humidifier tap-valve kit - To Be Or Not To Be!

  • Bob Bourne
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
      humidifier tap-valve kit

      I've coiled some 3/16 copper and I can't even blow through it. Under air
      pressure it's OK.

      My question is: If I coil 1/4 copper would I need the humidifier tap-valve
      kit. At this stage I'd be happy to waste a little extra water until it's all
      sorted! Or does 1/4 need a humidifier tap-valve kit to?

      Bob Bourne.
    • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
        I don't have any valve on my condenser coil. I hook
        this up to my kitchen faucet and use the faucet to
        control the flow rate. The only valves I use are
        1/4 inch valves to control the amount of distillate
        I take off and the amount returned to the top of the
        column.

        Did you kink the 3/16ths tubing? You should be able
        to blow through it at least a little. Could you blow
        through it before you coiled it? I don't have any
        problems blowing through my condenser made of 1/4 inch
        tubing. I do this when I disassemble the still to
        blow out the remaining water so it doesn't drip all
        over the floor.

        Try hooking the 3/16ths coil up to your water supply.
        See how much flow you can push through it. It
        shouldn't take a lot of water flow to provide enough
        cooling. You might be able to use the 3/16ths and
        avoid spending more money on 1/4 tubing.

        You definitely don't want to run the condenser at
        "wide open". You'll be wasting enough water to
        cool 50 or more stills. Whether it be the kitchen faucet
        or a small brass valve, you'll need some sort of
        control on the water flow.

        -A

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bourne" <bourne@v...>
        wrote:
        > humidifier tap-valve kit
        >
        > I've coiled some 3/16 copper and I can't even blow through it. Under
        air
        > pressure it's OK.
        >
        > My question is: If I coil 1/4 copper would I need the humidifier
        tap-valve
        > kit. At this stage I'd be happy to waste a little extra water until
        it's all
        > sorted! Or does 1/4 need a humidifier tap-valve kit to?
        >
        > Bob Bourne.
      • Bob Bourne
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
          -A

          It may be that the ends are a little burred from cutting at the moment. But
          what you say is what I wanted to here! Thanks for the info.

          Bob.