Re: temp readings

  • blueflame456@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2001
      --- In new_distillers@y..., blueflame456@y... wrote:
      > it's quite confusing and a lot of back and forth trying to figure
      out
      > the difference between F scale and C scale yes the difference is
      > degree inF-32x.555 but does anyone have this figured out in F scale
      > so there has to be no conversions -- this cajun can only read in F.
      > scale--this will be my first attempt at this and don't want to mess
      up- also plan to use a de-relfuxed reflux still to capture the flavor
      from the corn mash mix i have brewed up -- my question is do all the
      same temp. ranges apply

      > thanks
      > Mark
    • OzBrickie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2001
        C scale is  base 10
        like all metric  so much easier
        the only way to convert is using the formula you refer to in your email
        One day the yanks will see the light and move into the real world. LOL
        sorry couldnt resist

        Oz
        it's quite confusing and a lot of back and forth trying to figure out
        the difference between F scale and C scale yes the difference is
        degree inF-32x.555 but does anyone have this figured out in F scale
        so there has to be no conversions -- this cajun can only read in F.
        scale

        thanks
        Mark

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2001
          Mark,

          I actually had the opposite problem when I started - all the info I found
          was in F, and I only understand degrees C ! In the end I would just print
          out the useful pages, then write the converted numbers over the top.

          I've written a wee calculator to help do the conversions :
          http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/units.htm . You should be able to
          "right-click" on the page and save it to your on computer (or just download
          the whole site : http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/download.htm for
          off-line reading)

          Which temperatures/ranges in particular did you want converting over ?
          Stuff like when to start/finish, etc ?

          Here's some of them ....

          Boiling point of PURE ethanol = 172 F
          Boiling point of PURE water = 212 F

          Generally finish your distilling run by 198-201 F

          If you're trying for the high-purity rocket fuel, then aim to keep your
          reflux high enough to give vapour temperatures down around 173.1 F

          Tony
        • al lewis
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2001
            Hi If you go to www.esbconsult.com.au/
            click on DOWNLOADS click on ESB UNIT CONVERSION UTILITY
            you will be able to download free a very useful program that will convert
            deg c > deg f or the other way about from entering a few you could make a
            graph if need be to look at. This program also converts al kinds of other
            interesting things hope this is of help. arthue