water in my shower. i let it settle and decant the dirty
      water. i repeat this until the water is clear, usually 4 times. i
      then boil it up in a pressure cooker to really clean it and sterilise
      it. i then drain it off rinse again and put it in a pyrex lasagne
      type container. i microwave it on full for 5 mins at a time stirring
      it after each 5 mins. after about 20 mins it is dry but keep a close
      eye on it. i then microwave it for 40 seconds at a time stirring each
      time. it looks dry but after a while it starts to gives off dry
      vapours again. it gets extremely hot so a pyrex dish is essential. it
      is important to stir to prevent hot spots. once i didnt stir for a
      while and when i did stir it was glowing red in the middle! after
      about 10 blasts at 40seconds the vapors stop coming off and i then
      stop and let it cool overnight. the vapours have a choking smell and
      are a bit like smoke since they are "dry" but they dont stink the
      room or anything.

      good luck and be careful!

      Peter

      i didnt weigh it but it looks 500g judging from the 1 kilo bags i
      used to get. the microwave is 800W, but microwaves do vary in
      efficiency mine seems to heat small cups of water faster than my last
      800W maybe it has hot spots or something. i would go very slowly your
      first time maybe 2 mins at a time until appears totally dry. when it
      is dry it just falls off the spoon like sand. if you cant leave it in
      the microwave to cool down (incase "she" finds it) be very careful
      where you leave it. i took it out once and put it on some newspaper
      and the paper started to smoke! it works very well when recharged,
      but i always put lots in each gallon jar anyway.

      good luck

      Peter



      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...>
      wrote:
      >
      > it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.
      >
      > Peter
      >
      >
      > Gday Peter,
      > How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
      > Ken.
    • moutwijn
      Hi Peter, I think that you are a very lucky by not setting your house on fire. Because the way you dry the carbon in your microwave coud cause a nice fire.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Peter,
        I think that you are a very lucky by not setting your house on fire.
        Because the way you dry the carbon in your microwave coud cause a
        nice fire.
        Through the years I used hundreds kg's of carbon to purify a lot of
        different solvents.
        When I have to activate carbon (I use 10 kg/ batch) I put it into a
        electric oven, set the oven to 180 °C and leave there for 8 hours.
        Then I take it out of the oven and let it cool down in a surrounding
        where there are no organic vapours are present (I use a stainless
        steel box which is filled with nitrogen), after cooling it down to
        20°C I use it.
        Next time you want to dry carbon just scoop the wet carbon into a
        pyrex and put it into a ELECTRIC oven and set it to 180 °C.
        Leave the bowl in the oven for a few hours. Take the bowl out the
        oven, cover the bowl with aluminum foil and let it cool.
        Than use it.

        greetings
        Moutwijn

        Ne--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
        <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Ken
        > heres a copy of some posts i made a while back. i have since found
        > some of my carbon types will spark in the microwave. i put the
        > sparking carbon in the oven on full for an hour. i think it is
        worth
        > the effort since you should wash new carbon anyway. does anybody
        heat
        > their alcohol like Zoran suggests?
        >
        > hi Spoliatio.
        > before i go through it i will say microwaving charcoal can be VERY
        > DANGEROUS! i got the idea of microwaveing it after reading that
        > carbon can reach extremely high temperatures in a microwave. you
        can
        > get carbon crucibles for melting steel and silver. so it reaches
        well
        > above 1000C. i thought this would be ideal to burn off and
        residual
        > nasties stuck in the carbon and also to sterilise it.
        > i get my carbon in a plastic filer from work. i cut the filter
        open
        > with and dump the dirty carbon into a 40litre container and fill
        it
        > with hot water in my shower. i let it settle and decant the dirty
        > water. i repeat this until the water is clear, usually 4 times. i
        > then boil it up in a pressure cooker to really clean it and
        sterilise
        > it. i then drain it off rinse again and put it in a pyrex lasagne
        > type container. i microwave it on full for 5 mins at a time
        stirring
        > it after each 5 mins. after about 20 mins it is dry but keep a
        close
        > eye on it. i then microwave it for 40 seconds at a time stirring
        each
        > time. it looks dry but after a while it starts to gives off dry
        > vapours again. it gets extremely hot so a pyrex dish is essential.
        it
        > is important to stir to prevent hot spots. once i didnt stir for a
        > while and when i did stir it was glowing red in the middle! after
        > about 10 blasts at 40seconds the vapors stop coming off and i then
        > stop and let it cool overnight. the vapours have a choking smell
        and
        > are a bit like smoke since they are "dry" but they dont stink the
        > room or anything.
        >
        > good luck and be careful!
        >
        > Peter
        >
        > i didnt weigh it but it looks 500g judging from the 1 kilo bags i
        > used to get. the microwave is 800W, but microwaves do vary in
        > efficiency mine seems to heat small cups of water faster than my
        last
        > 800W maybe it has hot spots or something. i would go very slowly
        your
        > first time maybe 2 mins at a time until appears totally dry. when
        it
        > is dry it just falls off the spoon like sand. if you cant leave it
        in
        > the microwave to cool down (incase "she" finds it) be very careful
        > where you leave it. i took it out once and put it on some
        newspaper
        > and the paper started to smoke! it works very well when recharged,
        > but i always put lots in each gallon jar anyway.
        >
        > good luck
        >
        > Peter
        >
        >
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.
        > >
        > > Peter
        > >
        > >
        > > Gday Peter,
        > > How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
        > > Ken.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.