Re: [new_distillers] Mash confusion and bucket still

  • Harley Daschund
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
      Since I dont own the publication you mentioned,I have to assume it
      contradicts my statement...if it works for you,go for it...I have had very
      little success using anything other than a 'Turbo' yeast with sugar
      washs.....:>)

      >From: "Bob Bourne" <bourne@...>
      >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Mash confusion and bucket still
      >Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:32:14 +1000
      >
      >Harley wrote:
      > > Bob...you are wasting your time trying to ferment sugar and water with
      > > 'plain' yeast...what type yeast did you use?
      >
      >Harley see: The Distillation of Alcohol, John Stone and Michael Nixon, page
      >36-7.
      >
      >In part -
      >"Those of you who are familiar with the making of beer and wine [you] will
      >find the fermentation of supermarket sugar with baker's yeast in laundry
      >tub a rather simple and crude procedure. Don't be disconcerted by this. All
      >we are doing at this stage is producing the alcohol we need."
      >
      >I used Lowan Instant Dried Yeast. It was very active. My problem was trying
      >to work out what the hydrometer readings meant - a reading of 80-90 It's a
      >Brewiser beer kit hydrometer.
      >
      >Bob Bourne.

    • Bob Bourne
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
        OK. Thanks for the updated information Mike.

        It was just an experiment anyway, I'll tip it out.

        Bob.
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
          Evidently you are correct Harley, see Mike's email. I'll tip it out!

          Bob.
          > Since I dont own the publication you mentioned,I have to assume it
          > contradicts my statement...if it works for you,go for it...I have had very
          > little success using anything other than a 'Turbo' yeast with sugar
          > washs.....:>)
          >

          > >From: "Bob Bourne" <bourne@...>
          > >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Mash confusion and bucket still
          > >Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:32:14 +1000
          > >
          > >Harley wrote:
          > > > Bob...you are wasting your time trying to ferment sugar and water with
          > > > 'plain' yeast...what type yeast did you use?
          > >
          > >Harley see: The Distillation of Alcohol, John Stone and Michael Nixon,
          page
          > >36-7.
          > >
          > >In part -
          > >"Those of you who are familiar with the making of beer and wine [you]
          will
          > >find the fermentation of supermarket sugar with baker's yeast in laundry
          > >tub a rather simple and crude procedure. Don't be disconcerted by this.
          All
          > >we are doing at this stage is producing the alcohol we need."
          > >
          > >I used Lowan Instant Dried Yeast. It was very active. My problem was
          trying
          > >to work out what the hydrometer readings meant - a reading of 80-90 It's
          > >Brewiser beer kit hydrometer.
          > >
          > >Bob Bourne.

        • Bob Bourne
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
            Hello Darryl,

            Thanks for your wash suggestions. I'll give it a go!

            Cheers,

            Bob.
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
              > It was just an experiment anyway, I'll tip it out.

              No. Still give it a crack & see for yourself how it goes.

              >> Harley is absolutely right. Bakers yeast is the
              >> last thing you want to use.

              I'd agree here too - but note as "the last thing to use.."
              I wouldn't say "never use it" - if you dont have access to the Turbos, or a decent wine yeast, etc, then bakers yeast will work, but as Mike points out, expect much lower alcohol, more fusels (and a real yeasty taste).It is a last resort, but it will work. I like adding it to my mollases rum for the flavour it adds. That stuff is never going to get above 7-8% alcohol, so no problems there.

              Tony
            • Bob Bourne
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                Hi Tony,

                Thanks for your mail. How long will this stuff keep in a bucket with a
                plastic sheet over it and a rubber band to seal it?

                Cheers,

                Bob.

                > No. Still give it a crack & see for yourself how it goes.
                >
                > >> Harley is absolutely right. Bakers yeast is the
                > >> last thing you want to use.
                >
                > I'd agree here too - but note as "the last thing to use.."
                > I wouldn't say "never use it" - if you dont have access to the Turbos, or
                a decent wine yeast, etc, then bakers yeast will work, but as Mike points
                out, expect much lower alcohol, more fusels (and a real yeasty taste).It is
                a last resort, but it will work. I like adding it to my mollases rum for the
                flavour it adds. That stuff is never going to get above 7-8% alcohol, so no
                problems there.
              • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                  > Thanks for your mail. How long will this stuff keep in a bucket with a
                  > plastic sheet over it and a rubber band to seal it?

                  I've got a wash at present which has been sitting for about 1.5-2 months, just in the fermenter with an airlock. Just a matter of keeping it sealed so as not to lose the CO2 layer. So - depending on how good your rubber band seal is - maybe weeks, maybe months.

                  Tony
                • Bob Bourne
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                    OK. Thanks. Maybe, I should have also asked, How do I know when it's off! Or
                    useless?

