Re: [new_distillers] Re: water circulation

  • al lewis
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8, 2001
      thank you hoponpop,,,,, for yoyr help greatfully receivedarthur

      >From: hoponpopontoponmoponcop@...
      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: water circulation
      >Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:07:25 -0000
      >
      >Yes a pump can be used to recycle the water, if:
      >1. you're doing small enough batches,
      >2. you can run enough water through the condensor fast enough,
      >3. you've got some way of keeping the water cool if you need to cool
      >it.
      >
      >Condensors work better with a high water flow, better than slow flow
      >and colder water.
      >
      >A neat trick is to buy quick-connect/disconnect hose fittings so you
      >can rig your condensor quickly either way.
      >
      >--- In new_distillers@y..., "al lewis" <salamat25@h...> wrote:
      > >

      > > >Hi, as a new member I'm seeking help please. I'm in the process of
      >building
      > > >a reflex still along the lines of Gert Strands' design as I have
      >no other
      > > >detailed description of one but form reading inten to do away with
      >the
      > > >bottom cooling pipe in the column.
      > > I would like to know as I will be using it away from a water source
      >if
      > > an aquarium [external] air pump can be used in some way to
      >circulate the
      > > cooling water?
      > > Any assistance greatly appreciated. arthur

    • ronald miller sr
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 8, 2001
        Someone on biofuels recommended a fish tank pump. I thought you might get a
        LARGE pail filled with ice and water and just recirculate it until done
        maybe having to add ice once every so often.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 9, 2001

          many thanks ronald for you advice. arthur
          ce>From: "ronald miller sr"

        • tedsims@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 9, 2001
            I use a 180 gph adjustable flow rate statuary pump. These are
            cheap, connect to 0,5 inch hose, and are submersible. They cost
            about $40. US Home Depot has them.

            --- In new_distillers@y..., "ronald miller sr" <miller680@h...>

          • Matt
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
              On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 05:10:32AM -0000, tedsims@... wrote:
              > I use a 180 gph adjustable flow rate statuary pump. These are
              > cheap, connect to 0,5 inch hose, and are submersible. They cost
              > about $40. US Home Depot has them.

              Ted, what method do you use to cool your reservoir? I have used a series
              of those frozen gelpacks in the past, but keeping the water temp at a
              stable level has proven difficult.

              Matthew @ psibercom
            • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                >Ted, what method do you use to cool your reservoir?
                >I have used a series of those frozen gelpacks in the past,
                >but keeping the water temp at a stable level has proven difficult.

                Cheaper and easier than gelpacks are simply to freeze water-filled
                plastic/PET softdrink bottles (the 2L ones). These can be dropped into the
                water reservoir as it warms. You can also get them a bit colder by dosing
                the water in them heavily with salt prior to freezing. Don't forget to
                leave a wee air-space in them too (for expansion during freezing).

                But - still the problem of how to carefully juggle their addition so that
                the water temperature remains constant.

                Tony
              • tedsims@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                  As a strictly temporary measure I am using frozen 2 liter plastic
                  jugs in a tank, but this is just until I get a small radiator set up
                  with a couple of computer cooling fans, or some other scheme. I
                  haven't really decided yet what to do as a permanent solution.

                  wrote:
                  > > I use a 180 gph adjustable flow rate statuary pump. These
                  are
                  > > cheap, connect to 0,5 inch hose, and are submersible. They
                  cost
                  > > about $40. US Home Depot has them.
                  >
                  > Ted, what method do you use to cool your reservoir? I have
                  used a series
                  > of those frozen gelpacks in the past, but keeping the water
                  temp at a
                  > stable level has proven difficult.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Matthew @ psibercom
                  > psibercom.org: doing pretty much nothing for the net since
                  1994!
                • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                    About cooling...

                    I read a post where someone used old forced-hot-water type baseboard heater elements (the kind with all of the aluminum fins on it) to run the water through before returning it to the water resivoir. If I remember right they used a fan to cool the water further. It seems logical to me.

                    -Tim
                  • Matt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 11, 2001
                      On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 12:00:24AM -0400, MtrcyclMon@... wrote:
                      > About cooling...
                      >
                      > I read a post where someone used old forced-hot-water type baseboard heater elements (the kind with all of the aluminum fins on it) to run the water through before returning it to the water resivoir. If I remember right they used a fan to cool the water further. It seems logical to me.

                      It would use electricity, but the newer thermoelectric coolers are looking
                      better and better as a reservoir cooling solution. They are solid-state
                      devices (except for the cooling fans that pull away the heat from the
                      exchanger fins) and should continue to get better as the technology
                      evolves. Any hardware hackers out there want to design one for us
                      water-conservation-conscious distillers? ;) here's a commercial product
                      using this technology:
                      http://www.igloocoolers.com/products/active/active.html

                      Matthew @ psibercom
                    • booger471@email.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 11, 2001
                        Matt wrote:

                        >> I read a post where someone used old forced-hot-water type baseboard
                        >>heater elements (the kind with all of the aluminum fins on it) to run
                        >>the water through before returning it to the water resivoir. If I
                        >>remember right they used a fan to cool the water further. It seems
                        >>logical to me.
                        >
                        >It would use electricity, but the newer thermoelectric coolers are looking
                        >better and better as a reservoir cooling solution. They are solid-state
                        >devices (except for the cooling fans that pull away the heat from the
                        >exchanger fins) and should continue to get better as the technology
                        >evolves.

                        At the present level of technology, thermoelectric coolers are nowhere
                        near efficient enough to be useful for condensing. Forced-air cooling
                        using baseboard fins would use electricity much more wisely (as power is
                        only required for the fan and the water recirc pump), and consume no
                        water.

                        Booger
                      • Matt
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 11, 2001
                          On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 05:17:57PM -0400, booger471@... wrote:
                          > At the present level of technology, thermoelectric coolers are nowhere
                          > near efficient enough to be useful for condensing. Forced-air cooling
                          > using baseboard fins would use electricity much more wisely (as power is
                          > only required for the fan and the water recirc pump), and consume no
                          > water.

                          true, for now. but it doesn't mean people aren't trying :)

                          http://www.tetech.com/assys/water.html
                          http://www.supercool.se/pages/la.html
                          http://lifesciences.dalsa.com/technology/cooling.asp

                          Matthew @ psibercom
                        • G&N
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 11, 2001
                            Peltier's cooling our overclocked pc and our Stills hehe ...cool

                            Glenn