Re: More on "impossible results?"

  • Snowblind Moose <tonkay1@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 3:52 PM
      Thanx for your input Bryn! - but no, my "alchometer" is reading
      percent (actualy it's both, one side % - the other proof). I checked
      it for acuracy by testing some comercially available " 40% Alchool" (
      I live in Canada)and it's within a hair. And, as I said in my first
      post on this subject, I was collecting "heads" at a steady 85.2
      degrees C. According to Mr. Ackland's "Dist. Temp. and Concentration
      Relationship" table, 82% is in the ballpark so to speak.

      The table also indicates that my wort must've been an impossibly high
      ABV. This is what's perplexing me.

      This is the 1st time I've tried the "Prestige Pot Distillers Yeast"
      also, I don't know an acurate sugar content, as I can only guess at
      the content in the berries - and I used a lot of berries. (for more
      info - see my 1st post)

      S.M.

      p.s. I added the "tails" from a previous batch to the wort, but less
      than a litre with a fairly low abv.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bryn Tucker <bryn@e...> wrote:
      > My pot still usually starts out at 78% output and generally runs
      down at an increasing curve (meaning the % drops faster as the run
      continues) until about 60-58% when the percentage drops extremely
      rapidly. This happens when I do stripping runs, and second whisky
      runs with a start at about 30%.
      > If I do a run with the starting percentage above 40% in the boiler
      (when I'm doing a schnapps or gin run), I usually get a start at 84%.
      > I've never had a wort test above 17%.
      >
      > Maybe your alcoholmeter is proof, not ABV?
      > 41% (82 proof) seems like a good number for a pot still run, and
      12% (24 proof) is average for wort.

    • peter_vcb <viciousblackout@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4 3:30 AM
        "If I do a run with the starting percentage above 40% in the boiler
        (when I'm doing a schnapps or gin run), I usually get a start at 84%."
        this seems correct to me. on tonys site it says it should come out at
        78% at the start with 40%.
        if you have a large lyne arm you will get more than this. do you cool
        your alcohol to 20C before measuring the %. if it is warm it can
        change the readings dramatically giving a higher % than reality.
        when you do a 17% run what is the overall % of all the distillate
        mixed together? how many litres do you collect?

        Peter

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose

      • Snowblind Moose
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4 4:48 PM
          Thanks for your interest Peter:

          I should clarify; The average of the "berry brandy" was 73% - it
          STARTED at 82% (the 1st 200 mls. of "hearts").

          I have a lyne arm made from 3/8 copper line. From the boiler it runs
          at a 45 degree angle, upward for about 32 in., then runs down to
          the condensor at a 45 degree angle at for about 36 in. (trying to get
          some "reflux" happening in the lyne arm).

          It is definitely cooled to below 20 degrees C. (I use snow in the
          condensor bucket this time of year). The temp. correction according
          to the instructions on my alchometer is minimal (at a few degrees
          below 20 C.), if anything I'm reading a lower percent than what the
          distalate actually is.

          When I run a "turbo yeast" mash through, I typically get 1st drips
          (heads) at 83 degrees, and I collect "hearts" at averaging around 90
          degrees. From 5 gal. of mash I get just under a gal. (not
          including "tails" that I cut off as soon as I get the aftertaste)of
          about 63 - 65% abv.

          Any further comments will be appreciated, this is definately a higher
          % than I should have (according to my understanding of the
          priciples) - The good news here is that I'm really starting to like
          the "berry brandy" that it produced - so much so that I think I'll
          try to duplicate the results. ( I was considering using "ec 1118" to
          give me a lower % mash - thereby more fruit taste in the distilate)

          S.M.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb