RE: [new_distillers] Reflux column size

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 3 11:19 AM
      > Here's the story... We currently have a 10 gal reflux still with
      > the reflux column size of 2 inch by 36 inch. We are upgrading to a
      > 40 gallon reflux still and we didn't know what size column to
      > build. Any ideas or rules of thumb to follow?? We were thinking of
      > building a 3 inch column..

      If you are using the same heat source, then the old column will still work fine. You only need to make the column wider if you are going to be using more heat.

      Tony
    • PJEVolley <pjevolley@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 3 11:41 AM
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
        <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
        > > Here's the story... We currently have a 10 gal reflux still
        with
        > > the reflux column size of 2 inch by 36 inch. We are upgrading
        to a
        > > 40 gallon reflux still and we didn't know what size column to
        > > build. Any ideas or rules of thumb to follow?? We were
        thinking of
        > > building a 3 inch column..
        >
        > If you are using the same heat source, then the old column will
        still work fine. You only need to make the column wider if you are
        going to be using more heat.

        > Tony

        We are going from a turkey frier propane source to a Groen 208v 40
        gal steam cooker. It has 21.6KW heating elements. and heats up to
        270deg with a thermostatic control.
      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 3 1:42 PM

          keep the same column, add anoterh 12 inches of height

           "PJEVolley <pjevolley@...>" <pjevolley@...> wrote:

          Here's the story...  We currently have a 10 gal reflux still with
          the reflux column size of 2 inch by 36 inch.  We are upgrading to a
          40 gallon reflux still and we didn't know what size column to
          build.  Any ideas or rules of thumb to follow??  We were thinking of
          building a 3 inch column..
          Thanks in advance.

          I can be wrong I must say.
          Cheers, Alex...

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 3 3:02 PM
            > It has 21.6KW heating elements.

            I hope thats 2x 1.6 kW, not 21.6 kW ?
            If a total of 3.2kW, then yes, 3 inch diameter should be suitable.

            Tony
          • P E
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 3 6:32 PM
              Nope... According to the specs on this steam cooker
              it is 21.6kw total and I think that is spread out
              between 6 heating elements... It is currently 208v 3
              phase but I am going to convert it to single phase so
              I can use it.. When it is done, I will post pics..
              It should be the ultimate still!!! Can't wait to get
              it up and working....
              PJ

              --- "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • peter_vcb <viciousblackout@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 4 3:29 AM
                you could wire the 6 elements up nicely and have great power contol.
                i had a 3 inch column and it was a perfect size for scrubbers, any
                larger and you will have trouble unless you get some copper mesh from
                the 2 Mikes.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "PJEVolley <pjevolley@y...>"
                <pjevolley@y...> wrote:
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                > <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                > > > Here's the story... We currently have a 10 gal reflux still
                > with
                > > > the reflux column size of 2 inch by 36 inch. We are upgrading
                > to a
                > > > 40 gallon reflux still and we didn't know what size column to
                > > > build. Any ideas or rules of thumb to follow?? We were
                > thinking of
                > > > building a 3 inch column..
                > >
                > > If you are using the same heat source, then the old column will
                > still work fine. You only need to make the column wider if you are
                > going to be using more heat.
                > >
                > > Tony
                >
                > We are going from a turkey frier propane source to a Groen 208v 40
                > gal steam cooker. It has 21.6KW heating elements. and heats up to
                > 270deg with a thermostatic control.
              • nanosleep
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 4 7:37 PM
                  I use 1500 watts on a 2 inch diameter column. This
                  roughly equates to a power density of 477 watts per
                  square inch. If I run 3000 watts the column will flood
                  (954 watts per square inch). I am assuming a larger
                  column can handle a similar power density. In order
                  to handle 21.6Kw of power you'll need about 45 sq.in.
                  of cross sectional area. This equates to about an
                  8 inch diameter column (50.2 sq.in.)!!!!!!!!!
                  You'll need a warehouse of fermenters to keep that
                  beast fed. Also I'm not sure my 'back of the
                  envelope' calculations are appropriate for that
                  large of a column. You may require an even larger
                  column to handle 21.6Kw. I have no experience
                  on that scale of power.

