Re: [new_distillers] N/S output temp

  • Darryl Ward
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2003
      I always put the cold water in to the condensor at the bottom.

      The reason?

      As the cooling water rises, it completely surrounds the "worm".

      If I reversed the flow, the "worm" would only get splashed with water as it
      flowed down to the outlet, and the vapour would not be cooled to the same
      extent.

      Cheers

      Darryl

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2003
        What does N/S stand for? would someone post a link so
        I can see one please.
        --- Shane Kirkman <shanekirkman@...> wrote:
        > Short story-
        > After converting from a modifiyed Moonshine.com
        > internal reflux to a N/S still, one thing bothers
        > me. The collection temp seems very high (ie: the
        > spirit going into the collection vessel feels about
        > 50c). Is this normal ?
        >

        > Long story-
        > My still started of as a basic Moonshine.com
        > internal reflux S/steel 1m column, I wasn't happy
        > with it[85%], so I removed thru pipes and installed
        > a coil below lyne arm. After that I could totally
        > control reflux and collect at 95% plus, alas I still
        > wasn't happy, so decided to make a N/S out of
        > copper. Being a pensioner I scrounged around and
        > found enough sec/hand bits to make a N/S head, but I
        > still havn't found a length of 2" cu (1.5 to 2m).
        > Being impatient I blocked of the lyne arm in my
        > reflux and wacked the N/S head on. Whow what a
        > difference ! So much control, o why o why didn't I
        > make a N/S in the first place.
        > I toyed with the idea of adding 1/2 a meter of
        > S/Steel to the column and a gate valve on the lyne
        > arm and having two/three stills in one (N/S /-reflux
        > /-no srubbers or reflux=pot still). But I think I
        > will wait till I score some 2" Cu and put the N/S
        > head on that, and put the reflux on another boiler
        > and use it for grain/molasses type mashes.
        >
        > Morel of story if your after 96% make a N/S or
        > In/line straight up out of copper and 1.5m plus.
        >

        > Eat Drink Smoke & be Good
        > SHANE
        >

        > Eat Drink Smoke & be Good
        > SHANE

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2003
          > What does N/S stand for? would someone post a link so
          > I can see one please.

          It stands for "Nixon-Stone" - a name I use to use to describe the design in the book by John Stone & Mike Nixon, in "Making Gin & Vodka / The Distillation of Alcohol - A Professional Guide to Amateur Distillers".

          A better name for the design is the "Offset Head" ,as seen at http://homedistiller.org/photos-ns.htm

          Its the same design as in Ian Smileys "Making Pure Corn Whisky"

          Tony
        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
            Nixon/Stone or North/South

             chic matthews <notchic@...> wrote:

            What does N/S stand for? would someone post a link so
            I can see one please.
            --- Shane Kirkman <shanekirkman@...> wrote:
            > Short story-
            >     After converting from a modifiyed Moonshine.com
            > internal reflux to a N/S still, one thing bothers
            > me. The collection temp seems very high (ie: the
            > spirit going into the collection vessel feels about
            > 50c). Is this normal ?
            >

            > Long story-
            >     My still started of as a basic Moonshine.com
            > internal reflux S/steel 1m column, I wasn't happy
            > with it[85%], so I removed thru pipes and installed
            > a coil below lyne arm. After that I could totally
            > control reflux and collect at 95% plus, alas I still
            > wasn't happy, so decided to make a N/S out of
            > copper. Being a pensioner I scrounged around and
            > found enough sec/hand bits to make a N/S head, but I
            > still havn't found a length of 2" cu (1.5 to 2m).
            > Being impatient I blocked of the lyne arm in my
            > reflux and wacked the N/S head on. Whow what a
            > difference ! So much control, o why o why didn't I
            > make a N/S in the first place.
            >     I toyed with the idea of adding 1/2 a meter of
            > S/Steel to the column and a gate valve on the lyne
            > arm and having two/three stills in one (N/S /-reflux
            > /-no srubbers or reflux=pot still). But I think I
            > will wait till I score some 2" Cu and put the N/S
            > head on that, and put the reflux on another boiler
            > and use it for grain/molasses type mashes.
            >
            >     Morel of story if your after 96% make a N/S or
            > In/line straight up out of copper and 1.5m plus.
            >

            > Eat Drink Smoke & be Good
            > SHANE
            >

            > Eat Drink Smoke & be Good
            > SHANE