RE: [new_distillers] Freezing

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2 3:01 PM
      Ron,

      I've got some information on Freezing at :
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/notstill.htm#freeze

      Jack's also recently added a recipe, which uses freezing a beer, then
      distilling to produce a Scotch :
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/wash-grain.htm#wash-grain.htm#sc
      otch

      Tony
    • David Reid
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2 3:59 PM
        Ron,
        Yes it does work. It is relatively easy to extract by taking a PET
        1.5 or 2 litre coke bottle, filling and freezing, cutting some slits in the
        side of the bottle 2/3 of the way up extending to the 3/4 level (basically
        at the shoulder point), replacing the cap with a cap and shaft, fitting the
        shaft to an electric drill, and then spinning the bottle inside a drum or
        barrel using centrifugal force to spin the alcohol out. Because alcohol has
        a lower freezing point than water it tends to stay in the top 1/3 and remain
        liquid when the water has frozen and turned to ice. The trick is not to have
        the wash too frozen or the alcohol tends to freeze to some degree. It also
        has more difficulty get through thicker ice so you obviously dont want it
        like a solid ice block but rather soft tending more towards mushy than
        solid. Personally it still contains all your other alcohols so drinking it
        is not 100% safe and distillation is still advisable to remove your fusels
        etc and also generally to concentrate your ethanol.
        B.r., David