                    Bob.
                    > > Thanks for your mail. How long will this stuff keep in a bucket with a
                    > > plastic sheet over it and a rubber band to seal it?
                    >
                    > I've got a wash at present which has been sitting for about 1.5-2 months,
                    just in the fermenter with an airlock. Just a matter of keeping it sealed
                    so as not to lose the CO2 layer. So - depending on how good your rubber
                    band seal is - maybe weeks, maybe months.

                    > Tony

                  • Mike Nixon
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                      Agree with Tony wholeheartedly!  NEVER throw out booze!!!!
                      Save it for friends you don't like :-))

                      Mike N

                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                        > OK. Thanks. Maybe, I should have also asked, How do I know
                        > when it's off! Or useless?

                        the smell of vinegar
                      • Bob Bourne
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                          > > OK. Thanks. Maybe, I should have also asked, How do I know
                          > > when it's off! Or useless?
                          >
                          > the smell of vinegar

                          Thanks Tony. Now that is something to know!

                          Cheers,

                          Bob.
                        • Bob Bourne
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                            Agree with Tony wholeheartedly! NEVER throw out booze!!!!
                            Save it for friends you don't like :-))

                            Mike N

                            Ha! I'll add that one to my other methods Mike!

                            Cheers,

                            B.
                          • Harley Daschund
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                              Bob...I usually judge what works/dont work from my personal
                              experience....what someone else experiences,without my knowing the specific
                              details of the procedure leading up to their results,has very little
                              influence on my methods of doing 'whatever'...bottom line is..and this
                              pertains to all...if it works for you/you are satisfied with the result,go
                              with it...keep an open mind but,at the same time,dont let anyone tell you
                              that you are wrong when you have satisfactory results...example...one fellow
                              is well pleased with a Jack Daniels-like product...I,personally would rather
                              drink 'stump-water' than that crap..but,thats JMPO......have fun and 'cop a
                              buzz' occasionally...actually,I enjoy watching my friends 'consume' my
                              'wares' almost as much as I enjoy consuming them myself...:>)

                            • nanosleep
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                                If you are going to store the wash for some time, I'd
                                recommend 'racking' it off of the yeast. Let the wash
                                finish fermenting, let all the yeast settle to the bottom,
                                then gently siphon the wash into a clean fermenter.
                                Avoid contact with air. Try not to suck up any of the
                                yeast gunk with the siphon. If left for a long time the
                                yeast cells die and start to decompose. Not a problem other
                                than it gives the wash a bad taste and smell.
                                Doing a racking (or a few rackings) before distilling will
                                help you get cleaner vodkas. I'm not sure if you *want*
                                some of the yeast smell/tastes if you are doing whiskey/brandy
                                or the like. I usually never have enough patience to do a
                                proper racking. "Looks like it's done fermenting so RUN IT!!"

                                -A

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bourne" <bourne@v...>
                                wrote:
                                > OK. Thanks. Maybe, I should have also asked, How do I know when it's
                                off! Or
                                > useless?
                                >
                                > Bob.

                              • Bob Bourne
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                                  Harley ... yeah, I go along with all of that!

                                  Cheers, Bob.

                                  > Bob...I usually judge what works/dont work from my personal
                                  > experience....what someone else experiences,without my knowing the
                                  specific
                                  > details of the procedure leading up to their results,has very little
                                  > influence on my methods of doing 'whatever'...bottom line is..and this
                                  > pertains to all...if it works for you/you are satisfied with the result,go
                                  > with it...keep an open mind but,at the same time,dont let anyone tell you
                                  > that you are wrong when you have satisfactory results...example...one
                                  fellow
                                  > is well pleased with a Jack Daniels-like product...I,personally would
                                  rather
                                  > drink 'stump-water' than that crap..but,thats JMPO......have fun and 'cop
                                  > buzz' occasionally...actually,I enjoy watching my friends 'consume' my
                                  > 'wares' almost as much as I enjoy consuming them myself...:>)
                                  >

                                  > >From: "Bob Bourne" <bourne@...>
                                  > >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                                  > >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Mash confusion and bucket still
                                  > >Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 07:59:00 +1000
                                  > >
                                  > >Evidently you are correct Harley, see Mike's email. I'll tip it out!
                                  > >
                                  > >Bob.

                                • nanosleep
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                                    I don't pour out anything. I'll run it in the reflux still
                                    with an output of one drip per second if that's what it
                                    takes to squeeze out clean alcohol. But that's just
                                    what *I'd* do.

                                    -The cheap old bastard

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                                    <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                                    > > It was just an experiment anyway, I'll tip it out.
                                    >
                                    > No. Still give it a crack & see for yourself how it goes.
                                    >
                                    > >> Harley is absolutely right. Bakers yeast is the
                                    > >> last thing you want to use.
                                    >
                                    > I'd agree here too - but note as "the last thing to use.."
                                    > I wouldn't say "never use it" - if you dont have access to the
                                    Turbos, or a decent wine yeast, etc, then bakers yeast will work, but
                                    as Mike points out, expect much lower alcohol, more fusels (and a real
                                    yeasty taste).It is a last resort, but it will work. I like adding it
                                    to my mollases rum for the flavour it adds. That stuff is never going
                                    to get above 7-8% alcohol, so no problems there.

