Re: Controlling Nixon Stone head

  • nanosleep
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2003
      I tune the output rate based mostly on taste and smell.
      Typically I can detect a change in smell before a
      change in temperature (maybe I need a better thermometer.
      actually I could run no problem with no thermometer).
      After a few runs you'll have a good idea where
      to set your valves, and you'll probably only be doing
      small tweaks during the run. If you take off too much
      and it tastes bad, don't worry. Just redistill it
      again with the next batch.

      On a new still or still head your first batch will
      most likely need a redistill. Play with the settings
      and smell/taste the output and watch the temperature.
      You'll get a feel for how it behaves and you'll be
      running it fine in no time.Don't stick your nose
      in the cup and take a big sniff. Fan your hand over
      the cup and lightly sniff. >90% alcohol vapor is
      quite nasty to get up your nose. Dilute the alcohol
      before tasting. You want to *taste* what's there, not
      burn out your taste buds.

      -A

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Denehy" <greg@t...>