Re: [new_distillers] 'Powdered sugar candy'??

  • booger471@email.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2001
      Lynne wrote:

      >Reference to an american 'substitutes' cooking site tells me powdered
      >sugar=confectioners' sugar=what kiwis and aussies know as icing sugar,
      >which doesn't sound quite right to me. I suspect it's just castor sugar,
      >but the addition of the word 'candy' has thrown me a bit. Any clues out
      >there?

      I'm guessing that it is very similar to icing sugar (i.e. very fine
      powdered), except that icing sugar contains corn starch to keep it
      free-running. I would think that adding cornstarch to a liqueur would be
      a bad idea.

      An alternative might be fruit powdered sugar, also known as instant
      dissolving. It's just plain refined table sugar (no cornstarch), but its
      consistency is between that of table sugar and icing sugar.

      Booger
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
        On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 04:20:20AM +1000, janpam ooms wrote:
        > Hi Lynne,
        > Keep up the good work with those liqueur recipes,i enjoy trying them
        > out,being a liqueur freak.I have seen an old reprint called DRINKS LIKE
        > GRANDAD USED TO MAKE it was advertised many years ago in a US magazine.Does
        > any distillers in the US know anything about this book?
        > Best Regards Jan.

        I believe this was a book by Kurt Saxon (the guy who wrote the Poor Man
        James Bond books) and if I recall correctly, was quite a large print.
        Almost the size of getting a bound newspaper archive book from the
        archives section of your library. He used to be published by Loompanics
        but I doubt it's still in print. Let us know if you discover anything
        else about it....
        -matt

        Matthew @ psibercom
      • Brian Bashford
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
          Hi,
            The book is "Granddads Wonderful Book Of Chemistry" and has recently been reprinted. It's available from Atlan Formularies and I think the web-site is ...
                  www.kurtsaxon.com

                   Brian B.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
            OOPS.. Ignore the address below, it's ...
                     www.survivalplus.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
              On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 10:13:48PM +0100, Brian Bashford wrote:
              > Hi,
              > The book is "Granddads Wonderful Book Of Chemistry" and has recently been reprinted. It's available from Atlan Formularies and I think the web-site is ...

              hmm looking at the summary of that book it seems completely different from
              the one i saw years ago. It had a still description, and reprints of many
              pre-copyright and expired copyright drinks recipes and soda fountain lore.

              Matthew @ psibercom
            • Brian Bashford
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
                I think it is the same book, there are several still designs in the Scientific American section and the spirits / licquer etc. recipes are part of Dicks Encyclopaedia (pages 221 to 370) I have a copy in my hand as I write.

                           Brian.