safety

  • Phil B
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
      Being very new to this newsgroup and in the early stages of
      distillation my question is. When distilling in an enclosed space
      (i.e. no windows to open) will it be safe using an electric ring as a
      heat source?

      What sort or precautions did I ought to be taking.....this is an
      attic space.

      If this has been asked before I am sorry!

      Many thanks
    • G&N
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
        electric is not a problem providing you have no leaks..you wouldn't want it
        to drip onto the hot plate..what do you do for the water source? being in
        the attic!!LOL you should have some sort of ventilation though..even an
        exhaust fan..the fumes might get a bit strong...
        thanks Glenn
        > Being very new to this newsgroup and in the early stages of
        > distillation my question is. When distilling in an enclosed space
        > (i.e. no windows to open) will it be safe using an electric ring as a
        > heat source?
        >
        > What sort or precautions did I ought to be taking.....this is an
        > attic space.
        >
        > If this has been asked before I am sorry!
        >
        > Many thanks

      • Phil B
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
          Waters not a problem, the room was set up as a dark room, hence the
          lack of windows! I have access holes into the eaves of the house. If
          I set up a fan to move the air around do you think that this wil
          suffice?
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
            quisling3204@... writes:

            <<

            Electric heat is the safest you can use when distilling (using a propane
            burner with no ventilation will kill you with carbon monoxide fumes) If you
            insist on having no fresh air blowing through, at least make sure you have a
            very effecient condensor- if alcohol manages to get out as a vapor, and that
            vapor builds up in the room and contacts the heating element- BOOM!