beer keg cleaning

  • Bob Bourne
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
      I'm looking for the simplest way to use a 45 litre beer keg as a boiler -
      without cutting holes in it and using gas under it.

      Reima's Still (Distillers Files - Photos - attachment).

      My question is: Are there any problems cleaning it, filling it, emptying it
      etc.

      Bob Bourne.
    • Reima
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
        Bob, if you are using it for sugar washes, just empty it and hose-rinse it.
        Besides heater elements screw out after disconnecting cables, but I have
        not taken mine out so far. Shine at torch in and it looks clean as a whistle.
        Reima

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
          Bob, if you are using it for sugar washes, just empty it and hose-rinse it.
          Besides heater elements screw out after disconnecting cables, but I have
          not taken mine out so far. Shine at torch in and it looks clean as a
          whistle.
          Reima

          Thanks Reima,

          That centre bit on a keg, it just screws out? I've got one coming but I
          haven't got my hands on it yet!

          And the curtain around the top with the handles built in, did you take that
          off yours?

          Nice job by the way if I may say so, very useful.

          Bob.
        • Reima
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
            Yes Bob, Press down the rubber plug first to relieve pressure, then a large pipe wrench will screw it out.
            No, somebody had used it as a mooring buoy or float something???

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
              Yes Bob, Press down the rubber plug first to relieve pressure, then a large
              pipe wrench will screw it out.
              No, somebody had used it as a mooring buoy or float something???
              Reima

              Ha! The versatile beer keg!
            • BOKAKOB
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003

                you betcha!!! stop skimmin' on labor! do it RIGHT

                 Bob Bourne <bourne@...> wrote:

                I'm looking for the simplest way to use a 45 litre beer keg as a boiler -
                without cutting holes in it and using gas under it.

                Reima's Still (Distillers Files - Photos - attachment).

                My question is: Are there any problems cleaning it, filling it, emptying it
                etc.

                Bob Bourne.

                > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=Keg fitting.jpg

                I can be wrong I must say.
                Cheers, Alex...

                Do you Yahoo!?