Re: bubbles and alcohol

  • hoponpopontoponmoponcop@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2001
      Actually the main difference between the alcohol contents is due to
      method. The hard lemon cider is left to ferment (probably for 10
      days or so) and then either racked into secondary fermenation or
      bottled and primed with sugar (if you want it fizzy) or without sugar
      (if you want a traditional cider). The ginger beer recipe does have
      traces of alcohol, but not much. I've made many a batch of ginger
      beer both hard and not. If you mix the ingredients and then bottle,
      you get "non-alcoholic" ginger beer. In this case the environment
      for the yeast is not condusive to making alcohol and the yeast goes
      dormant or dies. If you mix and let sit and ferment, then it's well
      going to ferment - aka make alcohol.

      On the subject of sugar priming, be very very careful. It's
      dangerous to prime individual bottles. prime the whole batch with 1-
      1/4 to 1 3/4 cup of corn (not cane) sugar for 5 gallons (sorry I
      don't know metric).