Re: [new_distillers] Re: A question of temperature and purity and reflux

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2003

      i would think that is correct. the only problem i can see is that if
      you have it running at the bare minimum reflux you will have to check
      it more often and change the reflux more often.

      Disagree and think it is incorrect. Once the column is set up for reflux it takes care of itself automatically. It is only for this kind of still though.

      (snip)

      i still get slight smells collecting at 78C so i wonder if my column was higher and RR was higher so as it was 78C 1/2 way down the column would the output be "ultra pure" and free of smells.

      (snip)

      If I am correct the �smells� come from esters (or whatever it is called). The condensing point for this fraction is lower and very close to that of ethanol. I saw a table a while ago suggesting the number of theoretical plates to get a good separation between different fractions with different boiling points. I noted that it requires SIXTY plates for a difference between ethanol and esters of about one degree Centigrade! So, if you want the HEIGHT to separate these fractions then you column better be nine stories high.

      The reflux will divert most of condensate back and more agile fraction will make it to the top eventually faster than the ethanol. So, THIS is the mechanism what separates �smells.� Plus a little of patience�

      Peter

       peter_vcb <viciousblackout@...> wrote:

      i would think that is correct.

      I can be wrong I must say