inline columns - half disks or a spoon?

  • Bob Bourne
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2003
      I found this drawing (1.ipg) somewhere and I can't remember where. It looks
      like it's for an inline column to me. Can anyone tell me if this works OK? I
      assume the sloping lines represent half disks cut to fit the column?

      Can I use this instead of the spoon in the N/S inline? (Fig7.ipg)

      Any advise would be appreciated. About to make one up.

      Bob Bourne.
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2003
        Bob Bourne wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] inline columns - half disks or a spoon?

        I found this drawing (1.ipg) somewhere and I can't remember where. It looks like it's for an inline column to me. Can anyone tell me if this works OK? I assume the sloping lines represent half disks cut to fit the column?
        Can I use this instead of the spoon in the N/S inline? (Fig7.ipg)
        Any advise would be appreciated. About to make one up.
        Hi Bob,

        Yes, that Fig 7 is taken from "The Distillation of Alcohol" that John Stone and I published in February 2000.  I know it well as I drew it!  The other design, with the sloping lines, looks very much like the elliptical plate design that Alex (Bokabob) came up with.  As you can see, both utilise the same principles, so Alex's design can indeed be used as a good inline method of managing the reflux.  It probably also has advantages over the "spoon" as it will catch more of the distillate as it drips down.  Certainly, those who have used Alex's design speak highly of it.

        Mike N

      • Bob Bourne
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2003
          Thanks Mike.

          "It probably also has advantages over the "spoon" as it will catch more of
          the distillate as it drips down. Certainly, those who have used Alex's
          design speak highly of it."

          I think I'll go for that then. It would give a head too, I'm imagining. You
          talked about allowing enough head with regard to the needle valve a short
          week or so ago.