Re: Oak and more oak

  • rukus_t
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2003

      > But I have a question or 2:
      > 1.. When oaking, will English oak do?
      I would not suggest English oak or French oak. Out of the 2
      English will impart the most flavor in the shortest time span. If
      using chips you can get an over powering oak flavor in a very short
      time. French oak is more suttle and has a more rounded flavor, for a
      short amount of time on the chips you can get a nice flavor. If you
      keep the chips on to long you will get way to much flavor though.
      What works best in my opinion is white oak. Although it is harder to
      come by (at least for me) Most wine supply stores carry both the
      french and english chips, so they are easy to find.
      http://www.lehmans.com/ carries the white oak *liquid tight*
      barrels. Just make sure you get a liquid type on as they sell a
      furniture grade barrel that wont hold liquid. Just my 2 cents

      2.. When aging your product, it was written that oaking, then using
      carbon worked well and quickly.

      I carbon mine first for 1 week then oak it. Don't want to impart an
      impurities into the wood. Have had great success so far.

      Could we substitute oak with fruit wood (plum) shavings (virgin or
      charred?),

      I don't see why you could not use a fruit wood. It all depends on
      the flavor you want. Charred vs virgin, the charred barrels as I
      understand it just act a bit more like the carbon we use. After a
      period of time I can't see it being to benificial though as it would
      be full of impurities.