                                    > Tony
                                  • Bob Bourne
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                                      I'm a very cheap old bastard!

                                      Perhaps that's why I'm still working on my reflux still ...

                                      Cheers, Bob.
                                      > I don't pour out anything. I'll run it in the reflux still
                                      > with an output of one drip per second if that's what it
                                      > takes to squeeze out clean alcohol. But that's just
                                      > what *I'd* do.
                                      >
                                      > -The cheap old bastard
                                      >

                                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                                      > <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                                      > > > It was just an experiment anyway, I'll tip it out.
                                      > >
                                      > > No. Still give it a crack & see for yourself how it goes.

                                      > > I'd agree here too - but note as "the last thing to use.."
                                      > > I wouldn't say "never use it" - if you dont have access to the
                                      > Turbos, or a decent wine yeast, etc, then bakers yeast will work, but
                                      > as Mike points out, expect much lower alcohol, more fusels (and a real
                                      > yeasty taste).It is a last resort, but it will work. I like adding it
                                      > to my mollases rum for the flavour it adds. That stuff is never going
                                      > to get above 7-8% alcohol, so no problems there.
                                      > >
                                      > > Tony

                                    • Bob Bourne
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                                        -A,

                                        Yeah. I just wanted to fill in time while I wait for my reflux still to be
                                        finished. I had the sugar, I had the yeast. I was going to try a bucket
                                        still. Still may! (Pun intended!)

                                        Still trying!

                                        Bob.
                                        > If you are going to store the wash for some time, I'd
                                        > recommend 'racking' it off of the yeast. Let the wash
                                        > finish fermenting, let all the yeast settle to the bottom,
                                        > then gently siphon the wash into a clean fermenter.
                                        > Avoid contact with air. Try not to suck up any of the
                                        > yeast gunk with the siphon. If left for a long time the
                                        > yeast cells die and start to decompose. Not a problem other
                                        > than it gives the wash a bad taste and smell.
                                        > Doing a racking (or a few rackings) before distilling will
                                        > help you get cleaner vodkas. I'm not sure if you *want*
                                        > some of the yeast smell/tastes if you are doing whiskey/brandy
                                        > or the like. I usually never have enough patience to do a
                                        > proper racking. "Looks like it's done fermenting so RUN IT!!"
                                        >
                                        > -A
                                        >
                                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bourne" <bourne@v...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > > OK. Thanks. Maybe, I should have also asked, How do I know when it's
                                        > off! Or
                                        > > useless?
                                        > >
                                        > > Bob.

                                      • CornFed (Randy)
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                                          dont toss it out and waste all of that good sugar!!! just go and
                                          get some yeast at a brewing shop or order some in. The sugar water
                                          will wait for you to get the proper ingrediants

                                          wrote:
                                          > I made a mash. 4kg sugar, about 20 litres water and 4 heaped desert
                                          spoons
                                          > of dry yeast. It's been sitting 2-3 days.
                                          >
                                          > I've just used my (beer) hydrometer to measure the alcohol content
                                          and it's
                                          > bobbing around the 80/90 mark.
                                          >
                                          > Is that what I should expect?
                                          >
                                          > Isn't a mash supposed to be around 10/20 %.
                                          >
                                          > I want to try using a simple bucket still. What can I expect to get?
                                          >
                                          > Bob Bourne.
                                        • Bob Bourne
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 30, 2003
                                            Ah! Good idea! Thanks, I'll do that!

                                            Bob.
                                            > dont toss it out and waste all of that good sugar!!! just go and
                                            > get some yeast at a brewing shop or order some in. The sugar water
                                            > will wait for you to get the proper ingrediants
                                            >
                                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bourne" <bourne@v...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > > I made a mash. 4kg sugar, about 20 litres water and 4 heaped desert
                                            > spoons
                                            > > of dry yeast. It's been sitting 2-3 days.
                                            > >
                                            > > I've just used my (beer) hydrometer to measure the alcohol content
                                            > and it's
                                            > > bobbing around the 80/90 mark.
                                            > >
                                            > > Is that what I should expect?
                                            > >
                                            > > Isn't a mash supposed to be around 10/20 %.
                                            > >
                                            > > I want to try using a simple bucket still. What can I expect to get?
                                            > >
                                            > > Bob Bourne.

                                          • nanosleep
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 31, 2003
                                              I thought Bob had already pitched baker's yeast.
                                              Maybe I'm mistaken.
                                              After the first day of pitching the baker's yeast,
                                              it'll probably be hard to get the 'good' yeast to
                                              overtake the baker's yeast. The baker's should
                                              still produce some alcohol. It just won't be as
                                              much or as clean as it could be when using a
                                              brewer's/distiller's yeast.

                                              -A

                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CornFed (Randy)"

                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 1, 2003