Freezing

  • ronald miller sr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
      When I was a child I heard a conversation about putting a beer in the freezer. They said they would freeze the beer and the alcohol would go to the center of the bottle and would not freeze. Is this true and if so could a more pure alcohol be derived by freezing the disstilate to remove the water. I am reading about all of these different methods of dehyration of ethanol and was wondering if this would work or is it an old wives tale
      Thanks,
      Ron Miller
    • idi72@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
        Hi, Ron...
        I´ve heard about it to, and my grandpa said they used to freeze mash
        in the "good ol´ days". I´ve tried it once or twice, and all i came
        up with was a half-freezed mess. It looked like small freezed needles
        sustained in a thick liquid.
        Maybe it could work if You tried to filter the thick froozen stuff
        through a fine meshed? cloth, while keeping the temperature constant
        i.e. in the freezer, and collect the liquid. I´ve never tried it, but
        i´t may work.
        Skål (Swedish for cheers) / Mike

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "ronald miller sr" <miller680@h...> wrote:
        > When I was a child I heard a conversation about putting a beer in
        the freezer. They said they would freeze the beer and the alcohol
        would go to the center of the bottle and would not freeze. Is this
        true and if so could a more pure alcohol be derived by freezing the
        disstilate to remove the water. I am reading about all of these
        different methods of dehyration of ethanol and was wondering if this
        would work or is it an old wives tale
        > Thanks,
        > Ron Miller
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
          Ron,

          I've got some information on Freezing at :
          http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/notstill.htm#freeze

          Jack's also recently added a recipe, which uses freezing a beer, then
          distilling to produce a Scotch :
          http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/wash-grain.htm#wash-grain.htm#sc
          otch

          Tony
        • David Reid
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
            Ron,
            Yes it does work. It is relatively easy to extract by taking a PET
            1.5 or 2 litre coke bottle, filling and freezing, cutting some slits in the
            side of the bottle 2/3 of the way up extending to the 3/4 level (basically
            at the shoulder point), replacing the cap with a cap and shaft, fitting the
            shaft to an electric drill, and then spinning the bottle inside a drum or
            barrel using centrifugal force to spin the alcohol out. Because alcohol has
            a lower freezing point than water it tends to stay in the top 1/3 and remain
            liquid when the water has frozen and turned to ice. The trick is not to have
            the wash too frozen or the alcohol tends to freeze to some degree. It also
            has more difficulty get through thicker ice so you obviously dont want it
            like a solid ice block but rather soft tending more towards mushy than
            solid. Personally it still contains all your other alcohols so drinking it
            is not 100% safe and distillation is still advisable to remove your fusels
            etc and also generally to concentrate your ethanol.
            B.r., David