Re: [new_distillers] Brandy vs Schnapps

  • Bryn Tucker
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
      I agree. I think that they are basically the same. True brandy is generally made from wine grapes and aged on oak.
      The difference between fruit brandies and schnapps (and Eaux de vie) seem to be a matter of dilution and packaging. You usually see fruit brandy served at 40 percent, whereas German schnapps tends to be around 50 percent. American fruit brandy is usually neutral grain spirit with natural and artificial flavors, and lots of high fructose corn sugar...
      There may be some difference in the treatment of the fruit during fermentation. Possibly types of yeast, temperature of fermentation. Schnapps is usually fermented cold, much like Lager I'm taken to believe. But, as the man says, I could be wrong. Anyone have some inside info on this?

      -Bryn

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
        Yes, "brandy" is grape spirit aged in oak, whilst "eau de vie" (aka schnapps
        or fruit brandy) is spirit made from fruit.

        Some, like slivovitz (from plums) is light aged in oak, others generally are
        not as the flavours are very delicate.

        True eau de vie is pure fruit spirit with nothing added, but it is very
        expensive... I think it takes about 60 pounds of raspberries to make one
        bottle of raspberry "brandy".

        Hence I cheat and add some sugar to the wash to help the yield without
        detracting from the flavour too much.

        The secret is to collect enough cogeners to ensure the flavour comes across,
        so a pot still is advised here, unlike making vodka when you are just after
        pure spirit.

        Cheers

        Darryl