Jack Daniels

  • jason
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
      Hi all im from australia and am fairly new to distiulling

      Can anyone suggest how i might come up with something that tastes like
      JD,(ie flavor base + and other additives)

      I have a reflux still,
    • Brian Rowe
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
        Start off with 96% pure ethanol - dilute down to 43%

        for 1125 of JD add to the ethanol 35 grams of "Soakers" JD Bourbon Chips.
        Packet says leave for 7-21 days but the longer the better - excellent after
        2 months

        Other option is try the various bourbon essences and oak flavourings.
        Experiment til you get one that you like.
        My favourite Spirits Unlimited "Smokey Bourbon" with 5ml of American Oak
        flavouring. Advantage of this method practically no aging required.

        Most homebrew shops inAustralia have a wide variety of essences from
        different manufacturers

        > Hi all im from australia and am fairly new to distiulling
        >
        > Can anyone suggest how i might come up with something that tastes like
        > JD,(ie flavor base + and other additives)
        >
        > I have a reflux still,

      • jason

          > Hi all im from australia and am fairly new to distiulling
          >
          > Can anyone suggest how i might come up with something that tastes like
          > JD,(ie flavor base + and other additives)
          >
          >   I have a reflux still,

        • Brian Rowe
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
            I bought mine at Narre Warren Brew supplies in Melbourne. The owner is Mark
            give him a call
            > Hi all im from australia and am fairly new to distiulling
            >
            > Can anyone suggest how i might come up with something that tastes like
            > JD,(ie flavor base + and other additives)
            >
            > I have a reflux still,

          • dave hayward
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003

              here is a recipe that i was given for JD have not tried it as yet

              Still Spirits is used

              Classic American Bourbon,Kentucky Bourbon,Rye Whiskey to make up to 55mls

              instead of kentucky you might consider using smokey malt whiskey as i said i have not tried as yet

              regards dave

               jason <jtlemprierejones@...> wrote:

              Hi all im from australia and am fairly new to distiulling

              Can anyone suggest how i might come up with something that tastes like
              JD,(ie flavor base + and other additives)

                I have a reflux still,

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • dave hayward

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                  Jason - for your info, i'm no expert on Bourbon, but I have recently returned from Perth where we stayed over christmas and of all things took a bucket of 40% over with me.  There, I went to the local brew shop, and the fellow with me - an AVID JD drinker for many many years spotted a black box - Samuel Willards Bourbon.  Well in a nutshel - he went ape over it.... only problem now is working out how I can send him a bucket of hooch over west for him to mix it up himself!  Made some enq on the net and it's readily available..... check it out here: http://www.uq.net.au/homebrew/spirit_prices.htm
                  I don't think you'll be dissappointed.  Incidentally, he described it not as a direct JD copy, but a much nicer drink!
                • Michael <god@perthmail.com>
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                    Hi Jason. I know you were asking about flavour bases, but FYI
                    anyway, John Vandermeulen has previously posted the mash bills for
                    many whiskeys, including JD's.

                    Jack Daniels 80% 8% 6-row 12% rye include 24% backset; collect from
                    75% to 55%; try sweeten with maple syrup to mimick the sweetness from
                    the "charcoal mellowing" process. Mature on heavy char American oak,
                    at no stronger than 65%abv

                    Personally I recommend using both the flavour base and toasted oak
                    chips to get the best results out of flavouring a neutral spirit.