More on "impossible results?"

  • Snowblind Moose <tonkay1@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
      -Has anyone run their pot-still and had the finished product as high
      as 82%?

      -Has anyones wort tested as high as the mid twenties?

      -Any theories would be appreciated.

      -Thanx!

      S.M.
    • Bryn Tucker
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
        My pot still usually starts out at 78% output and generally runs down at an increasing curve (meaning the % drops faster as the run continues) until about 60-58% when the percentage drops extremely rapidly. This happens when I do stripping runs, and second whisky runs with a start at about 30%.
        If I do a run with the starting percentage above 40% in the boiler (when I'm doing a schnapps or gin run), I usually get a start at 84%.
        I've never had a wort test above 17%.

        Maybe your alcoholmeter is proof, not ABV?
        41% (82 proof) seems like a good number for a pot still run, and 12% (24 proof) is average for wort.
        -Bryn
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
          Thanx for your input Bryn! - but no, my "alchometer" is reading
          percent (actualy it's both, one side % - the other proof). I checked
          it for acuracy by testing some comercially available " 40% Alchool" (
          I live in Canada)and it's within a hair. And, as I said in my first
          post on this subject, I was collecting "heads" at a steady 85.2
          degrees C. According to Mr. Ackland's "Dist. Temp. and Concentration
          Relationship" table, 82% is in the ballpark so to speak.

          The table also indicates that my wort must've been an impossibly high
          ABV. This is what's perplexing me.

          This is the 1st time I've tried the "Prestige Pot Distillers Yeast"
          also, I don't know an acurate sugar content, as I can only guess at
          the content in the berries - and I used a lot of berries. (for more
          info - see my 1st post)

          S.M.

          p.s. I added the "tails" from a previous batch to the wort, but less
          than a litre with a fairly low abv.

        • peter_vcb <viciousblackout@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
            "If I do a run with the starting percentage above 40% in the boiler
            (when I'm doing a schnapps or gin run), I usually get a start at 84%."
            this seems correct to me. on tonys site it says it should come out at
            78% at the start with 40%.
            if you have a large lyne arm you will get more than this. do you cool
            your alcohol to 20C before measuring the %. if it is warm it can
            change the readings dramatically giving a higher % than reality.
            when you do a 17% run what is the overall % of all the distillate
            mixed together? how many litres do you collect?

            Peter

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose

          • Snowblind Moose
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
              Thanks for your interest Peter:

              I should clarify; The average of the "berry brandy" was 73% - it
              STARTED at 82% (the 1st 200 mls. of "hearts").

              I have a lyne arm made from 3/8 copper line. From the boiler it runs
              at a 45 degree angle, upward for about 32 in., then runs down to
              the condensor at a 45 degree angle at for about 36 in. (trying to get
              some "reflux" happening in the lyne arm).

              It is definitely cooled to below 20 degrees C. (I use snow in the
              condensor bucket this time of year). The temp. correction according
              to the instructions on my alchometer is minimal (at a few degrees
              below 20 C.), if anything I'm reading a lower percent than what the
              distalate actually is.

              When I run a "turbo yeast" mash through, I typically get 1st drips
              (heads) at 83 degrees, and I collect "hearts" at averaging around 90
              degrees. From 5 gal. of mash I get just under a gal. (not
              including "tails" that I cut off as soon as I get the aftertaste)of
              about 63 - 65% abv.

              Any further comments will be appreciated, this is definately a higher
              % than I should have (according to my understanding of the
              priciples) - The good news here is that I'm really starting to like
              the "berry brandy" that it produced - so much so that I think I'll
              try to duplicate the results. ( I was considering using "ec 1118" to
              give me a lower % mash - thereby more fruit taste in the distilate)

              S.M.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb