Reflux column size

  • PJEVolley <pjevolley@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 3, 2003
      Here's the story... We currently have a 10 gal reflux still with
      the reflux column size of 2 inch by 36 inch. We are upgrading to a
      40 gallon reflux still and we didn't know what size column to
      build. Any ideas or rules of thumb to follow?? We were thinking of
      building a 3 inch column..
      Thanks in advance.
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 3, 2003
        > Here's the story... We currently have a 10 gal reflux still with
        > the reflux column size of 2 inch by 36 inch. We are upgrading to a
        > 40 gallon reflux still and we didn't know what size column to
        > build. Any ideas or rules of thumb to follow?? We were thinking of
        > building a 3 inch column..

        If you are using the same heat source, then the old column will still work fine. You only need to make the column wider if you are going to be using more heat.

        Tony
      • PJEVolley <pjevolley@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 3, 2003
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
          <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
          > > Here's the story... We currently have a 10 gal reflux still
          with
          > > the reflux column size of 2 inch by 36 inch. We are upgrading
          to a
          > > 40 gallon reflux still and we didn't know what size column to
          > > build. Any ideas or rules of thumb to follow?? We were
          thinking of
          > > building a 3 inch column..
          >
          > If you are using the same heat source, then the old column will
          still work fine. You only need to make the column wider if you are
          going to be using more heat.

          > Tony

          We are going from a turkey frier propane source to a Groen 208v 40
          gal steam cooker. It has 21.6KW heating elements. and heats up to
          270deg with a thermostatic control.
        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 3, 2003

            keep the same column, add anoterh 12 inches of height

             "PJEVolley <pjevolley@...>" <pjevolley@...> wrote:

            Here's the story...  We currently have a 10 gal reflux still with
            the reflux column size of 2 inch by 36 inch.  We are upgrading to a
            40 gallon reflux still and we didn't know what size column to
            build.  Any ideas or rules of thumb to follow??  We were thinking of
            building a 3 inch column..
            Thanks in advance.

            I can be wrong I must say.
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 3, 2003
              > It has 21.6KW heating elements.

              I hope thats 2x 1.6 kW, not 21.6 kW ?
              If a total of 3.2kW, then yes, 3 inch diameter should be suitable.

              Tony
            • P E
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 3, 2003
                Nope... According to the specs on this steam cooker
                it is 21.6kw total and I think that is spread out
                between 6 heating elements... It is currently 208v 3
                phase but I am going to convert it to single phase so
                I can use it.. When it is done, I will post pics..
                It should be the ultimate still!!! Can't wait to get
                it up and working....
                PJ

                --- "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • peter_vcb <viciousblackout@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 4, 2003
                  you could wire the 6 elements up nicely and have great power contol.
                  i had a 3 inch column and it was a perfect size for scrubbers, any
                  larger and you will have trouble unless you get some copper mesh from
                  the 2 Mikes.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "PJEVolley <pjevolley@y...>"
                  <pjevolley@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                  > <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                  > > > Here's the story... We currently have a 10 gal reflux still
                  > with
                  > > > the reflux column size of 2 inch by 36 inch. We are upgrading
                  > to a
                  > > > 40 gallon reflux still and we didn't know what size column to
                  > > > build. Any ideas or rules of thumb to follow?? We were
                  > thinking of
                  > > > building a 3 inch column..
                  > >
                  > > If you are using the same heat source, then the old column will
                  > still work fine. You only need to make the column wider if you are
                  > going to be using more heat.
                  > >
                  > > Tony
                  >
                  > We are going from a turkey frier propane source to a Groen 208v 40
                  > gal steam cooker. It has 21.6KW heating elements. and heats up to
                  > 270deg with a thermostatic control.
                • nanosleep
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 4, 2003
                    I use 1500 watts on a 2 inch diameter column. This
                    roughly equates to a power density of 477 watts per
                    square inch. If I run 3000 watts the column will flood
                    (954 watts per square inch). I am assuming a larger
                    column can handle a similar power density. In order
                    to handle 21.6Kw of power you'll need about 45 sq.in.
                    of cross sectional area. This equates to about an
                    8 inch diameter column (50.2 sq.in.)!!!!!!!!!
                    You'll need a warehouse of fermenters to keep that
                    beast fed. Also I'm not sure my 'back of the
                    envelope' calculations are appropriate for that
                    large of a column. You may require an even larger
                    column to handle 21.6Kw. I have no experience
                    on that scale of power.

