Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [new_distillers] Re: Carbon filtering pure distillate

Expand Messages
  • Ken Grady
    it is cheap and can be reactivated after use. Peter Gday Peter, How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort. Ken.
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
       
      it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.

      Peter


      Gday Peter,
      How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
      Ken.
    • peter_vcb
      Hi Ken heres a copy of some posts i made a while back. i have since found some of my carbon types will spark in the microwave. i put the sparking carbon in the
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Ken
        heres a copy of some posts i made a while back. i have since found
        some of my carbon types will spark in the microwave. i put the
        sparking carbon in the oven on full for an hour. i think it is worth
        the effort since you should wash new carbon anyway. does anybody heat
        their alcohol like Zoran suggests?

        hi Spoliatio.
        before i go through it i will say microwaving charcoal can be VERY
        DANGEROUS! i got the idea of microwaveing it after reading that
        carbon can reach extremely high temperatures in a microwave. you can
        get carbon crucibles for melting steel and silver. so it reaches well
        above 1000C. i thought this would be ideal to burn off and residual
        nasties stuck in the carbon and also to sterilise it.
        i get my carbon in a plastic filer from work. i cut the filter open
        with and dump the dirty carbon into a 40litre container and fill it
        with hot water in my shower. i let it settle and decant the dirty
        water. i repeat this until the water is clear, usually 4 times. i
        then boil it up in a pressure cooker to really clean it and sterilise
        it. i then drain it off rinse again and put it in a pyrex lasagne
        type container. i microwave it on full for 5 mins at a time stirring
        it after each 5 mins. after about 20 mins it is dry but keep a close
        eye on it. i then microwave it for 40 seconds at a time stirring each
        time. it looks dry but after a while it starts to gives off dry
        vapours again. it gets extremely hot so a pyrex dish is essential. it
        is important to stir to prevent hot spots. once i didnt stir for a
        while and when i did stir it was glowing red in the middle! after
        about 10 blasts at 40seconds the vapors stop coming off and i then
        stop and let it cool overnight. the vapours have a choking smell and
        are a bit like smoke since they are "dry" but they dont stink the
        room or anything.

        good luck and be careful!

        Peter

        i didnt weigh it but it looks 500g judging from the 1 kilo bags i
        used to get. the microwave is 800W, but microwaves do vary in
        efficiency mine seems to heat small cups of water faster than my last
        800W maybe it has hot spots or something. i would go very slowly your
        first time maybe 2 mins at a time until appears totally dry. when it
        is dry it just falls off the spoon like sand. if you cant leave it in
        the microwave to cool down (incase "she" finds it) be very careful
        where you leave it. i took it out once and put it on some newspaper
        and the paper started to smoke! it works very well when recharged,
        but i always put lots in each gallon jar anyway.

        good luck

        Peter



        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...>
        wrote:
        >
        > it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.
        >
        > Peter
        >
        >
        > Gday Peter,
        > How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
        > Ken.
      • moutwijn
        Hi Peter, I think that you are a very lucky by not setting your house on fire. Because the way you dry the carbon in your microwave coud cause a nice fire.
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Peter,
          I think that you are a very lucky by not setting your house on fire.
          Because the way you dry the carbon in your microwave coud cause a
          nice fire.
          Through the years I used hundreds kg's of carbon to purify a lot of
          different solvents.
          When I have to activate carbon (I use 10 kg/ batch) I put it into a
          electric oven, set the oven to 180 °C and leave there for 8 hours.
          Then I take it out of the oven and let it cool down in a surrounding
          where there are no organic vapours are present (I use a stainless
          steel box which is filled with nitrogen), after cooling it down to
          20°C I use it.
          Next time you want to dry carbon just scoop the wet carbon into a
          pyrex and put it into a ELECTRIC oven and set it to 180 °C.
          Leave the bowl in the oven for a few hours. Take the bowl out the
          oven, cover the bowl with aluminum foil and let it cool.
          Than use it.

          greetings
          Moutwijn

          Ne--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
          <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Ken
          > heres a copy of some posts i made a while back. i have since found
          > some of my carbon types will spark in the microwave. i put the
          > sparking carbon in the oven on full for an hour. i think it is
          worth
          > the effort since you should wash new carbon anyway. does anybody
          heat
          > their alcohol like Zoran suggests?
          >
          > hi Spoliatio.
          > before i go through it i will say microwaving charcoal can be VERY
          > DANGEROUS! i got the idea of microwaveing it after reading that
          > carbon can reach extremely high temperatures in a microwave. you
          can
          > get carbon crucibles for melting steel and silver. so it reaches
          well
          > above 1000C. i thought this would be ideal to burn off and
          residual
          > nasties stuck in the carbon and also to sterilise it.
          > i get my carbon in a plastic filer from work. i cut the filter
          open
          > with and dump the dirty carbon into a 40litre container and fill
          it
          > with hot water in my shower. i let it settle and decant the dirty
          > water. i repeat this until the water is clear, usually 4 times. i
          > then boil it up in a pressure cooker to really clean it and
          sterilise
          > it. i then drain it off rinse again and put it in a pyrex lasagne
          > type container. i microwave it on full for 5 mins at a time
          stirring
          > it after each 5 mins. after about 20 mins it is dry but keep a
          close
          > eye on it. i then microwave it for 40 seconds at a time stirring
          each
          > time. it looks dry but after a while it starts to gives off dry
          > vapours again. it gets extremely hot so a pyrex dish is essential.
          it
          > is important to stir to prevent hot spots. once i didnt stir for a
          > while and when i did stir it was glowing red in the middle! after
          > about 10 blasts at 40seconds the vapors stop coming off and i then
          > stop and let it cool overnight. the vapours have a choking smell
          and
          > are a bit like smoke since they are "dry" but they dont stink the
          > room or anything.
          >
          > good luck and be careful!
          >
          > Peter
          >
          > i didnt weigh it but it looks 500g judging from the 1 kilo bags i
          > used to get. the microwave is 800W, but microwaves do vary in
          > efficiency mine seems to heat small cups of water faster than my
          last
          > 800W maybe it has hot spots or something. i would go very slowly
          your
          > first time maybe 2 mins at a time until appears totally dry. when
          it
          > is dry it just falls off the spoon like sand. if you cant leave it
          in
          > the microwave to cool down (incase "she" finds it) be very careful
          > where you leave it. i took it out once and put it on some
          newspaper
          > and the paper started to smoke! it works very well when recharged,
          > but i always put lots in each gallon jar anyway.
          >
          > good luck
          >
          > Peter
          >
          >
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.
          > >
          > > Peter
          > >
          > >
          > > Gday Peter,
          > > How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
          > > Ken.
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.