Oak and more oak

  • Tony George
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hello all,

      I too am "delurking". Built my thingummy from info on the web:
      • Electric copper, 50mm by 1.2m column (s/s scrubbers), N/S head, shotgun condenser, recirculating cooling system with pump and reservoir. Separate 200mm column for pot runs (later).
      • Found a brilliant thermometer from Jaycar- has a presettable hi/lo alarm, reads about 1degree low at 100C, works really well.
      I got about 4l of 70 to 80% abv after a 3 hour run, and things are looking up. Even without carbon, it worked well.
      I am currently upgrading a standard Arlec light dimmer with a bigger triac to handle 2.4kW, to enable better heat control of the 1.3kW Low element.

      But I have a question or 2:
      1. When oaking, will English oak do?
      2. When aging your product, it was written that oaking, then using carbon worked well and quickly. Could we substitute oak with fruit wood (plum) shavings (virgin or charred?), or even tea? Seems like a cheap, effective option.
      Finally, have you heard of lapsang souchong tea? It has a wonderful smoky flavour, peaty almost. If I wanted to touch up a scotch, how could it be used? (I tried a second-hand teabag in a bit of crappy retail scotch and it worked a treat, although it became a little murky. Worth a try though.)

      Yours in Spirit,
    • Greg Denehy
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003

        How does your recirculating cooling system work?  What cools the coolant?

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2003

          > But I have a question or 2:
          > 1.. When oaking, will English oak do?
          I would not suggest English oak or French oak. Out of the 2
          English will impart the most flavor in the shortest time span. If
          using chips you can get an over powering oak flavor in a very short
          time. French oak is more suttle and has a more rounded flavor, for a
          short amount of time on the chips you can get a nice flavor. If you
          keep the chips on to long you will get way to much flavor though.
          What works best in my opinion is white oak. Although it is harder to
          come by (at least for me) Most wine supply stores carry both the
          french and english chips, so they are easy to find.
          http://www.lehmans.com/ carries the white oak *liquid tight*
          barrels. Just make sure you get a liquid type on as they sell a
          furniture grade barrel that wont hold liquid. Just my 2 cents

          2.. When aging your product, it was written that oaking, then using
          carbon worked well and quickly.

          I carbon mine first for 1 week then oak it. Don't want to impart an
          impurities into the wood. Have had great success so far.

          Could we substitute oak with fruit wood (plum) shavings (virgin or
          charred?),

          I don't see why you could not use a fruit wood. It all depends on
          the flavor you want. Charred vs virgin, the charred barrels as I
          understand it just act a bit more like the carbon we use. After a
          period of time I can't see it being to benificial though as it would
          be full of impurities.