'Powdered sugar candy'??

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2001
      I've been reading through an old 'home cookery' book which belonged to my
      grandmother, and which I'm guessing was published in the 20's or 30's
      (unfortunately the cover and first couple of pages are missing). In the
      section prior to the one which includes such useful information as how to
      make 'a good hairwash' (vaseline, castor oil and overproof rum!), a simple
      potion for curing dysentery, a dressing for dog mange, etc, there's a
      'Cocktails, Liqueurs, etc' section. It has a couple of recipes for
      'liqueurs' which call for "powdered sugar candy". (I've included one below
      for those of you who like to experiment a bit; and when I get time will put
      some of the others up on a website for the simply curious or wildly
      adventurous to have a look at - they include Sloe Gin, Milk Punch (made
      with rum), Van der Hun (sic), Ginger Wine (made with brandy).)

      Reference to an american 'substitutes' cooking site tells me powdered
      sugar=confectioners' sugar=what kiwis and aussies know as icing sugar,
      which doesn't sound quite right to me. I suspect it's just castor sugar,
      but the addition of the word 'candy' has thrown me a bit. Any clues out
      there?

      "Orange Gin (or Brandy):
      3 bottles gin or brandy
      the peel of 6 Seville oranges and 6 limes
      2 lbs loaf sugar (or powdered sugar candy is better)
      Peel the oranges and limes very finely, put with gin and sugar into a large
      jar, shake every day for 2 weeks, then bottle and keep for a month at least
      before using. If 6 cloves and 6 orange blossoms are added it is like
      'Grand Marnia' (sic). "

      There's also this one for Orange Liqueur: 1 bottle brandy, 1 lb loaf
      sugar, 1 stick vanilla, 1 large orange stuck with 3 cloves; stir well till
      sugar is dissolved then leave in a closely covered jar for 6 weeks, shaking
      well every day; bottle and seal tightly.

      Cheers,
      Lynne

      PS. If anyone wants the dysentery cure or dog mange remedy, email me
      direct ;)
    • janpam ooms
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2001
        Hi Lynne,
        Keep up the good work with those liqueur recipes,i enjoy trying them
        out,being a liqueur freak.I have seen an old reprint called DRINKS LIKE
        GRANDAD USED TO MAKE it was advertised many years ago in a US magazine.Does
        any distillers in the US know anything about this book?
        Best Regards Jan.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2001
          Lynne wrote:

          >Reference to an american 'substitutes' cooking site tells me powdered
          >sugar=confectioners' sugar=what kiwis and aussies know as icing sugar,
          >which doesn't sound quite right to me. I suspect it's just castor sugar,
          >but the addition of the word 'candy' has thrown me a bit. Any clues out
          >there?

          I'm guessing that it is very similar to icing sugar (i.e. very fine
          powdered), except that icing sugar contains corn starch to keep it
          free-running. I would think that adding cornstarch to a liqueur would be
          a bad idea.

          An alternative might be fruit powdered sugar, also known as instant
          dissolving. It's just plain refined table sugar (no cornstarch), but its
          consistency is between that of table sugar and icing sugar.

          Booger
        • Matt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
            On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 04:20:20AM +1000, janpam ooms wrote:
            > Hi Lynne,
            > Keep up the good work with those liqueur recipes,i enjoy trying them
            > out,being a liqueur freak.I have seen an old reprint called DRINKS LIKE
            > GRANDAD USED TO MAKE it was advertised many years ago in a US magazine.Does
            > any distillers in the US know anything about this book?
            > Best Regards Jan.

            I believe this was a book by Kurt Saxon (the guy who wrote the Poor Man
            James Bond books) and if I recall correctly, was quite a large print.
            Almost the size of getting a bound newspaper archive book from the
            archives section of your library. He used to be published by Loompanics
            but I doubt it's still in print. Let us know if you discover anything
            else about it....
            -matt

            Matthew @ psibercom
          • Brian Bashford
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
              Hi,
                The book is "Granddads Wonderful Book Of Chemistry" and has recently been reprinted. It's available from Atlan Formularies and I think the web-site is ...
                      www.kurtsaxon.com

                       Brian B.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
                OOPS.. Ignore the address below, it's ...
                         www.survivalplus.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
                  On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 10:13:48PM +0100, Brian Bashford wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  > The book is "Granddads Wonderful Book Of Chemistry" and has recently been reprinted. It's available from Atlan Formularies and I think the web-site is ...

                  hmm looking at the summary of that book it seems completely different from
                  the one i saw years ago. It had a still description, and reprints of many
                  pre-copyright and expired copyright drinks recipes and soda fountain lore.

                  Matthew @ psibercom
                • Brian Bashford
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
                    I think it is the same book, there are several still designs in the Scientific American section and the spirits / licquer etc. recipes are part of Dicks Encyclopaedia (pages 221 to 370) I have a copy in my hand as I write.

                               Brian.