Re: [new_distillers] Fwd: Re: more help pls

  • Zoran Vujcic
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2003
      Greg
      plans  would be nice.
      Zoran
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 1:27 AM
      Subject: RE: [new_distillers] Fwd: Re: more help pls

      I will need to draw it up.  It is a 1.2m x 25mm reflux tube, with a bunch of fittings at the top that produce a Nixon stone offset head condenser.  Produces 96%+.  I have it sitting in a $12  25L plastic bucket with a heating element from a second hand jug that I paid $7 for.   The only thing that is not pure polypipe fittings is a piece of 12mm copper tube and a few rubber bungs in the condenser.

      I also have a recirculating water system because I hate to waste water down the drain.  I am using an old evaporative cooler as the cooler and pump, but my new design is a small but powerful pump in a bucket with maybe a frozen milkbottle full of water to keep it cool.

      If you are genuinely interested, I will draw up some proper plans.

      Greg

      Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 04:46:08 -0800 (PST)
      From: BOKAKOB
      Subject: Re: more help pls
      To: Blue

      Dont think much - just repeat somebody's working example. Make sure it fits your environment and the bill. If you have a shed it might have some parameters, if you plan to work in the kitchen or bathroom -- then adjust the apparatus accordingly. I work in the kitchen and built my apparatus based on convenience for me. As a rule, use 2"dia column - 1.2m or 1.5m high. It should provide a good resuts. If you dont like it you can always change it later. If you want to be over conservative then use 2 meter high column. 2" diameter column will provide more than enough alchol for a hobby. Believe me. There is no need for 3" diameter column for the first still. Good luck. Alex...

      So in terms of energy  efficiency is it best to go for the longest possible column (I guess there must be a limit when nothing would come out for any given power input ). Or a well tuned (reflux return)  shorter 1-1.5 mt column. Settle for tested average 2" diameter X 1.5 meter hight + 14" high condenser on top. It doesn't matter, offset, in-line, water jacked or other type...

      I am thinking that if you get 95% with a 1 m x 3-4 ratio reflux  where is the sense in going higher unless there is a time or efficiency advantage. None.

      How about a 1 mt 2.5-3"dia column compared with a 2mt 2'' unit. Is this a desirable alternative. I could very easily use a larger dia column (perhaps shorter) if this provides an advantage. It is beyond my practical knowledge.

      Do you think the reduced speed and greater volume would directly relate to an equally  effective and efficient shorter construction or is there a factor in the length I am missing. I belive volume has nothing to do with purity. It is a number of evaporation cycles what matters.

      Very sorry about the fragmented nature of the above, I sort of write like it comes to me. length, dia, reflux ratio, power input , condensing  capacity,  where are the limits and efficiency lines?? Again, chose one desing what you like and do it. You will get the feel of it as you progress in the new hobby.

      Hope to hear from you with your thoughts soon.
      Best regards and thanks a million.

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?