easy pot still

  • zman102_98203@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
      Hello group,
      I currently have a destilab still. I use this to further distill 40%
      commercial vodka to about 85-90%, and my results so far have been
      good. I do this because "Everclear" type grain spirits are not
      commercially available where I live. I am currently attempting to
      create a herbal based liqueur along the lines of an "absinthe." All
      my study seems to indicate a reflux still will strip away most of the
      herbal content and that I should use a "pot" type still to distill
      the liquid after the herbs macerate. Are there any pot stills
      available commercially? Or, are there any plans to build one out
      there. Sorry for being so wordy.
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
        Buy a small pressure cooker and attach some copper tubing to it. Coil the
        copper tubing into a coil and set this in a bucket. If you are planning on
        making absinthe, the still needs to be steam heated to prevent the herbs in
        the still from sticking and scorching. This is as easy as sitting the
        pressure cooker in a large pot and using sticks, etc, to hold the pressure
        cooker off of the bottom of the pot. Then, just fill the pot with water, and
        heat it up- this way, no direct heat contacts the potstill and burns the
        stuff inside.
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
          Zman,

          Most pot stills are built "adhoc" from the materials at hand; this is why there are so few plans for them.
          For some ideas, see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/designs.htm#make_pot (see Walters photos)

          Tony
        • Matt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
            On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 11:10:14PM -0000, zman102_98203@... wrote:
            > Hello group,
            > I currently have a destilab still. I use this to further distill 40%
            > commercial vodka to about 85-90%, and my results so far have been
            > good. I do this because "Everclear" type grain spirits are not

            zman, your email address is either bogus or broken. Could you contact me
            directly by email? thanks!
            -matt

            Matthew @ psibercom
          • zman102_98203@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
              --- In new_distillers@y..., Matt <spore@p...> wrote:
              > On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 11:10:14PM -0000, zman102_98203@y... wrote:
              > > Hello group,
              > > I currently have a destilab still. I use this to further distill
              40%
              > > commercial vodka to about 85-90%, and my results so far have been
              > > good. I do this because "Everclear" type grain spirits are not
              >
              > zman, your email address is either bogus or broken. Could you
              contact me
              > directly by email? thanks!
              > -matt
              > Matt,
              Sorry about that. My yahoo email account is now reset. Please respond
              to my original post. I look forward to hearing from you.
              Marco
              > --
              -------
              > Matthew @
              psibercom
              > psibercom.org: doing pretty much nothing for the net since
              1994!
            • zman102_98203@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
                --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
                > Buy a small pressure cooker and attach some copper tubing to it.
                Coil the
                > copper tubing into a coil and set this in a bucket. If you are
                planning on
                > making absinthe, the still needs to be steam heated to prevent the
                herbs in
                > the still from sticking and scorching. This is as easy as sitting
                the
                > pressure cooker in a large pot and using sticks, etc, to hold the
                pressure
                > cooker off of the bottom of the pot. Then, just fill the pot with
                water, and
                > heat it up- this way, no direct heat contacts the potstill and
                burns the
                > stuff inside.

                Do I still need to do the double boiler method if I strain out the
                herbal contents prior to distilling? Should it be distilled with all
                the herbs in the pot?
                Thanks.
              • zman102_98203@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
                  --- In new_distillers@y..., Matt <spore@p...> wrote:
                  > On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 11:10:14PM -0000, zman102_98203@y... wrote:
                  > > Hello group,
                  > > I currently have a destilab still. I use this to further distill
                  40%
                  > > commercial vodka to about 85-90%, and my results so far have been
                  > > good. I do this because "Everclear" type grain spirits are not
                  >
                  > zman, your email address is either bogus or broken. Could you
                  contact me
                  > directly by email? thanks!
                  > -matt
                  > Matt,,
                  Sorry about that. My email is now active. Please email me what you
                  have to say, I'm very interested in hearing from you.
                  Marco
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
                    The traditional method is to distill with all of the herbs in the still. If
                    you filter them out, then a hot water bath is not needed. This may result in
                    a loss of flavor, though.