                    I'd recommend using a 3 inch column that is as tall
                    as will fit within your building. You'll be happier
                    with a very tall still. It's much easier to get
                    clean vodkas. Also, it's easier to detune a tall
                    still than it is to improve a short one. You can
                    run with little or no reflux when you want to keep
                    the flavors.
                    You are going to need a method to reduce the power
                    down to a managable level (3kw). Connecting all or
                    part of the elements in series will reduce power.
                    Switching the elements back into a parallel hook
                    up will increase the power output. Having
                    the extra power capacity would be great for 'instant'
                    startup time. However, you'll have to be careful
                    about burning your wash with that much power.

                    -A

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, P E <pjevolley@y...> wrote:
                    > Nope... According to the specs on this steam cooker
                    > it is 21.6kw total and I think that is spread out
                    > between 6 heating elements... It is currently 208v 3
                    > phase but I am going to convert it to single phase so
                    > I can use it.. When it is done, I will post pics..
                    > It should be the ultimate still!!! Can't wait to get
                    > it up and working....
                    > PJ

                  • pjevolley
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 5, 2003
                      Thanks for all the info.. This steam cooker has 6 heating elements
                      totalling 21.6kw. If my math is correct, that is 6, 3600w
                      elements. I have rewired this unit to run single phase (from 3
                      phase) and I wired it to only use 4 of the 6 elements which should
                      bring it down to 14.4kw. This cooker is a 40 gal steam cooker which
                      is kind of like a double boiler, hot water is what cooks the
                      contents. Here is a link to the BEAST.. Let me know what you
                      think.. This is either going to be the ULTIMATE still or a big
                      flop.. But, I have faith that it will be AWESOME!!
                      http://www.groen.com:9097/products/kettles/spec_sheets/floor_mounted_
                      kettles/EE-a.htm
                      Take a look and let me know what you think.. EVERY idea is
                      helpfull!!

                      PJ

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nanosleep" <nanosleep@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > I use 1500 watts on a 2 inch diameter column. This
                      > roughly equates to a power density of 477 watts per
                      > square inch. If I run 3000 watts the column will flood
                      > (954 watts per square inch). I am assuming a larger
                      > column can handle a similar power density. In order
                      > to handle 21.6Kw of power you'll need about 45 sq.in.
                      > of cross sectional area. This equates to about an
                      > 8 inch diameter column (50.2 sq.in.)!!!!!!!!!
                      > You'll need a warehouse of fermenters to keep that
                      > beast fed. Also I'm not sure my 'back of the
                      > envelope' calculations are appropriate for that
                      > large of a column. You may require an even larger
                      > column to handle 21.6Kw. I have no experience
                      > on that scale of power.
                      >
                      > I'd recommend using a 3 inch column that is as tall
                      > as will fit within your building. You'll be happier
                      > with a very tall still. It's much easier to get
                      > clean vodkas. Also, it's easier to detune a tall
                      > still than it is to improve a short one. You can
                      > run with little or no reflux when you want to keep
                      > the flavors.
                      > You are going to need a method to reduce the power
                      > down to a managable level (3kw). Connecting all or
                      > part of the elements in series will reduce power.
                      > Switching the elements back into a parallel hook
                      > up will increase the power output. Having
                      > the extra power capacity would be great for 'instant'
                      > startup time. However, you'll have to be careful
                      > about burning your wash with that much power.
                      >
                      > -A
                      >
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, P E <pjevolley@y...> wrote:
                      > > Nope... According to the specs on this steam cooker
                      > > it is 21.6kw total and I think that is spread out
                      > > between 6 heating elements... It is currently 208v 3
                      > > phase but I am going to convert it to single phase so
                      > > I can use it.. When it is done, I will post pics..
                      > > It should be the ultimate still!!! Can't wait to get
                      > > it up and working....
                      > > PJ

                    • Zoran Vujcic
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 5, 2003
                        What is the price of this unit?

