Re: [new_distillers] Carbon filtering pure distillate

  • Zoran Vujcic
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
      In all chemical procedures where is used activated carbons 2-3 g/ 100 mL liquid will be enough. But in chemical sense you must do with hot 95% alcohol. It removes faty alcohol.

      Zoran
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003

        it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.

        Peter

        Gday Peter,
        How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
        Ken.
      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003
          Hi Ken
          heres a copy of some posts i made a while back. i have since found
          some of my carbon types will spark in the microwave. i put the
          sparking carbon in the oven on full for an hour. i think it is worth
          the effort since you should wash new carbon anyway. does anybody heat
          their alcohol like Zoran suggests?

          hi Spoliatio.
          before i go through it i will say microwaving charcoal can be VERY
          DANGEROUS! i got the idea of microwaveing it after reading that
          carbon can reach extremely high temperatures in a microwave. you can
          get carbon crucibles for melting steel and silver. so it reaches well
          above 1000C. i thought this would be ideal to burn off and residual
          nasties stuck in the carbon and also to sterilise it.
          i get my carbon in a plastic filer from work. i cut the filter open
          with and dump the dirty carbon into a 40litre container and fill it
          with hot water in my shower. i let it settle and decant the dirty
          water. i repeat this until the water is clear, usually 4 times. i
          then boil it up in a pressure cooker to really clean it and sterilise
          it. i then drain it off rinse again and put it in a pyrex lasagne
          type container. i microwave it on full for 5 mins at a time stirring
          it after each 5 mins. after about 20 mins it is dry but keep a close
          eye on it. i then microwave it for 40 seconds at a time stirring each
          time. it looks dry but after a while it starts to gives off dry
          vapours again. it gets extremely hot so a pyrex dish is essential. it
          is important to stir to prevent hot spots. once i didnt stir for a
          while and when i did stir it was glowing red in the middle! after
          about 10 blasts at 40seconds the vapors stop coming off and i then
          stop and let it cool overnight. the vapours have a choking smell and
          are a bit like smoke since they are "dry" but they dont stink the
          room or anything.

          good luck and be careful!

          Peter

          i didnt weigh it but it looks 500g judging from the 1 kilo bags i
          used to get. the microwave is 800W, but microwaves do vary in
          efficiency mine seems to heat small cups of water faster than my last
          800W maybe it has hot spots or something. i would go very slowly your
          first time maybe 2 mins at a time until appears totally dry. when it
          is dry it just falls off the spoon like sand. if you cant leave it in
          the microwave to cool down (incase "she" finds it) be very careful
          where you leave it. i took it out once and put it on some newspaper
          and the paper started to smoke! it works very well when recharged,
          but i always put lots in each gallon jar anyway.

          good luck

          Peter

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...>
          wrote:

          > it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.
          >
          > Peter
          >

          > Gday Peter,
          > How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
          > Ken.
        • moutwijn
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003
            Hi Peter,
            I think that you are a very lucky by not setting your house on fire.
            Because the way you dry the carbon in your microwave coud cause a
            nice fire.
            Through the years I used hundreds kg's of carbon to purify a lot of
            different solvents.
            When I have to activate carbon (I use 10 kg/ batch) I put it into a
            electric oven, set the oven to 180 °C and leave there for 8 hours.
            Then I take it out of the oven and let it cool down in a surrounding
            where there are no organic vapours are present (I use a stainless
            steel box which is filled with nitrogen), after cooling it down to
            20°C I use it.
            Next time you want to dry carbon just scoop the wet carbon into a
            pyrex and put it into a ELECTRIC oven and set it to 180 °C.
            Leave the bowl in the oven for a few hours. Take the bowl out the
            oven, cover the bowl with aluminum foil and let it cool.
            Than use it.

            greetings
            Moutwijn

            Ne--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"