                  I'd recommend using a 3 inch column that is as tall
                  as will fit within your building. You'll be happier
                  with a very tall still. It's much easier to get
                  clean vodkas. Also, it's easier to detune a tall
                  still than it is to improve a short one. You can
                  run with little or no reflux when you want to keep
                  the flavors.
                  You are going to need a method to reduce the power
                  down to a managable level (3kw). Connecting all or
                  part of the elements in series will reduce power.
                  Switching the elements back into a parallel hook
                  up will increase the power output. Having
                  the extra power capacity would be great for 'instant'
                  startup time. However, you'll have to be careful
                  about burning your wash with that much power.

                  -A

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, P E <pjevolley@y...> wrote:
                  > Nope... According to the specs on this steam cooker
                  > it is 21.6kw total and I think that is spread out
                  > between 6 heating elements... It is currently 208v 3
                  > phase but I am going to convert it to single phase so
                  > I can use it.. When it is done, I will post pics..
                  > It should be the ultimate still!!! Can't wait to get
                  > it up and working....
                  > PJ

                • pjevolley
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 5 8:56 AM
                    Thanks for all the info.. This steam cooker has 6 heating elements
                    totalling 21.6kw. If my math is correct, that is 6, 3600w
                    elements. I have rewired this unit to run single phase (from 3
                    phase) and I wired it to only use 4 of the 6 elements which should
                    bring it down to 14.4kw. This cooker is a 40 gal steam cooker which
                    is kind of like a double boiler, hot water is what cooks the
                    contents. Here is a link to the BEAST.. Let me know what you
                    think.. This is either going to be the ULTIMATE still or a big
                    flop.. But, I have faith that it will be AWESOME!!
                    http://www.groen.com:9097/products/kettles/spec_sheets/floor_mounted_
                    kettles/EE-a.htm
                    Take a look and let me know what you think.. EVERY idea is
                    helpfull!!

                    PJ

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nanosleep" <nanosleep@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > I use 1500 watts on a 2 inch diameter column. This
                    > roughly equates to a power density of 477 watts per
                    > square inch. If I run 3000 watts the column will flood
                    > (954 watts per square inch). I am assuming a larger
                    > column can handle a similar power density. In order
                    > to handle 21.6Kw of power you'll need about 45 sq.in.
                    > of cross sectional area. This equates to about an
                    > 8 inch diameter column (50.2 sq.in.)!!!!!!!!!
                    > You'll need a warehouse of fermenters to keep that
                    > beast fed. Also I'm not sure my 'back of the
                    > envelope' calculations are appropriate for that
                    > large of a column. You may require an even larger
                    > column to handle 21.6Kw. I have no experience
                    > on that scale of power.
                    >
                    > I'd recommend using a 3 inch column that is as tall
                    > as will fit within your building. You'll be happier
                    > with a very tall still. It's much easier to get
                    > clean vodkas. Also, it's easier to detune a tall
                    > still than it is to improve a short one. You can
                    > run with little or no reflux when you want to keep
                    > the flavors.
                    > You are going to need a method to reduce the power
                    > down to a managable level (3kw). Connecting all or
                    > part of the elements in series will reduce power.
                    > Switching the elements back into a parallel hook
                    > up will increase the power output. Having
                    > the extra power capacity would be great for 'instant'
                    > startup time. However, you'll have to be careful
                    > about burning your wash with that much power.
                    >
                    > -A
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, P E <pjevolley@y...> wrote:
                    > > Nope... According to the specs on this steam cooker
                    > > it is 21.6kw total and I think that is spread out
                    > > between 6 heating elements... It is currently 208v 3
                    > > phase but I am going to convert it to single phase so
                    > > I can use it.. When it is done, I will post pics..
                    > > It should be the ultimate still!!! Can't wait to get
                    > > it up and working....
                    > > PJ

                  • Zoran Vujcic
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 5 10:21 AM
                      What is the price of this unit?

