Need Help

  • packandship2002 <packandship2002@yahoo.c
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
      Hi all,

      I am new to distilling. I ordered a book from brewhauser.com showing
      everything I need to know about distilling alcohol, however, they are
      back ordered until next week.

      So, at this point I am in the works on building a 100 gallon
      distiller, I am working on getting the parts. I really wanted to wait
      until I received the book, but am too excited.

      This is my question. To use a 100 gallon distiller, how much sugar
      and yeast do I need and what's the best type of yeast to use. I know
      I need 100 gallons of water, but the sugar and yeast I know if needed
      to produce pure alcohol so I get my some essence to flavor it,
      example, tequila, vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey you get the idea. I
      found a dealer would will sell me the essence for 1.95 usd for each
      bottle, which should be enough for each 3 1/2 liter. ANy help would
      be great.

      Thanks
    • dave hayward
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003

        I don't know what country you are from PLS tell me as there are easier ways of getting there

         "packandship2002 <packandship2002@...>" <packandship2002@...> wrote:

[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • packandship2002 <packandship2002@yahoo.c
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
          I am from the USA.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dave hayward <dh19512003@y...>
          wrote:

          > I don't know what country you are from PLS tell me as there are
          easier ways of getting there
          > "packandship2002 <packandship2002@y...>" <packandship2002@y...>
          wrote:Hi all,

          > I am new to distilling. I ordered a book from brewhauser.com
          showing
          > everything I need to know about distilling alcohol, however, they
          are
          > back ordered until next week.
          >
          > So, at this point I am in the works on building a 100 gallon
          > distiller, I am working on getting the parts. I really wanted to
          wait
          > until I received the book, but am too excited.
          >
          > This is my question. To use a 100 gallon distiller, how much sugar
          > and yeast do I need and what's the best type of yeast to use. I
          know
          > I need 100 gallons of water, but the sugar and yeast I know if
          needed
          > to produce pure alcohol so I get my some essence to flavor it,
          > example, tequila, vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey you get the idea. I
          > found a dealer would will sell me the essence for 1.95 usd for each
          > bottle, which should be enough for each 3 1/2 liter. ANy help would
          > be great.
          >
          > Thanks
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

        • Brandon Lee
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003

            I agree with Alex(Bokakob)-- unless u are going to fuel your tractor or other farm equipment-- it would be rather awkward-- try using a keg instead-- for personal consumption it will give u all u could possibly drink-- even with a couple of friends--check out his designs -- they are really simple to build and get great results-- anyway what part of the U.S. do u live in

            your brother in the spirits

            Blueflame456

          • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
              Tony Ackland's excellant webpage is free and has a huge amount of
              useful information. http://www.homedistiller.org/ you can also
              download the webpage as a file and read it off line.

              which book are you waiting on? 'Home Distillation HandBook' ? if you
              go to Gert Strands webpage, he has it available as a downloadable
              electronic file for about 5 dollars.
              http://www.partyman.se/default.htm Gert Strand wrote that book under
              an assumed name. You could read the book on screen while you are
              waiting for the paper copy to arrive in the mail.

              A very good book to read also is 'Making Pure Corn Whiskey' by Ian
              Smiley. That is also available in a electronic file from from his
              webpage http://www.home-distilling.com/ This is a great learners
              level book that explains the myseries of what is actually happening
              and how to build a home use scale distilling apparatus. It also
              explains the process of mashing grains in order to ferment them. I
              have had it on my computer for a long time and just bought the paper
              copy from Mike Nixon and Mike McCaw's webpage. It arrived in my mail
              box in less than 4 days.

              http://www.amphora-society.com/index.html Their book 'The Complete
              Distiller' is a most excellant book to show you how to ramp up the
              scale of your operation once you get the basics understood. They
              explain the many different methods used to distill both ethanol and
              essential oils. I have this in both paper and electronic forms.
              There is a chapter -by- chapter review available at the webpage.

              WOW a hundred gallon still. That will take a gawd-awful amount of
              sugar and yeast to feed that beast. If you go and buy a hundred and
              ninety two pounds of sugar at the local market whenever you go to
              start a batch, I guarantee that the local law will take notice of
              your identity. Trying to explain away a 20 gallon still to the judge
              is difficult enough. I would wager that the locals wouldnt even want
              to talk to you and send your case directly to the federal level.

              are you an ethanol fuel producer?

              There is a page on the http://www.brewhaus.com/turbo-yeast.asp
              webpage that shows quantities for large batches using thier prestige
              turbo yeast. For 100 gallons you would need 96 kg of sugar and 12
              packages of yurbo yeast to get 14 percent ABV. Using thier bulk
              price list, that will be about twenty six dollars 38 cents just for
              yeast everytime you start a fermentation.

              I would suggest starting this hobby on alot smaller scale. It will
              be a costly lesson if you decide that this isnt what you like to do.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "packandship2002