Re: [new_distillers] produce ethanol

  • Darryl Ward
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
      Hi there

      I don't drive, so I only produce ethanol for drinking.

      The yeast is what turns your sugars into alcohol, (whether from sugar, corn
      or whatever base you use), and you use the still to distill, or separate the
      ethanol out of the original mixture, or "wash".

      With a "reflux still", I understand that you can easily obtain a distillate
      that is 96% alcohol, and I understand that this can be used as-is for fuel,
      subject to correct engine adjustments.

      If you denature it, (ie make it unsuitable for drinking by the addition of a
      little petrol etc), this MAY possibly make it legal in those areas where
      home-distillation is illegal... but check your local laws (discretely of
      course).

      I also presume that you will not need to do the carbon filtering and other
      purification processes that many distillers-from-drinking use.

      However, I am sure there will be someone out there with more practical
      experience of distilling alcohols for fuel than I do.

      Cheers

      Darryl