Re: [new_distillers] N/S output temp

  • chic matthews
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2003
      What does N/S stand for? would someone post a link so
      I can see one please.
      --- Shane Kirkman <shanekirkman@...> wrote:
      > Short story-
      > After converting from a modifiyed Moonshine.com
      > internal reflux to a N/S still, one thing bothers
      > me. The collection temp seems very high (ie: the
      > spirit going into the collection vessel feels about
      > 50c). Is this normal ?
      >

      > Long story-
      > My still started of as a basic Moonshine.com
      > internal reflux S/steel 1m column, I wasn't happy
      > with it[85%], so I removed thru pipes and installed
      > a coil below lyne arm. After that I could totally
      > control reflux and collect at 95% plus, alas I still
      > wasn't happy, so decided to make a N/S out of
      > copper. Being a pensioner I scrounged around and
      > found enough sec/hand bits to make a N/S head, but I
      > still havn't found a length of 2" cu (1.5 to 2m).
      > Being impatient I blocked of the lyne arm in my
      > reflux and wacked the N/S head on. Whow what a
      > difference ! So much control, o why o why didn't I
      > make a N/S in the first place.
      > I toyed with the idea of adding 1/2 a meter of
      > S/Steel to the column and a gate valve on the lyne
      > arm and having two/three stills in one (N/S /-reflux
      > /-no srubbers or reflux=pot still). But I think I
      > will wait till I score some 2" Cu and put the N/S
      > head on that, and put the reflux on another boiler
      > and use it for grain/molasses type mashes.
      >
      > Morel of story if your after 96% make a N/S or
      > In/line straight up out of copper and 1.5m plus.
      >

      > Eat Drink Smoke & be Good
      > SHANE
      >

      > Eat Drink Smoke & be Good
      > SHANE

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2003
        > What does N/S stand for? would someone post a link so
        > I can see one please.

        It stands for "Nixon-Stone" - a name I use to use to describe the design in the book by John Stone & Mike Nixon, in "Making Gin & Vodka / The Distillation of Alcohol - A Professional Guide to Amateur Distillers".

        A better name for the design is the "Offset Head" ,as seen at http://homedistiller.org/photos-ns.htm

        Its the same design as in Ian Smileys "Making Pure Corn Whisky"

        Tony
      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
          Nixon/Stone or North/South

           chic matthews <notchic@...> wrote:

          What does N/S stand for? would someone post a link so
          I can see one please.
          --- Shane Kirkman <shanekirkman@...> wrote:
          > Short story-
          >     After converting from a modifiyed Moonshine.com
          > internal reflux to a N/S still, one thing bothers
          > me. The collection temp seems very high (ie: the
          > spirit going into the collection vessel feels about
          > 50c). Is this normal ?
          >

          > Long story-
          >     My still started of as a basic Moonshine.com
          > internal reflux S/steel 1m column, I wasn't happy
          > with it[85%], so I removed thru pipes and installed
          > a coil below lyne arm. After that I could totally
          > control reflux and collect at 95% plus, alas I still
          > wasn't happy, so decided to make a N/S out of
          > copper. Being a pensioner I scrounged around and
          > found enough sec/hand bits to make a N/S head, but I
          > still havn't found a length of 2" cu (1.5 to 2m).
          > Being impatient I blocked of the lyne arm in my
          > reflux and wacked the N/S head on. Whow what a
          > difference ! So much control, o why o why didn't I
          > make a N/S in the first place.
          >     I toyed with the idea of adding 1/2 a meter of
          > S/Steel to the column and a gate valve on the lyne
          > arm and having two/three stills in one (N/S /-reflux
          > /-no srubbers or reflux=pot still). But I think I
          > will wait till I score some 2" Cu and put the N/S
          > head on that, and put the reflux on another boiler
          > and use it for grain/molasses type mashes.
          >
          >     Morel of story if your after 96% make a N/S or
          > In/line straight up out of copper and 1.5m plus.
          >

          > Eat Drink Smoke & be Good
          > SHANE
          >

          > Eat Drink Smoke & be Good
          > SHANE