Re: Need Help

  • packandship2002 <packandship2002@yahoo.c
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
      I am from the USA.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dave hayward <dh19512003@y...>
      wrote:

      > I don't know what country you are from PLS tell me as there are
      easier ways of getting there
      > "packandship2002 <packandship2002@y...>" <packandship2002@y...>
      wrote:Hi all,

      > I am new to distilling. I ordered a book from brewhauser.com
      showing
      > everything I need to know about distilling alcohol, however, they
      are
      > back ordered until next week.
      >
      > So, at this point I am in the works on building a 100 gallon
      > distiller, I am working on getting the parts. I really wanted to
      wait
      > until I received the book, but am too excited.
      >
      > This is my question. To use a 100 gallon distiller, how much sugar
      > and yeast do I need and what's the best type of yeast to use. I
      know
      > I need 100 gallons of water, but the sugar and yeast I know if
      needed
      > to produce pure alcohol so I get my some essence to flavor it,
      > example, tequila, vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey you get the idea. I
      > found a dealer would will sell me the essence for 1.95 usd for each
      > bottle, which should be enough for each 3 1/2 liter. ANy help would
      > be great.
      >
      > Thanks
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

    • Brandon Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003

        I agree with Alex(Bokakob)-- unless u are going to fuel your tractor or other farm equipment-- it would be rather awkward-- try using a keg instead-- for personal consumption it will give u all u could possibly drink-- even with a couple of friends--check out his designs -- they are really simple to build and get great results-- anyway what part of the U.S. do u live in

        your brother in the spirits

        Blueflame456

        wrote:

        > I don't know what country you are from PLS tell me as there are
        easier ways of getting there
        >  "packandship2002 <packandship2002@y...>" <packandship2002@y...>
        wrote:Hi all,

        > I am new to distilling. I ordered a book from brewhauser.com
        showing
        > everything I need to know about distilling alcohol, however, they
        are
        > back ordered until next week.
        >
        > So, at this point I am in the works on building a 100 gallon
        > distiller, I am working on getting the parts. I really wanted to
        wait
        > until I received the book, but am too excited.
        >
        > This is my question. To use a 100 gallon distiller, how much sugar
        > and yeast do I need and what's the best type of yeast to use. I
        know
        > I need 100 gallons of water, but the sugar and yeast I know if
        needed
        > to produce pure alcohol so I get my some essence to flavor it,
        > example, tequila, vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey you get the idea. I
        > found a dealer would will sell me the essence for 1.95 usd for each
        > bottle, which should be enough for each 3 1/2 liter. ANy help would
        > be great.
        >
        > Thanks
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
          Tony Ackland's excellant webpage is free and has a huge amount of
          useful information. http://www.homedistiller.org/ you can also
          download the webpage as a file and read it off line.

          which book are you waiting on? 'Home Distillation HandBook' ? if you
          go to Gert Strands webpage, he has it available as a downloadable
          electronic file for about 5 dollars.
          http://www.partyman.se/default.htm Gert Strand wrote that book under
          an assumed name. You could read the book on screen while you are
          waiting for the paper copy to arrive in the mail.

          A very good book to read also is 'Making Pure Corn Whiskey' by Ian
          Smiley. That is also available in a electronic file from from his
          webpage http://www.home-distilling.com/ This is a great learners
          level book that explains the myseries of what is actually happening
          and how to build a home use scale distilling apparatus. It also
          explains the process of mashing grains in order to ferment them. I
          have had it on my computer for a long time and just bought the paper
          copy from Mike Nixon and Mike McCaw's webpage. It arrived in my mail
          box in less than 4 days.

          http://www.amphora-society.com/index.html Their book 'The Complete
          Distiller' is a most excellant book to show you how to ramp up the
          scale of your operation once you get the basics understood. They
          explain the many different methods used to distill both ethanol and
          essential oils. I have this in both paper and electronic forms.
          There is a chapter -by- chapter review available at the webpage.

          WOW a hundred gallon still. That will take a gawd-awful amount of
          sugar and yeast to feed that beast. If you go and buy a hundred and
          ninety two pounds of sugar at the local market whenever you go to
          start a batch, I guarantee that the local law will take notice of
          your identity. Trying to explain away a 20 gallon still to the judge
          is difficult enough. I would wager that the locals wouldnt even want
          to talk to you and send your case directly to the federal level.

          are you an ethanol fuel producer?

          There is a page on the http://www.brewhaus.com/turbo-yeast.asp
          webpage that shows quantities for large batches using thier prestige
          turbo yeast. For 100 gallons you would need 96 kg of sugar and 12
          packages of yurbo yeast to get 14 percent ABV. Using thier bulk
          price list, that will be about twenty six dollars 38 cents just for
          yeast everytime you start a fermentation.

          I would suggest starting this hobby on alot smaller scale. It will
          be a costly lesson if you decide that this isnt what you like to do.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "packandship2002