                      wrote:
                      > I use 1500 watts on a 2 inch diameter column.  This
                      > roughly equates to a power density of 477 watts per
                      > square inch.  If I run 3000 watts the column will flood
                      > (954 watts per square inch).  I am assuming a larger
                      > column can handle a similar power density.  In order
                      > to handle 21.6Kw of power you'll need about 45 sq.in.
                      > of cross sectional area.  This equates to about an
                      > 8 inch diameter column (50.2 sq.in.)!!!!!!!!!
                      > You'll need a warehouse of fermenters to keep that
                      > beast fed.  Also I'm not sure my 'back of the
                      > envelope' calculations are appropriate for that
                      > large of a column.  You may require an even larger
                      > column to handle 21.6Kw.  I have no experience
                      > on that scale of power.
                      >
                      > I'd recommend using a 3 inch column that is as tall
                      > as will fit within your building.  You'll be happier
                      > with a very tall still.  It's much easier to get
                      > clean vodkas.  Also, it's easier to detune a tall
                      > still than it is to improve a short one.  You can
                      > run with little or no reflux when you want to keep
                      > the flavors.
                      > You are going to need a method to reduce the power
                      > down to a managable level (3kw).  Connecting all or
                      > part of the elements in series will reduce power.
                      > Switching the elements back into a parallel hook
                      > up will increase the power output.  Having
                      > the extra power capacity would be great for 'instant'
                      > startup time.  However, you'll have to be careful
                      > about burning your wash with that much power.
                      >
                      > -A
                      >
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, P E <pjevolley@y...> wrote:
                      > > Nope...   According to the specs on this steam cooker
                      > > it is 21.6kw total and I think that is spread out
                      > > between 6 heating elements...  It is currently 208v 3
                      > > phase but I am going to convert it to single phase so
                      > > I can use it..  When it is done, I will post pics..
                      > > It should be the ultimate still!!!  Can't wait to get
                      > > it up and working....
                      > > PJ

                    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 5 11:39 AM
                        PJ - I'm with nano on this one. 21kW would be great as a stripping still (pot still setup), but will be a tad too industrial sized to be practical as a pot still. I estimate approx 7 inch diameter required if packed with scrubbers - but thats not practical - would be too difficult to evenly place them, so you'd probably need to go up to say 8-10" and use raschig rings instead. Why not stick with just 3600W and a 3" column for the reflux mode. If you try using all that power in a too-narrow column, all you are going to do is blow all the vapour & reflux straight out the top of it - none of the reflux will get the opportunity to come back down and do its business.

                        ps - trying 21kW in my calculator at HomeDistiller gives some really weird answers. Methinks I may need to remove that page until I can sort it out.

                        Tony
                      • pjevolley
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 5 12:36 PM
                          This is thermostatically controlled and when I rewired it from 3
                          phase to single phase, I only connected 4 of the 6 heating
                          ellements. So, I can heat slow with the thermostat control and
                          should be pretty consistant as the elements heat the liquid that
                          surrounds the pot instead of the elements heating the wash it's
                          self. This should give me a little better results I hope...
                          I think we are going to try a run this weekend if I can get the
                          column refitted to this pot..
                          This cooker costs about $10,000 new!!!!! We picked it up at an
                          auction for $120.00!!!! So, if it doesn't work,,,, EBAY!!!!!

                          <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                          > PJ - I'm with nano on this one. 21kW would be great as a
                          stripping still (pot still setup), but will be a tad too industrial
                          sized to be practical as a pot still. I estimate approx 7 inch
                          diameter required if packed with scrubbers - but thats not
                          practical - would be too difficult to evenly place them, so you'd
                          probably need to go up to say 8-10" and use raschig rings instead.
                          Why not stick with just 3600W and a 3" column for the reflux mode.
                          If you try using all that power in a too-narrow column, all you are
                          going to do is blow all the vapour & reflux straight out the top of
                          it - none of the reflux will get the opportunity to come back down
                          and do its business.

                          > ps - trying 21kW in my calculator at HomeDistiller gives some
                          really weird answers. Methinks I may need to remove that page until
                          I can sort it out.

