Brandy vs Schnapps

  • glasses97 <glasses97@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 5:13 PM
      Could somebody please explain the difference between Brandy and
      Schnapps. As near as I can tell they are basically the same thing.

      Thanks//
    • Bryn Tucker
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2 10:48 PM
        I agree. I think that they are basically the same. True brandy is generally made from wine grapes and aged on oak.
        The difference between fruit brandies and schnapps (and Eaux de vie) seem to be a matter of dilution and packaging. You usually see fruit brandy served at 40 percent, whereas German schnapps tends to be around 50 percent. American fruit brandy is usually neutral grain spirit with natural and artificial flavors, and lots of high fructose corn sugar...
        There may be some difference in the treatment of the fruit during fermentation. Possibly types of yeast, temperature of fermentation. Schnapps is usually fermented cold, much like Lager I'm taken to believe. But, as the man says, I could be wrong. Anyone have some inside info on this?

        -Bryn

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3 12:33 AM
          Yes, "brandy" is grape spirit aged in oak, whilst "eau de vie" (aka schnapps
          or fruit brandy) is spirit made from fruit.

          Some, like slivovitz (from plums) is light aged in oak, others generally are
          not as the flavours are very delicate.

          True eau de vie is pure fruit spirit with nothing added, but it is very
          expensive... I think it takes about 60 pounds of raspberries to make one
          bottle of raspberry "brandy".

          Hence I cheat and add some sugar to the wash to help the yield without
          detracting from the flavour too much.

          The secret is to collect enough cogeners to ensure the flavour comes across,
          so a pot still is advised here, unlike making vodka when you are just after
          pure spirit.

          Cheers

          Darryl