Re: Freezing

  • idi72@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
      Hi, Ron...
      I´ve heard about it to, and my grandpa said they used to freeze mash
      in the "good ol´ days". I´ve tried it once or twice, and all i came
      up with was a half-freezed mess. It looked like small freezed needles
      sustained in a thick liquid.
      Maybe it could work if You tried to filter the thick froozen stuff
      through a fine meshed? cloth, while keeping the temperature constant
      i.e. in the freezer, and collect the liquid. I´ve never tried it, but
      i´t may work.
      Skål (Swedish for cheers) / Mike

      --- In new_distillers@y..., "ronald miller sr" <miller680@h...> wrote:
      > When I was a child I heard a conversation about putting a beer in
      the freezer. They said they would freeze the beer and the alcohol
      would go to the center of the bottle and would not freeze. Is this
      true and if so could a more pure alcohol be derived by freezing the
      disstilate to remove the water. I am reading about all of these
      different methods of dehyration of ethanol and was wondering if this
      would work or is it an old wives tale
      > Thanks,
      > Ron Miller
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
        Ron,

        I've got some information on Freezing at :
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/notstill.htm#freeze

        Jack's also recently added a recipe, which uses freezing a beer, then
        distilling to produce a Scotch :
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/wash-grain.htm#wash-grain.htm#sc
        otch

        Tony
      • David Reid
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
          Ron,
          Yes it does work. It is relatively easy to extract by taking a PET
          1.5 or 2 litre coke bottle, filling and freezing, cutting some slits in the
          side of the bottle 2/3 of the way up extending to the 3/4 level (basically
          at the shoulder point), replacing the cap with a cap and shaft, fitting the
          shaft to an electric drill, and then spinning the bottle inside a drum or
          barrel using centrifugal force to spin the alcohol out. Because alcohol has
          a lower freezing point than water it tends to stay in the top 1/3 and remain
          liquid when the water has frozen and turned to ice. The trick is not to have
          the wash too frozen or the alcohol tends to freeze to some degree. It also
          has more difficulty get through thicker ice so you obviously dont want it
          like a solid ice block but rather soft tending more towards mushy than
          solid. Personally it still contains all your other alcohols so drinking it
          is not 100% safe and distillation is still advisable to remove your fusels
          etc and also generally to concentrate your ethanol.
          B.r., David