                        wrote:
                        > I use 1500 watts on a 2 inch diameter column.  This
                        > roughly equates to a power density of 477 watts per
                        > square inch.  If I run 3000 watts the column will flood
                        > (954 watts per square inch).  I am assuming a larger
                        > column can handle a similar power density.  In order
                        > to handle 21.6Kw of power you'll need about 45 sq.in.
                        > of cross sectional area.  This equates to about an
                        > 8 inch diameter column (50.2 sq.in.)!!!!!!!!!
                        > You'll need a warehouse of fermenters to keep that
                        > beast fed.  Also I'm not sure my 'back of the
                        > envelope' calculations are appropriate for that
                        > large of a column.  You may require an even larger
                        > column to handle 21.6Kw.  I have no experience
                        > on that scale of power.
                        >
                        > I'd recommend using a 3 inch column that is as tall
                        > as will fit within your building.  You'll be happier
                        > with a very tall still.  It's much easier to get
                        > clean vodkas.  Also, it's easier to detune a tall
                        > still than it is to improve a short one.  You can
                        > run with little or no reflux when you want to keep
                        > the flavors.
                        > You are going to need a method to reduce the power
                        > down to a managable level (3kw).  Connecting all or
                        > part of the elements in series will reduce power.
                        > Switching the elements back into a parallel hook
                        > up will increase the power output.  Having
                        > the extra power capacity would be great for 'instant'
                        > startup time.  However, you'll have to be careful
                        > about burning your wash with that much power.
                        >
                        > -A
                        >
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, P E <pjevolley@y...> wrote:
                        > > Nope...   According to the specs on this steam cooker
                        > > it is 21.6kw total and I think that is spread out
                        > > between 6 heating elements...  It is currently 208v 3
                        > > phase but I am going to convert it to single phase so
                        > > I can use it..  When it is done, I will post pics..
                        > > It should be the ultimate still!!!  Can't wait to get
                        > > it up and working....
                        > > PJ

                      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 5, 2003
                          PJ - I'm with nano on this one. 21kW would be great as a stripping still (pot still setup), but will be a tad too industrial sized to be practical as a pot still. I estimate approx 7 inch diameter required if packed with scrubbers - but thats not practical - would be too difficult to evenly place them, so you'd probably need to go up to say 8-10" and use raschig rings instead. Why not stick with just 3600W and a 3" column for the reflux mode. If you try using all that power in a too-narrow column, all you are going to do is blow all the vapour & reflux straight out the top of it - none of the reflux will get the opportunity to come back down and do its business.

                          ps - trying 21kW in my calculator at HomeDistiller gives some really weird answers. Methinks I may need to remove that page until I can sort it out.

                          Tony
                        • pjevolley
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 5, 2003
                            This is thermostatically controlled and when I rewired it from 3
                            phase to single phase, I only connected 4 of the 6 heating
                            ellements. So, I can heat slow with the thermostat control and
                            should be pretty consistant as the elements heat the liquid that
                            surrounds the pot instead of the elements heating the wash it's
                            self. This should give me a little better results I hope...
                            I think we are going to try a run this weekend if I can get the
                            column refitted to this pot..
                            This cooker costs about $10,000 new!!!!! We picked it up at an
                            auction for $120.00!!!! So, if it doesn't work,,,, EBAY!!!!!

                            <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                            > PJ - I'm with nano on this one. 21kW would be great as a
                            stripping still (pot still setup), but will be a tad too industrial
                            sized to be practical as a pot still. I estimate approx 7 inch
                            diameter required if packed with scrubbers - but thats not
                            practical - would be too difficult to evenly place them, so you'd
                            probably need to go up to say 8-10" and use raschig rings instead.
                            Why not stick with just 3600W and a 3" column for the reflux mode.
                            If you try using all that power in a too-narrow column, all you are
                            going to do is blow all the vapour & reflux straight out the top of
                            it - none of the reflux will get the opportunity to come back down
                            and do its business.

                            > ps - trying 21kW in my calculator at HomeDistiller gives some
                            really weird answers. Methinks I may need to remove that page until
                            I can sort it out.

