RE: [new_distillers] Everybody!!

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2000
      >And did I read it right you only put a small amount Of mash
      >into the thump/ And then clean out the still and the thumper [after
      >running it thru of course] Add the results of the first run back into
      >the empty thumper and then once again fill the still with fresh mash and
      >running this through? Could somebody tell the procedure very simply from
      >step one to the finish using the thump keg style still?Thanks a heap!!

      1) Fill (2/3rds) still with mash
      2) put some liquid in the thumper - this can be either some "tails" from
      the last run , or some water
      3) run still
      3a) throw away the "heads" (the first 50+ mL) as this contains traces of
      methanol
      3b) keep the good stuff for drinking
      3c) keep the "tails" (eg the very low alcohol distillate that comes over
      last, like <25% a/v), but keep seperate from the middle cut
      4) Stop distilling when the tails get "smelly" or you are measuring >96C
      5) Clean out still& thumper & hide it again

      The "tails" can be added to the mash used in the next run, or kept until
      you have enough of them to do a single run from. They contain usefull
      alcohol, so no point tossing them. Using them in the thumper just hastens
      the point at which the thumper becomes usefull (eg it won't work until the
      liquid in it is fully saturated with alcohol, so using something already
      with alcohol in it is a head start)

      Tony
    • Jeff Erickson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2000
        Tom has an interesting article in his news letter (
        http://moonshine.co.nz/march99.html ) about
        Traditional Moonshine. It talks about a thumper.

        Jeff(Rogue)

        http://im.yahoo.com/