Re: Carbon filtering pure distillate

  • moutwijn
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 1:16 AM
      Although I have never used carbon for cleaning up my distillate I
      have used granulated carbon for cleaning solvents like n-hexane and
      acetone from a technical grade to a high purity garde in the chemical
      plant I work.
      We first used a powder but it was very difficult to get a flow throug
      a column filled with carbon powder.
      When we switched to a granulated carbon (Norit ROX 0.8) we got a very
      nice flow en good results.
      So if you want to use carbon it is more easy to use a granulate than
      a powder (either directly added to the bottle or used in a column).
      Before you a a granulate to the bottle it is wise to wash the carbon
      like is described in the Files file about carbon.

      greetings
      Moutwijn

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pipefitterbill2003"
      <pipefitterbill2003@y...> wrote:
      > I asked this question several weeks ago, but I don't think I got a
      > solid answer. I have read about filtering 94%-96% pure distillate
      in
      > carbon by means of just soaking a certain amount of carbon in a
      given
      > amount of distillate for several weeks, then filtering it through a
      > funnel with a coffee filter.
      > I am hoping some one can tell me exactly how much carbon and what
      > type and grade would be used, and how much distillate to mix it
      with,
      > and for how long. I seem to remember replies from people who say
      that
      > you cannot effectively filter pure distillate with carbon, yet some
      > say they have done this many times with excellent results.
      > I am hoping to hear from those who have, and still do, use this
      > method sucsessfully. Thanks again for your info, Big Bill
    • Zoran Vujcic
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3 10:58 PM
        In all chemical procedures where is used activated carbons 2-3 g/ 100 mL liquid will be enough. But in chemical sense you must do with hot 95% alcohol. It removes faty alcohol.

        Zoran

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 12:18 AM

          it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.

          Peter

          Gday Peter,
          How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
          Ken.
        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4 1:56 AM
            Hi Ken
            heres a copy of some posts i made a while back. i have since found
            some of my carbon types will spark in the microwave. i put the
            sparking carbon in the oven on full for an hour. i think it is worth
            the effort since you should wash new carbon anyway. does anybody heat
            their alcohol like Zoran suggests?

            hi Spoliatio.
            before i go through it i will say microwaving charcoal can be VERY
            DANGEROUS! i got the idea of microwaveing it after reading that
            carbon can reach extremely high temperatures in a microwave. you can
            get carbon crucibles for melting steel and silver. so it reaches well
            above 1000C. i thought this would be ideal to burn off and residual
            nasties stuck in the carbon and also to sterilise it.
            i get my carbon in a plastic filer from work. i cut the filter open
            with and dump the dirty carbon into a 40litre container and fill it
            with hot water in my shower. i let it settle and decant the dirty
            water. i repeat this until the water is clear, usually 4 times. i
            then boil it up in a pressure cooker to really clean it and sterilise
            it. i then drain it off rinse again and put it in a pyrex lasagne
            type container. i microwave it on full for 5 mins at a time stirring
            it after each 5 mins. after about 20 mins it is dry but keep a close
            eye on it. i then microwave it for 40 seconds at a time stirring each
            time. it looks dry but after a while it starts to gives off dry
            vapours again. it gets extremely hot so a pyrex dish is essential. it
            is important to stir to prevent hot spots. once i didnt stir for a
            while and when i did stir it was glowing red in the middle! after
            about 10 blasts at 40seconds the vapors stop coming off and i then
            stop and let it cool overnight. the vapours have a choking smell and
            are a bit like smoke since they are "dry" but they dont stink the
            room or anything.

            good luck and be careful!

            Peter

            i didnt weigh it but it looks 500g judging from the 1 kilo bags i
            used to get. the microwave is 800W, but microwaves do vary in
            efficiency mine seems to heat small cups of water faster than my last
            800W maybe it has hot spots or something. i would go very slowly your
            first time maybe 2 mins at a time until appears totally dry. when it
            is dry it just falls off the spoon like sand. if you cant leave it in
            the microwave to cool down (incase "she" finds it) be very careful
            where you leave it. i took it out once and put it on some newspaper
            and the paper started to smoke! it works very well when recharged,
            but i always put lots in each gallon jar anyway.

            good luck

            Peter

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...>
            wrote:

            > it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.
            >
            > Peter
            >

            > Gday Peter,
            > How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
            > Ken.
          • moutwijn
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4 12:38 PM
              Hi Peter,
              I think that you are a very lucky by not setting your house on fire.
              Because the way you dry the carbon in your microwave coud cause a
              nice fire.
              Through the years I used hundreds kg's of carbon to purify a lot of
              different solvents.
              When I have to activate carbon (I use 10 kg/ batch) I put it into a
              electric oven, set the oven to 180 °C and leave there for 8 hours.
              Then I take it out of the oven and let it cool down in a surrounding
              where there are no organic vapours are present (I use a stainless
              steel box which is filled with nitrogen), after cooling it down to
              20°C I use it.
              Next time you want to dry carbon just scoop the wet carbon into a
              pyrex and put it into a ELECTRIC oven and set it to 180 °C.
              Leave the bowl in the oven for a few hours. Take the bowl out the
              oven, cover the bowl with aluminum foil and let it cool.
              Than use it.

              greetings
              Moutwijn

              Ne--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"