produce ethanol

  • packandship2002 <packandship2002@yahoo.c
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
      Hi there,

      Thanks for the info. I wanted to produce ethanol as a fuel, as I
      heard it burns best, while I was at it, I wanted to produce about 3
      gallons for drinking. I am really not a drinker, however, I want to
      experiment. Any suggestions. I really don't understand why I need to
      use yeast. It looks like yeast is used for fermenation of about 1
      day, however, the still should produce ethanol in about 8 hours, as I
      read about the turbo yeasts it looks like it's used for beer instead.
      Can you help me out.

      Thanks
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
        packandship2002 wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] produce ethanol

        Hi there,

        Thanks for the info. I wanted to produce ethanol as a fuel, as I heard it burns best, while I was at it, I wanted to produce about 3 gallons for drinking. I am really not a drinker, however, I want to experiment. Any suggestions. I really don't understand why I need to use yeast. It looks like yeast is used for fermenation of about 1 day, however, the still should produce ethanol in about 8 hours, as I read about the turbo yeasts it looks like it's used for beer instead.
        Can you help me out.
        ==============================
        Burns best?  Compared with what I wonder?  Hotrodders add methanol to gasoline for high performance.  Clean Green folks like hydrogen as it produces only water as a byproduct. It is claimed that some engines can run on peanut butter (True!  However, it was never clear whether they ran best on smooth or crunchy)

        Why use yeast?  To produce ethanol.  A still "produces" no ethanol at all ... it simply separates out ethanol from liquids containing it.

        I would love to find a yeast that works through a ferment in just one day!  Even the "24 hour" turbo mixes often take 3 days to really complete the job... if you are lucky.

        The time that a still needs to separate out ethanol depends on how much you are processing, how big your still is, and how fast you run it.

        "Beer" is the term used by some distillers to describe the relatively weak alcohol mix they get after fermentation, and which they then process to extract the ethanol.

        Regulations concerning production/processing of ethanol are severe, no matter what country you live in.  In New Zealand, we may distil ethanol without a licence, but for personal use only.  Sell it, and we are in deep trouble!  In some parts of the world, not only are you fined and your still confiscated if you use it, but you are thrown into prison and your house confiscated as well!  Serious trouble!!!  The chances are that you live in a country or state where a license is required before you even think of doing what you propose, so please heed the good advice that has been given by others to observe the law and abide by it.  On this forum we discuss distillation methods because we find it an interesting topic.  Discussion should not be confused with incitement to break the law, and your proposal to deal to 100 gallon batches naturally prompts questions concerning how you might approach this both technically and legally, not to mention why you want to do that.

        For my part, I strongly urge you to first learn more about both the production of ethanol and how it can be processed, plus all the legal aspects as they affect you where you live.  Whether or not you subsequently decide that you would like to do this yourself, it is only sensible to know what you are doing.  With the greatest respect, it appears that you need to learn a bit more about the subject before embarking on such an ambitious project, and 100 gallon batches is impressive!  You have come to the right place to learn, which is a great start, and if you browse through the archives and ask questions, then you will soon be in a position to make an informed decision.  You will find us to be a friendly lot, and more than ready to impart knowledge and advice.

        All the best,
        Mike N

      • Darryl Ward
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
          Hi there

          I don't drive, so I only produce ethanol for drinking.

          The yeast is what turns your sugars into alcohol, (whether from sugar, corn
          or whatever base you use), and you use the still to distill, or separate the
          ethanol out of the original mixture, or "wash".

          With a "reflux still", I understand that you can easily obtain a distillate
          that is 96% alcohol, and I understand that this can be used as-is for fuel,
          subject to correct engine adjustments.

          If you denature it, (ie make it unsuitable for drinking by the addition of a
          little petrol etc), this MAY possibly make it legal in those areas where
          home-distillation is illegal... but check your local laws (discretely of
          course).

          I also presume that you will not need to do the carbon filtering and other
          purification processes that many distillers-from-drinking use.

          However, I am sure there will be someone out there with more practical
          experience of distilling alcohols for fuel than I do.

          Cheers

          Darryl