Re: [new_distillers] Re: Freezing

  • David Reid
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
      Ron,
      Yes it does work. It is relatively easy to extract by taking a PET
      1.5 or 2 litre coke bottle, filling and freezing, cutting some slits in the
      side of the bottle 2/3 of the way up extending to the 3/4 level (basically
      at the shoulder point), replacing the cap with a cap and shaft, fitting the
      shaft to an electric drill, and then spinning the bottle inside a drum or
      barrel using centrifugal force to spin the alcohol out. Because alcohol has
      a lower freezing point than water it tends to stay in the top 1/3 and remain
      liquid when the water has frozen and turned to ice. The trick is not to have
      the wash too frozen or the alcohol tends to freeze to some degree. It also
      has more difficulty get through thicker ice so you obviously dont want it
      like a solid ice block but rather soft tending more towards mushy than
      solid. Personally it still contains all your other alcohols so drinking it
      is not 100% safe and distillation is still advisable to remove your fusels
      etc and also generally to concentrate your ethanol.
      B.r., David