                          > Tony
                        • pjevolley
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 5 12:38 PM
                            Well, new this unit is about $10,000. We picked it up at an auction
                            for $120.00.. (Yes, that is TEN THOUSAND dollars) I LOVE
                            auctions.. LOLOL

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zoran Vujcic" <zvujcic@v...>

                            Service.
                          • Brandon Lee
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 5 3:12 PM

                              well all i can say is that if it doesn't work-- give me a shot at it-- Groen makes these cookers in my home town and one of my good friends who we do competition cookoff's with is the manager of the fabrication plant here---yes he is correct-- it is the ultimate cooking kettle--they have a gas fired one that is even better but again really pricey-- their training kitchen here is probably the very best equipped u will ever see -- just a questimate on the equipment cost would be well into the six figure range-

                              your brother in the spirits

                              Blueflame456

                              <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                              > PJ - I'm with nano on this one.  21kW would be great as a
                              stripping still (pot still setup), but will be a tad too industrial
                              sized to be practical as a pot still.  I estimate  approx 7 inch
                              diameter required if packed with scrubbers - but thats not
                              practical - would be too difficult to evenly place them, so you'd
                              probably need to go up to say 8-10" and use raschig rings instead.
                              Why not stick with just 3600W and a 3" column for the reflux mode.
                              If you try using all that power in a too-narrow column, all you are
                              going to do is blow all the vapour & reflux straight out the top of
                              it - none of the reflux will get the opportunity to come back down
                              and do its business.

                              > ps - trying 21kW in my calculator at HomeDistiller gives some
                              really weird answers.  Methinks I may need to remove that page until
                              I can sort it out.

                              > Tony

                              Do you Yahoo!?

                            • stillyaakman
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 5 9:53 PM
                                Here's my two cents
                                I have a 10 gal. Groen kettle @ 10 kw.208v.3ph. One of the elements
                                was open so I rewired it as 1ph.parallel @240v. which still comes out
                                as 10kw. I am going to add a 1/2 barrel keg to the top of it and end
                                up with 25.5 gal.
                                The real beauty of the kettle is the control you have of the temp.
                                the steam jacket is thermostaticly controled and eleminates any
                                problems you would have with surge boiling. I think it will take a
                                little tinkering to learn where to set the control for the best power
                                input.
                                Another nice feature of the jacketed kettle is protection of the mash
                                from burning against a hot element.
                                Really any size column (that wasn't too large) is doable. but larger
                                will give more volume output per hour.
                                Dan
                              • pjevolley
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 10 10:35 AM
                                  OK!! Test run was Sat. night.. Here's what happened and my next
                                  question... This cooker is AWESOME!!!! With the thermostatic
                                  control, the wash stayed at a CONSTANT temp.. PERFECT.. I added
                                  about 16 inches to the column which was 36" to start with.. My
                                  QUESTION: The original column was packed with copper scrubber pads
                                  approx the first 16" of the column. With this on a 10gal pot for
                                  cooking (with about 6gal of wash) we would get consistant flow when
                                  the column temp was over 77 degrees C. the temp in the column was
                                  pretty constant considering we were cooking outside on a turkey
                                  frier LP cooker. With the new cooker and the increased column
                                  length, we packed NEW stainless scrubbers about 20" - 24" into the
                                  column. While cooking, the column temp seemed to fluxuate about 1-2
                                  degrees, back and forth and the output was very spuratic.
                                  ANY ideas on the cause? We kinda think maybe the scrubbers are too
                                  dense, causing restricted flow and not allowing the vapor to reach
                                  the top of the column (where the thermometer is) at a constant
                                  rate. ANY IDEAS?????
                                  Thanks, PJ

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stillyaakman"
                                  <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:
                                  > Here's my two cents
                                  > I have a 10 gal. Groen kettle @ 10 kw.208v.3ph. One of the
                                  elements
                                  > was open so I rewired it as 1ph.parallel @240v. which still comes
                                  out
                                  > as 10kw. I am going to add a 1/2 barrel keg to the top of it and
                                  end
                                  > up with 25.5 gal.
                                  > The real beauty of the kettle is the control you have of the temp.
                                  > the steam jacket is thermostaticly controled and eleminates any
                                  > problems you would have with surge boiling. I think it will take a
                                  > little tinkering to learn where to set the control for the best
                                  power
                                  > input.
                                  > Another nice feature of the jacketed kettle is protection of the
                                  mash
                                  > from burning against a hot element.
                                  > Really any size column (that wasn't too large) is doable. but
                                  larger
                                  > will give more volume output per hour.
                                  > Dan
                                • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 10 10:52 AM
                                    Sounds like you've packed the scrubbers too tight. They should be nice and loose - like as loose as just sitting on the table. Even tease them out a little if necessary. I'd also suggest that you pack the entire 52" of the column. Any empty space in there is just doing nothing.

                                    Tony