Re: which refractometer to buy?

  • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
      this is from Matt's message 5743 from this list:
      ----------
      also, there's a new wave of affordable refractometers coming from
      China
      now, even with ATC (auto temp. compensation). I have one of these
      myself and
      while the instructions would make a native English-speaking editor
      cringe,
      the construction of the unit is quite nice. :-) Northern Brewer is
      currently selling them for $US 60.

      http://www.northernbrewer.com/analytical.html
      ----------
      This amounts to about a 50 dollar savings from the price that I paid
      for mine.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bart Engelbeen"
      <bart.engelbeen@p...> wrote:
      > With a refractometer you measure the fructose, glucose, dextrose
      and other 'ose's by difraction of the light. So you measure the real
      sugar content that will (hopefully) become alcohol.
      > If you measure SG you also take into account solids (in a mash)
      that aren't sugars but are counted for.
      > I guess it would not be very much apart anyway.
      >
      > Bart

      One
      > drop of liquid and a source of light is all that is necessary.
      10

      <waterline@o...>"
      > <waterline@o...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Here's a dumb question but anyway........... Why would I want
      > use
      > > a refractometer to measure the sugar content of a solution? Am
      > > correct in assuming that what one does? I mean...... I can
      work
      > out
      > > the sugar content from the SG can't I?
      > >
      > > Regards