                            > Tony
                          • pjevolley
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 5, 2003
                              Well, new this unit is about $10,000. We picked it up at an auction
                              for $120.00.. (Yes, that is TEN THOUSAND dollars) I LOVE
                              auctions.. LOLOL

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zoran Vujcic" <zvujcic@v...>

                              Service.
                            • Brandon Lee
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 5, 2003

                                well all i can say is that if it doesn't work-- give me a shot at it-- Groen makes these cookers in my home town and one of my good friends who we do competition cookoff's with is the manager of the fabrication plant here---yes he is correct-- it is the ultimate cooking kettle--they have a gas fired one that is even better but again really pricey-- their training kitchen here is probably the very best equipped u will ever see -- just a questimate on the equipment cost would be well into the six figure range-

                                your brother in the spirits

                                Blueflame456

                                <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                                > PJ - I'm with nano on this one.  21kW would be great as a
                                stripping still (pot still setup), but will be a tad too industrial
                                sized to be practical as a pot still.  I estimate  approx 7 inch
                                diameter required if packed with scrubbers - but thats not
                                practical - would be too difficult to evenly place them, so you'd
                                probably need to go up to say 8-10" and use raschig rings instead.
                                Why not stick with just 3600W and a 3" column for the reflux mode.
                                If you try using all that power in a too-narrow column, all you are
                                going to do is blow all the vapour & reflux straight out the top of
                                it - none of the reflux will get the opportunity to come back down
                                and do its business.

                                > ps - trying 21kW in my calculator at HomeDistiller gives some
                                really weird answers.  Methinks I may need to remove that page until
                                I can sort it out.

                                > Tony

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                              • stillyaakman
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 5, 2003
                                  Here's my two cents
                                  I have a 10 gal. Groen kettle @ 10 kw.208v.3ph. One of the elements
                                  was open so I rewired it as 1ph.parallel @240v. which still comes out
                                  as 10kw. I am going to add a 1/2 barrel keg to the top of it and end
                                  up with 25.5 gal.
                                  The real beauty of the kettle is the control you have of the temp.
                                  the steam jacket is thermostaticly controled and eleminates any
                                  problems you would have with surge boiling. I think it will take a
                                  little tinkering to learn where to set the control for the best power
                                  input.
                                  Another nice feature of the jacketed kettle is protection of the mash
                                  from burning against a hot element.
                                  Really any size column (that wasn't too large) is doable. but larger
                                  will give more volume output per hour.
                                  Dan
                                • pjevolley
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 10, 2003
                                    OK!! Test run was Sat. night.. Here's what happened and my next
                                    question... This cooker is AWESOME!!!! With the thermostatic
                                    control, the wash stayed at a CONSTANT temp.. PERFECT.. I added
                                    about 16 inches to the column which was 36" to start with.. My
                                    QUESTION: The original column was packed with copper scrubber pads
                                    approx the first 16" of the column. With this on a 10gal pot for
                                    cooking (with about 6gal of wash) we would get consistant flow when
                                    the column temp was over 77 degrees C. the temp in the column was
                                    pretty constant considering we were cooking outside on a turkey
                                    frier LP cooker. With the new cooker and the increased column
                                    length, we packed NEW stainless scrubbers about 20" - 24" into the
                                    column. While cooking, the column temp seemed to fluxuate about 1-2
                                    degrees, back and forth and the output was very spuratic.
                                    ANY ideas on the cause? We kinda think maybe the scrubbers are too
                                    dense, causing restricted flow and not allowing the vapor to reach
                                    the top of the column (where the thermometer is) at a constant
                                    rate. ANY IDEAS?????
                                    Thanks, PJ

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stillyaakman"
                                    <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:
                                    > Here's my two cents
                                    > I have a 10 gal. Groen kettle @ 10 kw.208v.3ph. One of the
                                    elements
                                    > was open so I rewired it as 1ph.parallel @240v. which still comes
                                    out
                                    > as 10kw. I am going to add a 1/2 barrel keg to the top of it and
                                    end
                                    > up with 25.5 gal.
                                    > The real beauty of the kettle is the control you have of the temp.
                                    > the steam jacket is thermostaticly controled and eleminates any
                                    > problems you would have with surge boiling. I think it will take a
                                    > little tinkering to learn where to set the control for the best
                                    power
                                    > input.
                                    > Another nice feature of the jacketed kettle is protection of the
                                    mash
                                    > from burning against a hot element.
                                    > Really any size column (that wasn't too large) is doable. but
                                    larger
                                    > will give more volume output per hour.
                                    > Dan
                                  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 10, 2003
                                      Sounds like you've packed the scrubbers too tight. They should be nice and loose - like as loose as just sitting on the table. Even tease them out a little if necessary. I'd also suggest that you pack the entire 52" of the column. Any empty space in there is just doing nothing.

                                      Tony