Re: [new_distillers] Re: Liquer Base

  • dave hayward
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003

      ok i use about 100mls for dark Liq.'s and 50ml for the most of them

      sometimes i add 50ml to 2100mls of Alc of spirit just to smooth it out like Bourbon or Scotch

      regards dave

      Australia

       "Dene Oehme <waterline@...>" <waterline@...> wrote:

      > The Glucose as i use it is to thicken liquerers and not
      > used as a base.

      Yea, I realise that.  I was just calling it what I'd heard it reffered
      to as.  Do you feel like sharing some other info like how much you use
      per quantity of alcohol etc and any other usage tips like dilution
      etc??

      Dene

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • jason
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
        Hi all im from australia and am fairly new to distiulling

        Can anyone suggest how i might come up with something that tastes like
        JD,(ie flavor base + and other additives)

        I have a reflux still,
      • Brian Rowe
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
          Start off with 96% pure ethanol - dilute down to 43%

          for 1125 of JD add to the ethanol 35 grams of "Soakers" JD Bourbon Chips.
          Packet says leave for 7-21 days but the longer the better - excellent after
          2 months

          Other option is try the various bourbon essences and oak flavourings.
          Experiment til you get one that you like.
          My favourite Spirits Unlimited "Smokey Bourbon" with 5ml of American Oak
          flavouring. Advantage of this method practically no aging required.

          Most homebrew shops inAustralia have a wide variety of essences from
          different manufacturers

          > Hi all im from australia and am fairly new to distiulling
          >
          > Can anyone suggest how i might come up with something that tastes like
          > JD,(ie flavor base + and other additives)
          >
          > I have a reflux still,

        • jason

            > Hi all im from australia and am fairly new to distiulling
            >
            > Can anyone suggest how i might come up with something that tastes like
            > JD,(ie flavor base + and other additives)
            >
            >   I have a reflux still,

          • Brian Rowe
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
              I bought mine at Narre Warren Brew supplies in Melbourne. The owner is Mark
              give him a call
              > Hi all im from australia and am fairly new to distiulling
              >
              > Can anyone suggest how i might come up with something that tastes like
              > JD,(ie flavor base + and other additives)
              >
              > I have a reflux still,

            • dave hayward
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003

                here is a recipe that i was given for JD have not tried it as yet

                Still Spirits is used

                Classic American Bourbon,Kentucky Bourbon,Rye Whiskey to make up to 55mls

                instead of kentucky you might consider using smokey malt whiskey as i said i have not tried as yet

                regards dave

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                    Jason - for your info, i'm no expert on Bourbon, but I have recently returned from Perth where we stayed over christmas and of all things took a bucket of 40% over with me.  There, I went to the local brew shop, and the fellow with me - an AVID JD drinker for many many years spotted a black box - Samuel Willards Bourbon.  Well in a nutshel - he went ape over it.... only problem now is working out how I can send him a bucket of hooch over west for him to mix it up himself!  Made some enq on the net and it's readily available..... check it out here: http://www.uq.net.au/homebrew/spirit_prices.htm
                    I don't think you'll be dissappointed.  Incidentally, he described it not as a direct JD copy, but a much nicer drink!
                  • Michael <god@perthmail.com>
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                      Hi Jason. I know you were asking about flavour bases, but FYI
                      anyway, John Vandermeulen has previously posted the mash bills for
                      many whiskeys, including JD's.

                      Jack Daniels 80% 8% 6-row 12% rye include 24% backset; collect from
                      75% to 55%; try sweeten with maple syrup to mimick the sweetness from
                      the "charcoal mellowing" process. Mature on heavy char American oak,
                      at no stronger than 65%abv

                      Personally I recommend using both the flavour base and toasted oak
                      chips to get the best results out of flavouring a neutral spirit.