RE: [new_distillers] Off-Topic Computer Help Needed

  • Robert Stam
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2003
      Oops sorry, should have replied diretly to Alex, not the group.

      Rob
      From:  Surfin Mac <surfinmac@k...>
      Date:  Thu Mar 20, 2003  2:46 pm
      Subject:  Re: [CHAD] ISP locked-up directory with my files...

      Wow, I never heard of such a thing! Sounds like this could be illegal. Have you contacted MetConnect? Mac

      At 12:29 PM 3/20/2003, you wrote:
      Hello, all members!
      I just joined this group and hope to hear a suggestion how to conquer a locked up directory. I used for a while a free Internet access provider called "MetConnect" and after a while realized that by dialing in I allowed access to my computer. MetConnect most likely is doing some distributing computing and was not happy when I was shutting my computer down overnight. So, they started to modify my operating system (Windows XP Professional). After some time I was not
      able to control dial-up, shutting down, task management and so on and on. Finally, I got fed up and I re-installed Windows XP Pro over the old installation. MetConnect in turn retaliated with creating a separate directory with all my files. That directory has my old user name and is ABSOLUTELY not accessible with normal means. I tried graphic explorer and DOS command prompt. In both cases I got "Access Denied" message. I would not want to lose my family pictures and MP3
      songs there. Please help me and point me in the right direction, weather using Norton Utilities, disk recovery or any other means to access or copy that directory. I am remaining most appreciative and waiting for suggestions, Alex...

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.