Re: Carbon filtering pure distillate

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
      carbon works better when the distillate is diluted down to 40%-50%.
      the nasties are water soluble so will be trapped in the carbon better
      if the distillate has more water in it (simple explanation). if it is
      a litre of pure alcohol only 5% will be water in which the nasties
      will be dissolved in. i noticed very little effect when carbon
      treating 95% alcohol, and huge effects when at 40%. i put in about
      400ml of carbon per gallon. i think Tony only puts in 1/2 a cup per
      gallon. i would recommend getting the carbon from a homebrew
      supplier. i get mine from www.partyman.se. i use lots of carbon since
      it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.

      Peter

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pipefitterbill2003"
      <pipefitterbill2003@y...> wrote:
      > I asked this question several weeks ago, but I don't think I got a
      > solid answer. I have read about filtering 94%-96% pure distillate
      in
      > carbon by means of just soaking a certain amount of carbon in a
      given
      > amount of distillate for several weeks, then filtering it through a
      > funnel with a coffee filter.
      > I am hoping some one can tell me exactly how much carbon and what
      > type and grade would be used, and how much distillate to mix it
      with,
      > and for how long. I seem to remember replies from people who say
      that
      > you cannot effectively filter pure distillate with carbon, yet some
      > say they have done this many times with excellent results.
      > I am hoping to hear from those who have, and still do, use this
      > method sucsessfully. Thanks again for your info, Big Bill
    • moutwijn
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
        Although I have never used carbon for cleaning up my distillate I
        have used granulated carbon for cleaning solvents like n-hexane and
        acetone from a technical grade to a high purity garde in the chemical
        plant I work.
        We first used a powder but it was very difficult to get a flow throug
        a column filled with carbon powder.
        When we switched to a granulated carbon (Norit ROX 0.8) we got a very
        nice flow en good results.
        So if you want to use carbon it is more easy to use a granulate than
        a powder (either directly added to the bottle or used in a column).
        Before you a a granulate to the bottle it is wise to wash the carbon
        like is described in the Files file about carbon.

        greetings
        Moutwijn

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pipefitterbill2003"
        <pipefitterbill2003@y...> wrote:
        > I asked this question several weeks ago, but I don't think I got a
        > solid answer. I have read about filtering 94%-96% pure distillate
        in
        > carbon by means of just soaking a certain amount of carbon in a
        given
        > amount of distillate for several weeks, then filtering it through a
        > funnel with a coffee filter.
        > I am hoping some one can tell me exactly how much carbon and what
        > type and grade would be used, and how much distillate to mix it
        with,
        > and for how long. I seem to remember replies from people who say
        that
        > you cannot effectively filter pure distillate with carbon, yet some
        > say they have done this many times with excellent results.
        > I am hoping to hear from those who have, and still do, use this
        > method sucsessfully. Thanks again for your info, Big Bill
      • Zoran Vujcic
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
          In all chemical procedures where is used activated carbons 2-3 g/ 100 mL liquid will be enough. But in chemical sense you must do with hot 95% alcohol. It removes faty alcohol.

          Zoran

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003

            it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.

            Peter

            Gday Peter,
            How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
            Ken.
          • peter_vcb
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003
              Hi Ken
              heres a copy of some posts i made a while back. i have since found
              some of my carbon types will spark in the microwave. i put the
              sparking carbon in the oven on full for an hour. i think it is worth
              the effort since you should wash new carbon anyway. does anybody heat
              their alcohol like Zoran suggests?

              hi Spoliatio.
              before i go through it i will say microwaving charcoal can be VERY
              DANGEROUS! i got the idea of microwaveing it after reading that
              carbon can reach extremely high temperatures in a microwave. you can
              get carbon crucibles for melting steel and silver. so it reaches well
              above 1000C. i thought this would be ideal to burn off and residual
              nasties stuck in the carbon and also to sterilise it.
              i get my carbon in a plastic filer from work. i cut the filter open
              with and dump the dirty carbon into a 40litre container and fill it
              with hot water in my shower. i let it settle and decant the dirty
              water. i repeat this until the water is clear, usually 4 times. i
              then boil it up in a pressure cooker to really clean it and sterilise
              it. i then drain it off rinse again and put it in a pyrex lasagne
              type container. i microwave it on full for 5 mins at a time stirring
              it after each 5 mins. after about 20 mins it is dry but keep a close
              eye on it. i then microwave it for 40 seconds at a time stirring each
              time. it looks dry but after a while it starts to gives off dry
              vapours again. it gets extremely hot so a pyrex dish is essential. it
              is important to stir to prevent hot spots. once i didnt stir for a
              while and when i did stir it was glowing red in the middle! after
              about 10 blasts at 40seconds the vapors stop coming off and i then
              stop and let it cool overnight. the vapours have a choking smell and
              are a bit like smoke since they are "dry" but they dont stink the
              room or anything.

              good luck and be careful!

              Peter

              i didnt weigh it but it looks 500g judging from the 1 kilo bags i
              used to get. the microwave is 800W, but microwaves do vary in
              efficiency mine seems to heat small cups of water faster than my last
              800W maybe it has hot spots or something. i would go very slowly your
              first time maybe 2 mins at a time until appears totally dry. when it
              is dry it just falls off the spoon like sand. if you cant leave it in
              the microwave to cool down (incase "she" finds it) be very careful
              where you leave it. i took it out once and put it on some newspaper
              and the paper started to smoke! it works very well when recharged,
              but i always put lots in each gallon jar anyway.

              good luck

              Peter

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...>
              wrote:

              > it is cheap and can be reactivated after use.
              >
              > Peter
              >

              > Gday Peter,
              > How do you reactivate the carbon & is it worth the effort.
              > Ken.
            • moutwijn
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2003
                Hi Peter,
                I think that you are a very lucky by not setting your house on fire.
                Because the way you dry the carbon in your microwave coud cause a
                nice fire.
                Through the years I used hundreds kg's of carbon to purify a lot of
                different solvents.
                When I have to activate carbon (I use 10 kg/ batch) I put it into a
                electric oven, set the oven to 180 °C and leave there for 8 hours.
                Then I take it out of the oven and let it cool down in a surrounding
                where there are no organic vapours are present (I use a stainless
                steel box which is filled with nitrogen), after cooling it down to
                20°C I use it.
                Next time you want to dry carbon just scoop the wet carbon into a
                pyrex and put it into a ELECTRIC oven and set it to 180 °C.
                Leave the bowl in the oven for a few hours. Take the bowl out the
                oven, cover the bowl with aluminum foil and let it cool.
                Than use it.

                greetings
                Moutwijn

                Ne--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"