temp readings

  • blueflame456@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2001
      it's quite confusing and a lot of back and forth trying to figure out
      the difference between F scale and C scale yes the difference is
      degree inF-32x.555 but does anyone have this figured out in F scale
      so there has to be no conversions -- this cajun can only read in F.
      scale

      thanks
      Mark
    • blueflame456@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2001
        --- In new_distillers@y..., blueflame456@y... wrote:
        > it's quite confusing and a lot of back and forth trying to figure
        out
        > the difference between F scale and C scale yes the difference is
        > degree inF-32x.555 but does anyone have this figured out in F scale
        > so there has to be no conversions -- this cajun can only read in F.
        > scale--this will be my first attempt at this and don't want to mess
        up- also plan to use a de-relfuxed reflux still to capture the flavor
        from the corn mash mix i have brewed up -- my question is do all the
        same temp. ranges apply

        > thanks
        > Mark
      • OzBrickie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2001
          C scale is  base 10
          like all metric  so much easier
          the only way to convert is using the formula you refer to in your email
          One day the yanks will see the light and move into the real world. LOL
          sorry couldnt resist

          Oz
          it's quite confusing and a lot of back and forth trying to figure out
          the difference between F scale and C scale yes the difference is
          degree inF-32x.555 but does anyone have this figured out in F scale
          so there has to be no conversions -- this cajun can only read in F.
          scale

          thanks
          Mark

        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2001
            Mark,

            I actually had the opposite problem when I started - all the info I found
            was in F, and I only understand degrees C ! In the end I would just print
            out the useful pages, then write the converted numbers over the top.

            I've written a wee calculator to help do the conversions :
            http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/units.htm . You should be able to
            "right-click" on the page and save it to your on computer (or just download
            the whole site : http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/download.htm for
            off-line reading)

            Which temperatures/ranges in particular did you want converting over ?
            Stuff like when to start/finish, etc ?

            Here's some of them ....

            Boiling point of PURE ethanol = 172 F
            Boiling point of PURE water = 212 F

            Generally finish your distilling run by 198-201 F

            If you're trying for the high-purity rocket fuel, then aim to keep your
            reflux high enough to give vapour temperatures down around 173.1 F

            Tony
          • al lewis
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2001
              Hi If you go to www.esbconsult.com.au/
              click on DOWNLOADS click on ESB UNIT CONVERSION UTILITY
              you will be able to download free a very useful program that will convert
              deg c > deg f or the other way about from entering a few you could make a
              graph if need be to look at. This program also converts al kinds of other
              interesting things hope this is of help. arthue